PDA

View Full Version : Breaking telus laptop contract?

Legless_Marine2
08-07-2008, 10:19 PM
My elderly mother in Law signed up for a "free" laptop with Telus. Every time Vista updates, it kills her internet connexion, and my wife has to go over to fix it. She's spent more time being buck-passed between Dell and Telus tech support than her mother has been able to use the laptop.

Now Mother in Law wants to return the laptop - But is surprised to find out that it's not that easy, and that she's locked in for 3 years (Surprise!!). They've told her there's a ~600 dollar penalty for breaking her contract.

Is there any way for this lady to get out of the contract without the penalty? It's clear to me that this laptop is shit, and that this elderly, non-english speaker has basically been taken advantage of.

Advice appreciated.

The Cosworth
08-07-2008, 10:24 PM
nope.

she legally signed a contract, it is all party's responsibility to understand the terms of a contract before agreeing. Therefore your argument of her being taken advantage of holds no water unless you can prove deception on behalf of the CSR at telus.

topmade
08-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Nope, otherwise there wouldn't be any point in contracts. But how long has it been? One of my friends got the free camera a while ago and locked in for 2 yrs, but cancelled it just a few months after and somehow they forgot about it and didn't ask for the camera or any money in return for it.

Ajay
08-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Well it really depends if she actually did sign a contract.

Before Telus had a tactic of signing up people over the phone for services they weren't aware of. Not saying that's the case in this situation but the first step would be to find out if she actually signed anything of if she was duped into this by a simple conversation on the phone.

If she signed anything then she's on the hook for the cancellation charges.

Legless_Marine2
08-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Ajay
Well it really depends if she actually did sign a contract.

Before Telus had a tactic of signing up people over the phone for services they weren't aware of. Not saying that's the case in this situation but the first step would be to find out if she actually signed anything of if she was duped into this by a simple conversation on the phone.

If she signed anything then she's on the hook for the cancellation charges.

According to her, she never actually signed anything. To her knowlege, she called Telus on an unrelated matter, and during the call, they offered her a free laptop, which was delivered a few days later.

She's pretty sure she never actually signed anything. That being said, she *IS* elderly, and it is possible.

The Cosworth
08-07-2008, 10:51 PM
you dont actually sign anything. However I think her signing for the laptop is her way of agreeing with it (verbal agreement on the phone, acceptance of the laptop in person)

I could be wrong but that is how I understand it

Grogador
08-07-2008, 11:07 PM
Telus is infamous for conning people into contracts over the phone... deceptive tactics, "price protection plans" and so forth... so like, how can they prove you agreed to anything without a signature?

Legless_Marine2
08-07-2008, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Grogador
Telus is infamous for conning people into contracts over the phone... deceptive tactics, "price protection plans" and so forth... so like, how can they prove you agreed to anything without a signature?

I expect that opening the laptop is seen as a defacto acceptance of license.

rmk
08-07-2008, 11:56 PM
Telus SUCKS. Their employees are cockbags.

Legless_Marine2
08-08-2008, 07:12 AM
I actually got more of the story: Mother in Law called Telus asking how to decrease her Long Distance expenses.

The Telus rep tells her that she can save on her LD by sending email over the Internet using a Telus-provided Laptop - A rather inappropriate solution for a senior citizen who hardly speaks english, and doesn't know a computer from a DVD player.

What a bunch of cheap pricks. Makes me glad I moved my internet from Telus to Shaw.

gran turismo
08-08-2008, 08:25 AM
I'm sure Telus records the telephone conversations as well. They can go back review it and if you've agreed verbally, I think you've essentially entered into the contract. I agree that Telus has some dubious marketing ploys and I'd say, even worse customer service.

drtoohotty1
08-08-2008, 08:28 AM
couldnt you just down grade vista to XP and problem solved?? :dunno:

topmade
08-08-2008, 08:41 AM
Well, lets approach this differently and ditch the idea of returning the laptop because it's going to end up with someone loosing money and that doesn't include Telus. If the Internet service is fine, just sell the laptop and buy something else. If it's fairly new you should be able to get some decent cash for it.

On a side note, I have an In-law that has the same habbit. She doesn't understand a word of english, but will sit there and say yeah yeah and nod her head when someone is talking to her. She's changed gas companies and long distance plans without having a clue of what's going on. I've told her numerous times to just close the door or hang up the phone if she doesn't understand what's going on but she say's that's rude :banghead: :banghead:

codetrap
08-08-2008, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by drtoohotty1
couldnt you just down grade vista to XP and problem solved?? :dunno:

x2.

There's no reason that you have to leave the laptop on Vista. The laptop belongs to your Grandma now, and she's paying for it via her internet account. "Upgrade" it to XP and she'll be fine.

Legless_Marine2
08-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by codetrap

x2.

There's no reason that you have to leave the laptop on Vista. The laptop belongs to your Grandma now, and she's paying for it via her internet account. "Upgrade" it to XP and she'll be fine.

x3 here - That's a great idea, and not off the table. My only concern is that if I install XP, I "become" tech support.... and I *hate* doing tech support.

Thanks for the great ideas everyone.

BRod
08-13-2008, 08:40 AM
Vista sucks and Telus sucks :banghead: