PDA

View Full Version : Taste of Calgary 2008

dj_rice
08-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Calgary's festival of fabulous food and distinguishing drinks is back! Taste of Calgary returns to the Festival Plaza @ Eau Claire August 7 - 10, 2008 with sensational samples from Calgary’s most interesting restaurants and beverage companies.

Buy sampling tickets at the event for $.75 each. All menu items are sample-sized, at sample-sized pricing. Admission to the festival is free with live entertainment throughout the event at the Main Stage

Anybody ever go to this annual event?If so, is there a certain food stand that you have to try out...etc..?Any experiences would be appreciated

Lucky97
08-06-2008, 07:50 PM
never been to one but i am ganna check it out tomorrow

rmk
08-06-2008, 07:52 PM
damn. rice posts a cultured thread/event :eek:

taste of calgary kicks ass! everyone should get down and check it out.

dj_rice
08-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by rmk
damn. rice posts a cultured thread/event :eek:

taste of calgary kicks ass! everyone should get down and check it out.

In case you didnt know, I use to be in the Culinary Arts field/profession way back in the day....:D

Any stands to go to for sure?How are the crowds?Pretty packed?

Heres the Tasting Menu

http://www.tasteofcalgary.com/Menu_2008.htm

rmk
08-06-2008, 07:58 PM
most of the cool restaurants around town have booths with samples. in fact, alot of the stuff reviewed on beyond will be down there. yes, big crowds. beer tent with micro brews FTW.

rawsensation
08-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

Anybody ever go to this annual event?If so, is there a certain food stand that you have to try out...etc..?Any experiences would be appreciated [/B]

:werd:
looking at going myself, there website seems to be down at the moment

rinny
08-06-2008, 08:02 PM
I went last year...it gets pretty pricey if you think about it. Take several of those tickets, get bite size proportions, you're not full at the end and you spent $15/pp at least, and the good booths always have a long ass line up.

Not to say that I wont check it out tomorrow because the ol' lady was just asking yesterday when it was this year because she wanted to go.

Quiet10
08-06-2008, 08:09 PM
My girlfriend works for Sushi Kai and will be working it Thursday through Sunday so I will probably end up going there. :)

Paul
08-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Stupid event.

Calgary has no culture, anytime an event like this happens - the crowds are rediculous. I'll never go again. Only street festival I've actually enjoyed was Salsa Fest.

:thumbsdow to Taste of Calgary. Maybe if it was a 2 day event it'd be better.

Amysicle
08-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Paul
Stupid event.

Calgary has no culture, anytime an event like this happens - the crowds are rediculous. I'll never go again. Only street festival I've actually enjoyed was Salsa Fest.

:thumbsdow to Taste of Calgary. Maybe if it was a 2 day event it'd be better. :werd: You'll always have those stupid people who brings their dogs or hummer strollers and feel the need to stop right infront of you to talk to their friend going in the other direction, thus effectively blocking everyone from moving.

B20EF
08-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Paul
:thumbsdow to Taste of Calgary. Maybe if it was a 2 day event it'd be better.

The banners down there said it is a four day event, or did you mean two days would be better than four

sh0ko
08-06-2008, 08:59 PM
been there once and thats about all ill go for...

the tickets actually get expensive really quick ..think of it like galaxy land.... each ticket costs .75cents... but food ranges from like 3-6 tickets or more...so gets $ real fast

nothings really that special in terms of taste... its all shit im sure many ppl have tried.. nothing outta this world thats a must try..andthe portions can be very tiny depending which stand ur at (make sure u scout ppls dishes to c how much stands are giving) ive seen ppl pay 5 tickets for a piece of meat no bigger than 2 of my fingers and it costed em like 5+ tickets

however it is an experience but just a one time thing... its somethin to do as well!

great place for a date as well

hope this helps people

rinny
08-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by sh0ko

great place for a date as well

:werd:

If you've got a new brawd on your hands take em down here...and then back to your hood after a few shots of beers in the beer gardens

cdnsir
08-06-2008, 09:17 PM
I don't mind it. Sure it seems pricey but you're there to try out things you normally might not try right, so I think it's worth it. My example is Ethiopian food. Tried it, definitely didn't like it. So instead of wasting a full plate of food at their restaurant, i only threw out a small piece...

That said, I recommend the beef ribs there. Just stock up cuz the line will be huge at that stand. Then take your food to the beer garden and drink your nite away. I also like trying out different raw oysters and curries there too. :thumbsup:

hampstor
08-07-2008, 09:05 AM
We've done this a few times - you go down to sample all the different types of food at each restaurant. Definately a lot cheaper then going for a meal at a place you've never been only to find out you don't like that kind of food!

From this year's menu, I would definately be checking out:

Carribean Choice
Delice Pastry
The Embarcadero
Ric's Grill
Tropika Malaysian Cuisine
Wild Ginger

And of course, you have to do the beef on the bun and the beef ribs. :drool:

This year we are probably going to pass though, we've got a newborn (1 week old today!!) but we're looking forward to bringing him with us to this next year.

Fusion
08-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Fresh Oyster
BBQ Oyster
Crab Claws
Ahi Tuna Ceviche

Yummy..

DJ_NAV
08-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Doesn't globalfest have a similar thing too?

Altezza
08-08-2008, 03:15 AM
If you're after food value, this is not an event for you. However, if you want to enjoy the great weather, be out in Eau Claire, and want to do something that's non-routine, it's pretty decent to go hang out with friends and try some different kinds of foods.

gqmw
08-08-2008, 04:16 AM
I went down at around..7ish or so? Crowds weren't too bad, prices are a bit expensive I guess but it's not too bad for a snack or something.

Euro838
08-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Was there yesterday afternoon, no crowds and was good relaxing atmosphere. I'd suspect that starting today it'll be a lot busier. Yes, don't expect it to be a buffet or anything. There some items with value. Some of the items that I would mention are:

Beef Ribs - 6 tickets but they are big.
Pegasus Calamari - 4 tickets but wasn't very good and portion was small.
Pegasus Lamb - 4 or 5 tickets (can't remember) Very good and decent portion size.
Salt and Pepper Ribs - 4 tickets, nothing phenomenal but can't go wrong with ribs.
Fish balls - 3 tickets, if you like fish balls then.....

A few sushi places but I didn't try because I'd rather go to the actual restaurant to satisfy my cravings.

As for drinks, most mixed drinks are 3 tickets. The good deal I think is with Brewsters which are only 2 tickets for a beer. There's a place that sells a good tasting ice cap but after downing their sample, you realize for the same price you could have gotten a Timmy's ice cap which is 3-4 times larger!

Baron O' Funk
08-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Ill be checking this out Saturday night, I enjoy the Calgary Wine and Food Festival at the Big 4, so hopefully this will be on par and something similar.

n1zm0
08-08-2008, 01:52 PM
So this is IN or infront of eauclaire market or Prince's Island park?

Originally posted by hampstor
Tropika Malaysian Cuisine

nooo another fake M'sian restaurant w/ an HK chef 'trained' in S.E asian cuisine, just like Malaysian Wok :rolleyes:

DJ_NAV
08-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Malay food kinda sucks IMO.

Euro838
08-08-2008, 02:02 PM
It's between the Sheraton and Eau Claire behind the Barley Mill.

The Cosworth
08-08-2008, 02:14 PM
checked it out today. Not bad food, good ladies.

Especially the Chicago chophouse girls :drool:

D911
08-08-2008, 02:21 PM
how late are they open till?

dj_rice
08-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by D911
how late are they open till?

Open 11:00 AM - 9:00 PM daily!

STi403
08-08-2008, 04:05 PM
the ribs are worth every penny.

Ben
08-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Remember not to enter those free draws, so that a month or 2 down the road you get bombarded by telemarketers offering you a free vacation if you pay a 500 or 1000 dollar booking fee or whatever. lol. there was a thread on it a while back.

n1zm0
08-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by DJ_NAV
Malay food kinda sucks IMO.

ha are you of east indian descent by any chance?

or waht did you have that gave you that notion?