PDA

View Full Version : Buying Online (Clothes)

Skyline_Addict
08-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Hi,
Has anyone here had experience with buying clothes online? I am planning to buy some clothes from a company based in Hong Kong which imports merchandise to its warehouse from Japan and South Korea. The only option for delivery is Express delivery through a courier such as FedEx or UPS. It's only going to be about $170 CAD worth of clothing and isn't bulky and will be coming in a modestly sized package (buying a pair of pants and two shirts). Based on the amount I'm spending, I get free shipping, but I'm wondering if anyone can give me a ballpark figure of what I should expect for brokerage fees, additional taxes, other fees, etc.

Thanks!

hustler
08-07-2008, 08:12 AM
tell them to send it as a gift and you may not even get penalized

GQBalla
08-07-2008, 08:34 AM
last time i shipped with ups express it was marked $80 dollers which i paid but as a gift.

i had to pay the ups guy 2 dollers and change.

i dunno if i got lucky or what but that time was good for me

Skyline_Addict
08-07-2008, 09:05 AM
^^ so you told the company you were buying from to send it to you as a gift intended for someone else?

Brutucus
08-07-2008, 09:07 AM
i think gifts = no duty charges

rc2002
08-07-2008, 09:26 AM
You get them to mark it as a gift for yourself. But gifts incur customs charges unless their declared value is under $20. You would only have $20 of insurance on your $170 package though.

GQBalla
08-07-2008, 09:39 AM
it was a gift to myself - LOL HID's for my bike

Skyline_Addict
08-07-2008, 10:07 AM
hmmm hopefully the store is willing to declare it as a gift, but I did read somewhere that they do not as part of their policy. guess i should contact customer service :(

max_boost
08-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Hopefully it is Fedex instead of UPS. I believe UPS charges much more brokerages fees than Fedex. Expect to pay their brokerage fees and customs/duties is usually just the GST, but then again, they can also tax you depending on where the item was made.

IIRC through UPS on a package that was similar in price coming from the US, I paid about $35USD extra since they shipped UPS. Since then, I avoid sites that ship UPS! :nut:

The_Rural_Juror
08-07-2008, 10:16 AM
I never get brokerage with USPS and Fedex. Usually it's UPS that sucks nutsack. The downside with USPS is that you can't track it.