PDA

View Full Version : Switching banks

Toms-SC
08-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Hey,

Looking at switching from TD to RBC. Is this going to be a huge pain in the ass? Anybody have personal experience?

Thanks

06civic
08-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Custom switch with RBC. They can do everything for you, You just have to change ur payroll. They can transfer the pre auth debits. Faster if you close and reopen acct.

dannie
08-05-2008, 11:04 AM
I transfered two of my corporations from First Calgary to RBC. It was really easy, you just have to be organized. I left a certain amount of cash in the First Calgary account for two months just in case I missed anything or a debit didn't get transfered. Better safe than sorry.

It helps to have a good rep though too.

Heff
08-05-2008, 11:19 AM
I switched banks once and it was only painful to me before the switch.

I simply walked away from Scotia Bank (who were collectively playing games with me) and started up a new account at a different financial institution who have continued to demonstrate to me that customer service and appreciation are not completely dead in the banking industry.

Beerking
08-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Heff
I switched banks once and it was only painful to me before the switch.

I simply walked away from Scotia Bank (who were collectively playing games with me) and started up a new account at a different financial institution who have continued to demonstrate to me that customer service and appreciation are not completely dead in the banking industry.

I get nothing but great service from Scotia, my bank has gone above and beyond for me. I guess it all depends on your home bank and everyone has different standards.

Heff
08-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Beerking

I get nothing but great service from Scotia, my bank has gone above and beyond for me. I guess it all depends on your home bank and everyone has different standards.

I got nothing but hassle from them. Thus, I walked away from them with all my mortgages, HELOC and investments.

My standards are pretty low, but they made an error that was easily recoverable on their end, and they did nothing to correct it, forcing me to carry a complaint all the way to the Scotia Bank ombudsman.

When a long-term customer sets up a bi-monthly pay schedule on a long term line of credit based on payroll dates, you don't mark their long-term credit rating as consistently delinquent because a payment is "due" by midnight on the 14th of the month, and payment is made at 12:01 on the 15th of the month, after verbally and specifically assuring the customer that this arrangement is perfectly acceptable to the bank.

JoeGumby
08-07-2008, 06:04 AM
I'm not sure if this will interest you but Royal Bank has a promotion for switching on right now for an EEE PC 2Gig. Here is a link to the promotion.

http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/products/deposits/nolimit/index.html

Unfortunately my account is already with them and to qualify I would have to shell out an extra $18 a month in Bank Fees. Not quite worth it for that.

rc2002
08-07-2008, 09:15 AM
I've switched banks about 5 times now. The biggest hassle is going to payroll to have them switch over for you. And as mentioned before, make sure you keep track of all the bills that are attached to your account.

^ The Free Asus PC seems like a great deal. Doesn't seem like anything is stopping people from opening an account just for the PC and then closing it...

lint
08-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
^ The Free Asus PC seems like a great deal. Doesn't seem like anything is stopping people from opening an account just for the PC and then closing it...

Au contraire:

Valid between May 1st - Sept 12, 2008.

1. Use customswitch to transfer your account balance from another Canadian financial institution
2. transfer or setup at least 2 pre-authourized payments from your new account
3. transfer your direct deposit from payroll or pension. If you dont have one you can discuss other options.
4. Select paperless statement option on your new account
5. Pay at least one bill through RBC online banking from your new account.

You will be contacted when you meet the requirements to get your FREE Asus Eee PC

You must maintain use of your account and visa until Dec 2008 (with 1 transaction per month).

Thread on the topic on rfd http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583610&highlight=rbc+eee

rc2002
08-07-2008, 09:56 AM
^ Thanks for the info. It's actually not a bad deal if you set it up in September and only keep it for 4 months. $13.95 monthly fee and a bit of hassle and you have a free Asus EEE PC!

prae
08-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
^ Thanks for the info. It's actually not a bad deal if you set it up in September and only keep it for 4 months. $13.95 monthly fee and a bit of hassle and you have a free Asus EEE PC!

yeah. I considered doing it as an existing customer but then decided the hassle in switching account types and the nearly $100 in fees didnt quite make it worth it for a notebook worth a few hundred.

not a bad deal.