PDA

View Full Version : Brett Favre, why the lack of intrest?

spikerS
08-08-2008, 01:55 AM
Well, Brett came back outta retirement, and was activated by the league and back onto the active roster with the packers after quite a bit of drama.

Now, news is that Brett, arguable one of the best quarterbacks to play in the NFL, and who has spent his career with the packers, got traded to the Jets for basically nothing.....

Packers traded a 3 time MVP to the Jets, for what? A draft round pick that is directly proportional to Brett's performance in the season.

WHAT THE FUCK?!?!

Packers turf the guy that never gave up on them, that always gave his best no matter the odds, and did so much for the team, and thousands, if not MILLIONS of fans. Talk about the biggest insult I have ever heard of. You are not worth anything now, so lets hope you do ok so we can get someone else next year and loan you to the Jets.

I have always been a Pats fan, and a Green bay fan a close second. Now, I am going to cheer for the Jets just so Favre can thumb his nose at the packers.

GO BRETT!

also surprised no one has posted this yet....

BigDannyCool
08-08-2008, 02:01 AM
He's old. I say he'll play 5 games all season.

ajooo
08-08-2008, 02:12 AM
i think he'll show up this season.
people we're saying he was to old last season too, and look at what happened.

led the packers to one of their best seasons in awhile.

schocker
08-08-2008, 07:43 AM
with all of the talk, i sure didnt think he would end up with the jets. i dont think that he will play in more than 8 or so games, i dont think he will be able to show up as much as last season with the packers, but will still be a good addition to the jets.

the trade with the pick is pretty interesting though with all of the conditions.

bigboom
08-08-2008, 09:18 AM
meh...brett put the packers in a very precarious position. you cant always talk about potentially retiring and then retiring and coming back. the packers need to firm up their pivot so that they can develop them and thats why they have rodgers. brett shouldnt have retired if he wanted to keep playing.

DJ_NAV
08-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Bottom Line:

Packers will have like 3-5 wins this year.
Jets will make the playoffs.

dr_jared88
08-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Who's Brett Favre?

analbumcover
08-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Didn't Brett Favre want out?

So what if he gets traded for a draft pick, hes just happy hes not a cheesehead anymore

Regarding his remaining skill, i dont think he has many games left in him, one wrong hit and he wont be back, will be interesting to see how he gels with his lack of good Wide Receivers, mind you when hes healthy and playing Laveranues Coles could definitely excel

5hift
08-08-2008, 09:49 AM
He wasnt traded for nothing. He was traded for a pick that could turn out to be a first round pick in the draft. Unlike most other sports, draft picks are worth their weight in gold in the NFL. Jason Taylor, one of the greatest d linemen in the league, was traded for if I'm not mistaken a 3rd round pick and he was recently the MVP. Because of the NFL's salary cap, GM's value rookies they can start yet pay the generally lower rookie salaries. Favre's trade value was also at a all time low, because every team knew he had to be moved, and was limiting offers due to knowing the Pack had to get rid of him.

The pack also didnt just force Favre out of green bay. He was admittedly pressured to retire early as the Pack wanted to get their future QB Aaron Rogers some game experience. The pack offered him 20 million to stay retired, and even then welcomed him back. Favre's new attitude after that and being a crying bitch who couldnt move on because his team wouldnt accept his flip flopping attitude is why he got traded.

bulaian
08-08-2008, 10:01 AM
^^ :werd:

and also because the season had been over for 4 months, with 1 month to go before training camp until brett decided to text message the packers GM, telling him he wanted to come back.

Antonito
08-08-2008, 10:11 AM
I figure Favre realises by the second week that his new team is shit and goes back to the gunslinger of the couple years before last, and their record will reflect that, so probably a max of 8 wins. And since it's the AFC, there is not way they're getting into the playoffs

If Rogers has been paying attention the last few years, they can make the playoffs after a bumpy start while he adjusts to the NFL player speed in a real game. If not, then they'll probably also get a max of 8 wins

I figure Favre quits after this season, the New York media is going to pick him apart. I doubt he knows how to handle it when nobody is licking his asshole while praising how nice the spirals were on the interceptions he threw into the hands of the defense.

bashir26
08-08-2008, 10:16 AM
I love Brett Favre, but I think its stupid to want to return after retairing. The packers offered him $20,000,000 to STFU. I love Brett and hope he does good with the Jets. I'm a packers fan.

md14
08-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Brett instantly makes the Jets a better team, and from looking at it now the Jets might just have the best o-line in the league (on paper) with a decent running game.. Brett could have an alright year. Playoffs might be tough with all the competition in the AFC.

What I think is great is that the Packers were all worried about Brett going to the Vikings however with Chad getting cut I really hope he goes to the Vikes and tears it up there, He'd be a perfect game management QB there and it's not that hard handing the ball of to AP

:drama:

5hift
08-08-2008, 11:36 AM
^^

I dont know, I dont think Pennington is a upgrade over T-Jax. They are both game management let the running game and D win the game types, but T-jax can actually run for a first down, and if I'm not mistaken had one of the best TD-int ratios last year.

This is going to be a huge year for Jerrico Cotchery though as Coles will go down with his yearly serious injury.

WhippWhapp
08-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Just two seasons ago he was an interception machine- he has been pretty much his whole career.

Going to a team with a new system, new receivers, late to camp... I see nothing good happening for him. He says he loves the game, well we'll see how much he loves the game playing for the Jets.

md14
08-08-2008, 11:40 AM
True, but I just dont have that faith in T-Jax yet.. I've seen Pennington take an average Jets team into the playoffs and I believe hes got one of the highest completion ratios in his career so the dink and dunk game should thrive.

You still cheering for Gore and the 9ers this year?

5hift
08-08-2008, 11:43 AM
^^

every year bud

Shaun Hill ended the year pretty good, so I'm just waiting for Alex Smith to collaspe and the reins get handed back to him. Now we have solid WR's to help the running game, and maybe they might actually throw to Vernon Davis this year.

max_boost
08-08-2008, 01:35 PM
It's going to be very interesting to see how things unfold this year. I've been listening to Rome rant about it everyday for the last while.

Rodgers better be ready because he's got to be feeling the pressure! A lot to live up to! Succeeding a legend. Team that went 13-3 and NFC Finals appearance! :eek:

As for Favre, he'll be fine, I think :D

sexualbanana
08-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Rodgers is in the last year of his contract. They drafted him in the first round because they needed a replacement for Favre, who, up to that point, had mentioned possibly retiring a few times. Favre has continued to straddle the retiring line every offseason until he finally makes a decision just before training camp starts.

The Packers finally drew the line and say to him 'look, we want to you make a decision sooner rather than later, because we need to plan our team.' If Rodgers didn't play this year, he was more than likely going to tell the Packers to fuck off and sign somewhere else. And the Packers will have ultimately blown a first round pick

warcritic
08-08-2008, 07:09 PM
as much as i love favre

hes on madden 09s cover
hes done for

bashir26
08-09-2008, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by warcritic
as much as i love favre

hes on madden 09s cover
hes done for

:rofl: the madden curse

cam_wmh
08-09-2008, 08:30 PM
It's too bad the Jet's already traded away Peddington, because I think they could have received made a quick return by trading Farve to Minny or Chicago for more than they paid.

sexualbanana
08-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by cam_wmh
It's too bad the Jet's already traded away Peddington, because I think they could have received made a quick return by trading Farve to Minny or Chicago for more than they paid.

Pennington

DelSoln
08-10-2008, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by cam_wmh

He was released and for good reason.

Ajay
08-10-2008, 11:09 PM
I love Brett Favre. I think he's arguably the best QB in NFL history. He's a true team player but that kind of took a blow with the drama he brought in the last couple of weeks.

The Packers dealt him to NY for "nothing" because they want to move in a new direction. They asked him if he was going to retire and he said he was so they got the ball rolling in making their club better. Are they going to change their plans because Brett Favre is acting like a spoiled little kid? The answer is obvious judging by the recent events. I commend the Packers for sticking by Aaron Rodgers.

The Jets went from a 4 win team last year to a 5 or 6 win team this year with Favre. He's not going to pull Superbowls out his ass for them.

I lots a lot of respect for Favre after this.

md14
08-11-2008, 12:26 AM
Double post.

md14
08-11-2008, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Ajay
I think he's arguably the best QB in NFL history. .

No sorry... not even close, Sure he broke the all time touchdown record but he also broke the all time interception record with only 1 ring to his name. Great quarterback but he aint the greatest

WhippWhapp
08-11-2008, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Ajay

I think he's arguably the best QB in NFL history. .

John Elway gets my vote- pretty much willed Denver to 3 superbowls in the 80's with basically no team around him.

Inzane
08-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by dr_jared88
Who's Brett Favre?

:guns:

Antonito
08-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by WhippWhapp

John Elway gets my vote- pretty much willed Denver to 3 superbowls in the 80's with basically no team around him.

I've always thought this as well. He's got the rings with a great team, super bowl appearances with shitty teams, prototypical skills on par with pretty much any QB ever, etc, etc

Someone like Marino had the ability but couldn't win. Someone like Aikman won lots but didn't have the ability.

max_boost
08-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Tom Brady will be the greatest ever!!:thumbsup:

Eleanor
08-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Great athletes like him need to retire and be done with it. I'm sick of greats coming back when they're past their prime and wreck their legacy.

sexualbanana
08-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Tom Brady will be the greatest ever!!:thumbsup:

Fuck. Off.

Baron O' Funk
08-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Think of it this way, a month ago Favre was retired and the Packers had nothing for him, he was simply gone and they were going to go with Rogers anyway.

Now they traded Favre off, still go with Rogers, and have added a first round pick, better than nothing? :dunno:

md14
08-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Tom Brady will be the greatest ever!!

Originally posted by sexualbanana

Fuck. Off.

aha, if Brady can add 1 more ring to that resume he has a serious shot. He won 3 superbowls with a bunch of jags, finally gets a good receiver and puts up record numbers and almost goes undefeated. All this and dont forget he was the 199th overall pick.

sexualbanana
08-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by md14

aha, if Brady can add 1 more ring to that resume he has a serious shot. He won 3 superbowls with a bunch of jags, finally gets a good receiver and puts up record numbers and almost goes undefeated. All this and dont forget he was the 199th overall pick.

His combine footage is fucking hilarious. His body profile was like a tall, lanky guy with love handles. He runs a like a 6-second 40 time. It looked like he was just doing the running man. :rofl:

Spoons
08-12-2008, 07:56 PM
Plain and simple Farve made a circus out of something that should have never been in the first place.

If Farve didn't want to retire, he shouldn't have. Not only that but say he did want to come out, he should have done it much earlier. He came out at the last second, into an area where he was not wanted.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge packers fan, but there is the line. There is a difference now between Farve fans and Packer fans. All those "Packer fans" that say Rodgers sucks and we hate him are not Packer fans, they are farve fans. I am a Packer fan. Farve is my all time favourite player, and why not, he is one of the most legendary players of our time. There is the kicker, he is legendary, and that is how he should of stayed. Now he comes back and quite potentially just becomes some has been.

It really is fine that he is playing now, he got traded to the Jets, Rodgers has a time to shine, but he created a shit storm with the Packers that should just not have happened. Both sides handled it stupidly, but it is done.

I am tired of listening to sports every morning just to listen to this story.

But the Jets will fail, I mean their receivers are not capable of catching his rocket throws... :rolleyes:

sexualbanana
08-12-2008, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Spoons
Don't get me wrong, I am a huge packers fan, but there is the line. There is a difference now between Farve fans and Packer fans. All those "Packer fans" that say Rodgers sucks and we hate him are not Packer fans, they are farve fans.

... Favre.

max_boost
08-12-2008, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by md14

Brady FTW. I hope he throws for 60TD's this year. :thumbsup:

Spoons
08-13-2008, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

... Favre.

Yeah I know...

It doesn't even sound like it should be spelled that way lol.