PDA

View Full Version : New Car Purchase from US

4CylFiero
08-06-2008, 03:19 PM
What if any car companies would carry the warrenty over from the US to Canada.

Additonally does anyone happen to know if i purchased an 08 REPO vehicle if i could reinstate the warrenty.

I'm sick of screwing around with lemons i want the security of a new car.

Thanks

dr_jared88
08-06-2008, 03:25 PM
I don't have an absolute answers but I know most if not all companies have requirements saying the car has to be registered in the US for X amount of time before they can be imported and have the warranty transferred.

Crymson
08-06-2008, 03:28 PM
check out http://www.carswithoutborders.com/ , i think they have a list somewhere of manufactures who do and do not, honour cross border warantees

Redlyne_mr2
08-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Even though the warranty may be honored across borders often the vehicles must pass an inspection at a dealership for the warranty to be reinstated in Canada. If the vehicle has any serious warranty claims or lemon history from the US then the Canadian manufacturer can deny offering warranty.

Ferio_vti
08-06-2008, 03:41 PM
http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?DocID=253

schocker
08-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Depends from year to year though and on the manufacturer. Best bet is to either contact them, also if you can find the owners manual online it usually states it in the warranty section.

Crymson
08-06-2008, 04:16 PM
nice link to the APA site! thanks!

LittleAngel
08-06-2008, 04:42 PM
What kind of car?

I worked at toyota and the usa warranty was valid in canada. but we would need to form one to ensure it has a "clean title" if it was a write off there would be no warranty just like a canadian veh.

some things you need to be carful tho cuz some accessories that are on veh that were bought in the usa wernt offered in canada, so those wouldnt be warranty as they wouldnt be able to order them

Lots of things to consider, lots more work. more time you have to wait to get things done. It's not as simple as taking your canadian veh to a dealer in canada and they do the work on the spot... the usa veh that is at a canadian dealer will need to talk with manufacture to ensure the veh is still covered by the warranty...

4CylFiero
08-09-2008, 12:13 AM
Well Ideally i wanted an 08 wrx for 25ish in the states, however i might settle for the base. I found out Subaru does cover warrenty however you pay first then subaru international decides to reimburse. Potential for 6months wait, don't think i want that.

Xtrema
08-09-2008, 12:25 AM
Why not lease? Let the manufacturer worry about resale value.

LittleAngel
08-09-2008, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Why not lease? Let the manufacturer worry about resale value.

He isnt talking about resale value... he's talking about the warranty and having to pay up front for a repair and then get reimbursed from dealer down the road...