PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Rust

EuroDubbs
08-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Hi there I was looking to repaint my beater truck for a summer project but the thing is I need to fix the rust first! There is a rust hole over my back wheel well that goes right through I was wondering how much it would be to take it in and get it professionally fixed? I also got some rust at the bottom of my doors! If someone could give me an approx amount it would cost that would be great! thanks!

Kloubek
08-08-2008, 11:40 AM
If it's an old beater, it is not worth getting it professionally fixed. The only true "fix" is to cut out the rusted metal and weld in new metal. Even that isn't going to last all THAT long, since it is likely the rest of the metal on that panel is well on it's way to being corroded as well.

Many body shops will not handle rust because they cannot guarantee their repairs. It's hard to keep it from coming back; they call it "cancer" for a reason. But it doesn't exactly go into remission.

If you are handy to any degree, or know someone who is, I would suggest doing it yourself.

Simplified step form:
Grind off ALL visible rust. Once you start attacking it, you will probably notice the rust is worse than you first thought. If you leave any rust, it will come through.

Use rust remover (converter) and get it in all the remaining nooks and crannies. (sp)

If the hole is fairly small, you can put a backing behind the hole, and then bondo over top. If it's larger, you may want to consider sticking on a piece of fiberglass to cover the hole. Then bondo over top to make it smooth.

Prime, then paint. Most repairs can be done in a couple evenings of work.

EuroDubbs
08-08-2008, 12:17 PM
This is what i got to fix! So just cutt out all the rust then probably get fiberglass or get a person good with metal to make a piece and weld it in there?

http://www3.telus.net/public/allen1/Picture%20002.jpg

and...

http://www3.telus.net/public/allen1/Picture%20001.jpg

EuroDubbs
08-09-2008, 06:05 AM
anyone willing to take on the job? willing to pay

pm me!

EuroDubbs
08-17-2008, 05:05 PM
bump