PDA

View Full Version : Who works in optical, or knows people that do?

mslbebiz
08-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Do you work in the optical industry, either as an optometrist, opthalmic assistant or optician? Or know anyone that does?

If so, what are your experiences? Many men in the profession, besides the doctors? (Seems a lot of the doctors are men)

This industry seems to really be going places and it looks like it pays very well, even for the entry level jobs. Could be something to consider.

Any feedback would be of interest.

mslbebiz
08-08-2008, 10:05 AM
125 people have read this and nobody has any comments?

I guess this is even more specialized than I originally thought.

topmade
08-08-2008, 10:38 AM
I know three people who own their own shops. Two of them knew nothing and worked under the first guy and then once they knew enough, they got their license to do vision tests, they started their own shops. This is a matter of just a few years. I don't know how much money they make, but probably are making decent money because they have been running their own shops for a few years now.

And if it makes any difference, main person was a male and the two others were male and female.

lint
08-08-2008, 11:17 AM
doesn't 4wslude own a place?

HiSpec
08-08-2008, 11:50 PM
To be an optician, you need a company that will back you up with your trainings. Such as Lenscrafters, if you apply as an optician, they will put you thru their course and obtain a license.

Optometrist and opthalogist, is something you need to go with school with, pretty much something similar to med school. But not many people know the difference between sight test and vision test. And those people believe anyone can do that as long as they work in an optical work environment.

You can get a feel of what working in an optometry environment is like by applying at an optical clinic... eg Dr. Bishop and Assosicate.

benyl
08-09-2008, 08:19 AM
An ophthalmologist is a medical doctor. You need to go to med school for it.

Optometrist is kinda like a Chiropractor. They call you doctor, but you have no PHD or medical degree.

max_boost
08-11-2008, 05:16 PM
As a starting optician, you can expect to make on avg. $30-34K/year. The " big" money on the optician side is to own your own business. My GF worked in and knows several people in the industry. One optician, who had 20 years exp. was getting paid $40K/year...but then it also depends on the owners of the shop. Others where making $75K/year as opticians (not shop owners)!

You have to take a course through NAIT that is 2 years to become certified as an optician, the course is approx. $1600/year from what I remember. My GF took the course a few years ago. You do need an optical company to train you as you need to bank hours to get certified. Some companies will pay the tuition for you.

I'm not sure about the industry really taking off...more like it is a necessity for many people. People will always be needing glasses, contacts.

Based on what the GF says, she enjoyed the work. But for what it is worth, she is now pursuing a completely different career path! :rofl:

mslbebiz
08-11-2008, 05:36 PM
What interests me is the ophthalmology side of things, working with people to diagnose and test eye conditions, assisting with laser surgery, pre and post-op consultations, etc. A lot different than an optician's job.

Seems the minimum is about $40k/year for this position to $80k/year as an ophthalmic assistant (entry level). Techs earn more.