PDA

View Full Version : The mighty echo enters the Deerfoot 500.

alloroc
09-05-2003, 08:31 PM
Funny thing happened a few months ago ...

Background for those who don't live in Calgary.

Deefoot trail 100KPH 6 lanes right through Calgary.

Most of the intersections are those piss poor designed diamond intersections. (meaning if you are turning onto deerfoot from one of these roads you must stop at a light - Muphy's law they are never green - and then accelerate down a ramp then merge)

My supercharged 89 corolla is fast, My wife's 2000 4 speed auto. Echo is not.

In Calgary if you come up to a car stopped in the left lane at one of those intersections on deerfoot it is your duty to go to the right lane and beat that car down the ramp, cut it off and merge in front. If you are the left car is is your DUTY ( HAH ) to not allow the other car to execute the move.
(At least it seems this is the way people drive here.)

My wife was driving I was passenger this fine day. We were in the left lane ... stopped ....turning from memorial W to deerfoot S.

A riced up older model dodge dynasty pulls up beside us in the right lane. This car is ugly it was white with deep canadian tire tint in all the windows and had stickers on it (ya as if vinyl = power), and had what sounded like a home made catback. The driver showing his intelligence was driving wearing a fleece jacket with his hood up cutting off any peripheral vision his puny head may have had. What happened next is ugly, young children shouldn't listen heh.

My wife turns to me, knowing our car is slow, and says "Should I give him a run for his money?"

I say "Hell ya go for it."

The light turns green my wife floors it the dodge gets a jump on us but low and behold from about 30 km/h on we start reeling him in (quite quickly BTW) from his back bumper to right side by side at 80 KM/H to us being a car length ahead by 100 KPH.

I was shocked! We had actually beaten the thing. The end of the ramp was looming close my wife being the intelligent level headed person she is backs off and holds 100 km/h. Me, I would have kept going and made him pull in behind.

This day I'm glad she was driving. I would have missed the grand finale.

He cuts us off, no surprise. Suddenly we are driving in a fog and our windscreen is getting wet with ... well ... antifreeze.

I laugh "Hey look you made him blow his engine!"

The fog slowly clears and the White Dodge shadow with tinted windows white plastic hubcaps and a razo stickers in the back window speeds away with wisps of white still coming out in spurts from underneath.

He had no idea his head gasket had let go.

About 3k down the road, we pass him again as he is pulled over on the side of the road just before the Calf Robe bridge and he gives 'us' the finger like it is our fault he raced us and blew his engine.

wontonjohnny
09-05-2003, 08:39 PM
whoa.. for some reason i think ive read this story before

illeagle
09-05-2003, 10:23 PM
funny, but it happens

sandman
09-06-2003, 01:01 AM
poor guy, haha oh well, uv advanced the anme of the echo beyond anyones expectations, even it was against a shadw lol

alloroc
09-06-2003, 02:01 AM
Hi Johnny.

I'm slow just found this forum other week.

FallenAngel
09-06-2003, 08:00 AM
...wash your car... antifreeze does nasty stuff to your paint...

oh, and you married a good woman.

[ FallenAngel ]

KoukiS14
09-06-2003, 08:30 AM
Thats a great story and so true of Calgary driving.

Khyron
09-06-2003, 06:26 PM
In Calgary if you come up to a car stopped in the left lane at one of those intersections on deerfoot it is your duty to go to the right lane and beat that car down the ramp, cut it off and merge in front. If you are the left car is is your DUTY ( HAH ) to not allow the other car to execute the move.

I swear to god this is so true. But if you want a worse one, go up Bow Trail to the new intersection/extension. Strathcona on the left, Coach hill on the right. I swear to god it's a city sanctioned short drag strip. The right lane ends about 500 feet up the road, and so if you pull into said right lane at the lights, the left guy will almost always gun it to block you. Mini-van, camper, cement truck - hell they all punch it.

Khyron

James
09-07-2003, 06:24 AM
ha, thats a wicked story, i come home that way every day from work, so i know exactly what you mean!.theres always idiots in the left lane( i call it the "chump lane") that try to speedup to cut you off!. I call it the chump lane because they stay in the far left lane which is backed up like 400 metres from the intersection, where as i go all the way to the front driving in the middle lane
and go around the median to the right( never had a problem getting in, and i never cut anyone off doing this)..then proceed to get ahead on about 100 cars........:rofl:....suckers

DUBBED
09-07-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Khyron

I swear to god this is so true. But if you want a worse one, go up Bow Trail to the new intersection/extension. Strathcona on the left, Coach hill on the right. I swear to god it's a city sanctioned short drag strip. The right lane ends about 500 feet up the road, and so if you pull into said right lane at the lights, the left guy will almost always gun it to block you. Mini-van, camper, cement truck - hell they all punch it.

Khyron

nevermind the fact that there is an onramp right where that right lane cuts out... so basically if its timed properly three cars can all come into that one lane all at once...