PDA

View Full Version : Why are cars getting less sleek?

stratusdodge
08-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Seems like cars are getting boxier and boxier...why? Is it because sleek has become out of style? I know a few cars that could use a good sleekin' (echo?), but since the ford focus, boxy has been in. What are we gonna think of these boxes 20 years from now?

DannyO
08-05-2008, 12:17 PM
What are you on about? just look how sleek and aerodynamic this concept is.

http://www.automopedia.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/nissan_denki_cube-500px.jpg

Thaco
08-05-2008, 12:24 PM
why do you keep starting flamewar topic questions that you really do not care about the answer to?

Gibson
08-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Car styles wax and wane over time. Cars with very "round" styling were common in the 60's and then in the 80's "boxy" was the new style. Hell, every Japanese car that came out of the 80's looked exactly the same. Late 90's and early 00's produced fairly sleek cars, but yeah, they seem to be heading back towards a little more boxy.

schocker
08-05-2008, 12:26 PM
if anything, i think chryslers are getting more sleek

kevie88
08-05-2008, 12:33 PM
I've been wondering this for a long time as well.. When I was a kid we used to lust after cars that were cool looking and performed well. I always wanted a serious performance car.

Nowadays everyone wants rediculous hulking SUV's that don't handle, don't stop and don't turn, use insane amounts of fuel and have no real room inside. Not to mention looking like boxes or eggs on wheels.

I asked a co-worker once what made her want to buy a suburban and she replied "because it's so cool!". I asked her to quantify "cool" for me and tell me what made it "cool". She couldn't answer and after some prodding to explain ended up telling me that I was 'just jealous'.

stratusdodge
08-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
why do you keep starting flamewar topic questions that you really do not care about the answer to?

If anyones starting a flamewar right now it's you. go away!

stratusdodge
08-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by schocker
if anything, i think chryslers are getting more sleek

I agree.

avishal26
08-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by kevie88

Nowadays everyone wants rediculous hulking SUV's that don't handle, don't stop and don't turn, use insane amounts of fuel and have no real room inside. Not to mention looking like boxes or eggs on wheels.

NOT TRUE! :D I love the FX35 :D:D

Although I wouldn't mind drivin the QX56 either

B20EF
08-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by avishal26

It always reminds me of a rhinoceros, it's so big and bold - very un-sleek

TrailBlazerSS
08-05-2008, 12:54 PM
gee, I guess by the look of it I'm with the "everyone" who wants to drive a big hulking SUV for no apparent reason... to each his own.

I guess if "everyone" drove around in a *insert 'sleek' vehicle here*, how exciting the world would be...

kevie88
08-05-2008, 12:54 PM

haha egg lover :rofl:

alloroc
08-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by stratusdodge
Seems like cars are getting boxier and boxier...why? Is it because sleek has become out of style? I know a few cars that could use a good sleekin' (echo?), but since the ford focus, boxy has been in. What are we gonna think of these boxes 20 years from now?

Lower is better

2000 Toyota Echo Drag coefficient 0.29
2008 Scion XB Drag coefficient 0.32
2006 Dodge stratus Drag coefficient 0.36
2008 Saturn Sky drag coefficient 0.42

:dunno:
I guess even what 'you' would consider a sleek car isn't so 'sleek' if the engineering sucks.

Mr_ET
08-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by stratusdodge

I agree.

I see what you did there

avishal26
08-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by B20EF

It always reminds me of a rhinoceros, it's so big and bold - very un-sleek

lol thats why I love it. It also has a bit of style. Its the best looking box ever! :D

AM NOT!

msommers
08-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by B20EF
It always reminds me of a rhinoceros

It doesn't get any more serious than a rhinocerus about to charge your ass

Fuji
08-05-2008, 04:31 PM
I thought the FX35/45 looked liek a jellybean...

B20EF
08-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by msommers

It doesn't get any more serious than a rhinocerus about to charge your ass

:rofl:

bituerbo
08-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Pedestrian safety requirements.

Tomaz
08-06-2008, 01:37 PM
i prefer a little bit from both worlds. Nothing really boxy, nor do i want something that looks like a aerofoil.

Perfect example: Chrysler ME Four - Twelve
This car has the general sleekness of an aerofoil, but has very defined features that make it look "boxy". I love sharp angles as long as it doesnt affect the aerodynamics of the vehicle. Ig uess it's all about personal choice.

nj2Type-S
08-13-2008, 01:57 PM

i think the fx35 is sexy :bigpimp:

avishal26
08-13-2008, 06:55 PM
The new fx50.. :love: :drool:

http://banatmotors.ro/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/fx50-1.jpg

ZorroAMG
08-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Huh? That looks like a fucking fish...a retarded fish.

Boxy FTW :D

http://homepage.mac.com/markghanime/.Pictures/Enzo/July27.2.jpg

Although the Vantage isn't exactly boxy, sooooo.......:nut:

Redlyne_mr2
08-13-2008, 07:24 PM
banned for being annoying lol

nj2Type-S
08-14-2008, 04:18 AM
The new fx50.. :love: :drool:

http://banatmotors.ro/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/fx50-1.jpg

lol, yeah i actually don't like the looks of the new fx50. i think the previous gen is much sexier, hehe

cityhunter2501
08-14-2008, 06:21 AM
only reason why I want a SUV like a sequoia, navigator or qx56 is for out of town driving/weekend.

drove a 2008 yukon slt and had a blast driving it to sylvan lake:love:

shin0bi
08-14-2008, 09:54 AM
I agree... Seems like cars lately are getting larger and larger. Not just boxier...

Manufacturers all say things like "more safety features mean more bulk"... but really? Do you NEED to have a roofline on a sports car to be 6 feet off the ground? How does that play a role in safety?

I WISH things would go back to the good ol' days of sports cars being sleek, aerodynamic, and LIGHT!

1996 Saturn SC2 = +/- 2200 lbs curb weight.
2006 Saturn Ion coupe = +/- 2900 lbs curb weight. And these days, that's considered LIGHT!

Nissan 300zx - sporty, low to the ground, gorgeous, and streamlined.
Nissan 350Z - Sporty, low to the ground, gorgeous, and rocking a bubble for a roof. It still manages to look brilliant, but sadly, not all new sports cars can boast the same.

Perhaps it has to do with the weight of the average north american being on the rise?

Destinova403
08-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by shin0bi
I agree... Seems like cars lately are getting larger and larger. Not just boxier...

Manufacturers all say things like "more safety features mean more bulk"... but really? Do you NEED to have a roofline on a sports car to be 6 feet off the ground? How does that play a role in safety?

I WISH things would go back to the good ol' days of sports cars being sleek, aerodynamic, and LIGHT!

1996 Saturn SC2 = +/- 2200 lbs curb weight.
2006 Saturn Ion coupe = +/- 2900 lbs curb weight. And these days, that's considered LIGHT!

Nissan 300zx - sporty, low to the ground, gorgeous, and streamlined.
Nissan 350Z - Sporty, low to the ground, gorgeous, and rocking a bubble for a roof. It still manages to look brilliant, but sadly, not all new sports cars can boast the same.

Perhaps it has to do with the weight of the average north american being on the rise?

none of those cars, with the exception of MAYBE the ion, would pass todays crash safety tests, or carry the necessary safety equipment to be certified, also consider emissions control as well.

airbags, abs brakes, traction/stability control, large side structural beams, soft hoods, and large round bumpers for pedestrians, large crumple zones, regulations saying the windows on the side have to be a certain height off the ground, cat converters/other emission control

those things all contribute to the size and weight of modern cars.
older cars like a 300ZX or a 240SX would never pass the regulations today.

not to mention that it is proven time and time again that americans dont like really small cars, why do you think even the civic has grown a ton, because thats ultimately what the consumers want

thats not even takign into consideration the comfort features, technology, and luxury items that people have come to expect in a new car.

shin0bi
08-14-2008, 10:56 AM
Very true.
I guess in my case its just wishful thinking.
From a personal standpoint, I've always prefered small, nimble vehicles over big loud heavy vehicles.

I've heard rumors that both Toyota, and Honda are looking into manufacturing carbon fibre on a wide scale so that vehicles can be made lighter, while still affordable for the average joe. I believe they have even received Japanese government grants for the R + D. If successful, this could be the start of a beautiful new trend in making new cars light and good on gas.

Hopefully other manufacturers take note, as the big american 3 could sure use some innovation in their products.