PDA

View Full Version : New USGA rules on Irons

ramminghard
08-07-2008, 04:04 PM
Any thoughts?

http://www.pgatour.com/2008/r/08/05/usga.rules/index.html

syeve
08-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Makes sense to me, I don't see this being a HUGE deal. I have some old Taylormade ICW's and they had "illegal" U groves, they performed pretty much the same as any V groove I have ever played with.

PGA players these days are so damn good...I doubt they will even blink.

bigboom
08-07-2008, 10:16 PM
this has been in the works for the last couple years and i think you are going to see scores go up to start because of the bomb and gouge style of golf played today. drive it as far as you can and if you need to hack it out of the rough you can rely on your grooves to give you more control. im not a pro and even i notice the difference when i play new wedges compared to older ones.

of course this wont mkae a difference to people who dont use spin to control their ball but to any that relies on a ball to check up you will see a difference in their scoring until they rejudge their distances of course.

and the other thing this will do is force players to buy conforming wedges if they want to play tournaments and such (after the grandfathering period of course)

r3cc0s
08-08-2008, 12:27 AM
To me, this is easily as ridiculous of a rule as the COR thinness on the driver.

There is a Golf Digest article reflectin that grooves don't add spin unless you've got things such as sand or rough in the way when you trap the ball.

If they want to even out the playing field... standardize the ball
limit compression, core size and cover thickness

not stupid things such as grooves

syeve
08-08-2008, 09:39 AM
^^I agree, ball technology is a big reason scores are so low. Limiting ball compression makes way more sense to me. :dunno: