A790
08-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Mercato - 224 4th St S.W. - (403) 263-5535

Ambiance: 3/5
Service: 4/5
Food: 4.5/5
Value: 3/5
Overall: 4/5

Summary: A great restaurant with a solid menu that departs from the traditional Italian fare- just don’t expect intimacy with your companions.

Introduction:

A good friend of mine and I like to dine out. It’s our “thing”, and our once-a-week ritual has shown us some fabulous restaurants that many people in Calgary haven’t heard of. Mercato is one such restaurant that is trendy enough to be inviting for today’s “entitled” patrons, but also established enough to survive the long haul.

Unlike many restaurants that are just a flash in the pan, Mercato has the flavour and the image to serve a dish that will last.

Service:

I arrived, as usual, before my companion. This is nothing new, and as usual, I was shown to my table. This is when I first realized that tonight was going to be something a bit different: there are no tables, but rather counters, and you sit next to anyone else who might be dining that night.

Our server (well, MY server until my companion arrived) served me from across the counter. My companion had reserved a spot that was directly in front of the open kitchen, and while it was very cool to be able to see everything being prepared, it also got quite warm. Apparently, grills can get hot.

From across the counter I learned that Mercato does not have hard liquor, so cocktails, martini’s, and anything other than beer and wine are simply off the menu. She did know how to correctly pour a Stella, and she knew her wine as well.

While nothing that I would say was above and beyond what was expected, our server did her job well and with the right amount of jive in her step. There were no complaints from either one of us.

Atmosphere:

Mercato is best described as modern Italian dining with shopping and groceries thrown in. Seriously. There is a small market in the back of the restaurant where you can purchase bread, cheese, sauces, and just about anything and everything else you’ll need to recreate one of their amazing dishes for yourself at home.

The counters are a great way to fit more people into the restaurant, and surprisingly I never felt cramped. However, there was little in the way of sound barriers and it did get quite noisy, especially being seated directly in front of the grill.

I am one for privacy when I’m out, and so I felt a bit distracted by the set up of the restaurant. However, given how well everything was implemented it was easy to overlook, and eventually, forget.

Food:

This is what defines a restaurant, and Mercato was able to hit some real winners home. Their menu, which has some traditional favourites as well as modern fusions, is exceptional. There is a little something for everyone, and I’ve made a point of reserving a table next week so I can go back and try some of the other dishes that I was considering.

I started with the Carpaccio ($9), which had just enough spice to highlight the flavour of the meat without overpowering it. As well, it was small enough that I was anxiously awaiting my meal.

I followed the Carpaccio with Agnello ($38), which was cooked perfectly. I can remember my first bite delivering such a rush of flavours that I was nearly overwhelmed (in a good way). This was one of the only meals where I literally had to force myself to slow down to enjoy it, as my first instinct was to gobble it down as quickly as I could. I can’t recall, in recent memory anyway, a meal that I enjoyed as much as that one. It will be hard NOT to order it again when I go back.

Following the Agnello was Insalta ($5), a pretty basic salad just to settle everything.

Conclusion:

We had a great time, despite the fact that I was unable to order cocktails and that we were sitting at a counter. The ambiance may not be suitable for all occasions, but Mercato is definitely a restaurant worth checking out. You can expect to pay around $150 for two, including appetizers, mains, and a couple of drinks.

malcolmk14
08-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Would you recommend Il Sogno over Mercato (based on the food alone)

Baron O' Funk
08-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the review. I've eaten there once, it was definitely good food, on par with most of the other upscale Italian restaurants.

A790
08-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by malcolmk14
Would you recommend Il Sogno over Mercato (based on the food alone)
I really enjoyed Mercato, but to be honest, I haven't given Il Sogno a fair shot (only been there for apps).

dannie
08-06-2008, 04:41 PM
I would take Mercato over Il Sogno anyday. Mercato is fabulous! I eat there at least once a week. If you want to try something really good, the Bisteca for two is awesome!!

ZorroAMG
08-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Damn, dannie, I was gonna say the steak for two is FTW!!!

gpomp
08-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by A790
You can expect to pay around $150 for two, including appetizers, mains, and a couple of drinks.
LOL, $150 for two sounds pretty damn cheap to me. Is this not including any drinks or something?

Are you guys all students on a budget or something?

My lunch tab is that much for two people.

GQBalla
08-06-2008, 05:46 PM
89coupe wannabe right hurrrrrrrr ^^^^

but back on track of the thread -

ill be definately checking out this place.

question though how is it for vegetarian?

dannie
08-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Awesome for vegetarian. Their pastas are exquisite. The Taglatelli or the Gigli, the bruschetta.... just ask the server. Anything you want changed, they will change for you. Seriously, my favorite in Calgary. The staff are awesome especially once they know you, the food is so fresh and you run into some really cool people. I sat next to the head of hockey canada a couple weeks ago, and a few of the flames guys go there before every home game for the bisteca.

Bisteca FTW Zorro!! :D

Oh, and I was there for dinner last nite. Does that make me an addict?? :)

A790
08-07-2008, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by dannie
Awesome for vegetarian. Their pastas are exquisite. The Taglatelli or the Gigli, the bruschetta.... just ask the server. Anything you want changed, they will change for you. Seriously, my favorite in Calgary. The staff are awesome especially once they know you, the food is so fresh and you run into some really cool people. I sat next to the head of hockey canada a couple weeks ago, and a few of the flames guys go there before every home game for the bisteca.

Bisteca FTW Zorro!! :D

Oh, and I was there for dinner last nite. Does that make me an addict?? :)
Whammy, we've got an activist right hurrrrrrrr :D

dannie
08-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Totally!! :D

l/l/rX
08-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla

this place is great matt! the vegetarian dishes are really good. i've been to mercato's quite a few times, i even have their number saved in my phone. haha. if you go you may want to make reso's.

I'm usually with a girl when i go to this place to eat, and whats cool about it is that you can order half portions for half the price. every girl has said it has just been the right amount for them.

the steaks at this place look AMAZING. i've never had it though, as it looks fucking huuuuuuge! the tiramisu for dessert is fantastic!

malcolmk14
09-26-2008, 03:36 PM
Tried Mercato on Wednesday night. Definitely one of the better restaurants in the city.

Ambiance: 4/5
Service: 3/5
Food: 5/5
Value: 4/5
Overall: 4/5

Everything was great, food was incredible, I was really impressed. Service was lacking a little though, I found our server was a bit inattentive and lost track of us for some of the time.

Bistecca was incredible.

A790
09-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Going there again tonight, I'm sure it will be exceptional (as always).

ekguy
09-26-2008, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

most italian places will cater to vegetarians quite easily. Pasta that has sausage or chicken in it....Simple take it out.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

It's on mine and my girlfriend's to try list. Has been for a long time. This thread as me convinced and will be trying this weekend.

Good review.

A790
09-26-2008, 11:18 PM
Just got back from dinner, and once again I am thoroughly impressed. This restaurant is truly a gem.

GQBalla
09-27-2008, 09:04 AM
i have to try this soon

pinoyhero
09-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the write up, always curious, I'll check it out.

403ep3
09-27-2008, 09:21 AM
I've been there a couple times and the service is awesome. Try to get a seat near the cooks so you can watch them cook.

tabouli
09-27-2008, 05:58 PM
The dollar value on the review ought to be taken with a grain of salt.

I frequent this place often.... If you only want to stop for a sandwich, drink, and snack, you can expect to pay less than $40 for two people. On the other hand, if you take a companion for a full meal with lots of drinks it can go over $100 no problem. Depends on the situation.

A790
09-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by tabouli
The dollar value on the review ought to be taken with a grain of salt.

I frequent this place often.... If you only want to stop for a sandwich, drink, and snack, you can expect to pay less than $40 for two people. On the other hand, if you take a companion for a full meal with lots of drinks it can go over $100 no problem. Depends on the situation.
I don't think we're talking about the same place there bud seeing as how a single course can cost upwards of $35.

dannie
09-28-2008, 08:55 AM
^ He may be talking about grabbing a panini from the market side. If you go in after the kitchen in the restaurant is closed, you can go to the market side and pick up something to eat and eat at the restaurant side.

tabouli
09-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by A790
I don't think we're talking about the same place there bud seeing as how a single course can cost upwards of $35.

Do you even know about the market/deli side?
It's impossible to miss. I suggest everyone try it.

You can have a wide variety of things made on the spot, and pick out drinks or desserts to accompany. The PHENOMENAL sandwiches are only about $10. Drinks from the cooler are around $2. Side items are usually around $5. Once you've paid you're able to take your food over to the dining area or patio to sit and enjoy. I do it all the time alone or with friends. Always less than $60 for two .... Since there's only one Mercato in the city, I'm sure we're talking about the same place.

A790
09-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by tabouli

Do you even know about the market/deli side?
It's impossible to miss. I suggest everyone try it.

You can have a wide variety of things made on the spot, and pick out drinks or desserts to accompany. The PHENOMENAL sandwiches are only about $10. Drinks from the cooler are around $2. Side items are usually around $5. Once you've paid you're able to take your food over to the dining area or patio to sit and enjoy. I do it all the time alone or with friends. Always less than $60 for two .... Since there's only one Mercato in the city, I'm sure we're talking about the same place.
Yes, but it's not open for dinner and that's what this thread is about.

A790
01-26-2009, 05:41 PM
UPDATE:

I went there again last night with a female companion and was seated at a table by the window. At first I felt a bit crammed in (there were 3 tables boxing us in), but I relaxed a bit once I was settled. As well, the other tables were on their way out as we arrived at 8 pm.

Once again enjoyed a fantastic meal, though I think in the winter time seating at the counter closest to the "kitchen" is probably the place to be. Still strongly recommended by yours truly. :)

z24_wheels
01-28-2009, 01:11 PM
Love the food at Mercato. I do not care for the seating at all. I want to be comfortable while enjoying food of that quality.

CKY
02-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Does anybody know what time
the restaurant side of Mercato closes at?

A790
02-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by CKY
Does anybody know what time
the restaurant side of Mercato closes at?
I believe the kitchen closes at 10, but I may be mistaken.