PDA

View Full Version : Rogers, early HUPs for everyone + new iPhone Plan

lewdvig
08-08-2008, 03:42 PM
I called to cancel a line yesterday.

Got a 8 GB for $199 and a retention plan: 100 day, unltd incoming, unltd evenings/weekends, CID, VM, some crazy number of texts etc. $25/month.

I'll probably add a data plan.

http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1413369

And this is a pretty hot plan:

http://howardforums.com/showpost.php?p=11490110&postcount=7

mystikalflip
08-08-2008, 03:48 PM
How did you go about doing this? Were you on a contract? and how long?

98type_r
08-08-2008, 03:51 PM
wow, thats quite a deal... i'm going to have to try my luck and see if i can get that

lewdvig
08-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Yeah, they sell out of the iPhones pretty quick. If you ask nicely a CSR can usually find you one.

Mine even said, get the phone and sell it to pay your ECF. LOL.

I've had a couple of first gens and loved them, but I could not resist people offering me more money than I paid to sell them. Maybe now that everyone and their dog will have one I won't be tempted to sell. :D

ZEDGE
08-08-2008, 04:24 PM
There is an upgrade button on thier website too when your logged in.

Says I am not due until Aug 11th.

Where were you in your contract?

lewdvig
08-09-2008, 02:04 PM
On this account I was a Tier one, about 8 months in.

I pretty much had a 3g on launch day, but the HUP in-store was a many hour process that first weekend so I gave up and I told my sales guy to give the phone to a new activation. Mine was the last of 12 he sold. I waited a whole day and he was still ony at 6 of 12 when I gave up waiting.

I would have cost me $350 so waiting a few weeks paid off.

Shogged
08-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Pretty sweet that rogers is letting people who aren't eligible for an upgrade get the iphone now. So basically guys, if you were pissed because you couldn't get one, get one now before the 6gb data plan wears out!

i've got tonnsss of 16s in stock!

BrknFngrs
08-09-2008, 05:57 PM
^^ where do you work? I'm looking for one.

Joe-G
08-09-2008, 11:10 PM
I thought they wouldnt sell iphones without a data plan? If you only have voice thats such a good deal.

88CRX
08-09-2008, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by lewdvig
I called to cancel a line yesterday.

Got a 8 GB for $199

I argued with two different retention people last week on the $249 price and they would not budge one bit.

AND on top of that I haven't upgraded my phone in 3 full years!

ZEDGE
08-10-2008, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Joe-G
I thought they wouldnt sell iphones without a data plan? If you only have voice thats such a good deal.

No data plan is required.

lewdvig
08-10-2008, 12:16 AM
I skipped the data plan.

When I see the monthly credit they promised, I'll add a data plan. Basically that are taking my existing plan and giving me a $15 credit each month.

Hopefully I'll be able to get the new voice, data, cid and vvm plan for $45 ($60 - 15 credit). Very cool.

Shogged
08-10-2008, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by ZEDGE

No data plan is required.

this is correct, however most stores and salesmen won't sell it to you without it. I won't, personal choice.

Since you can't turn off data on the iphone, all it takes is one accidently touch of safari, or even just a curious look at google maps, and you're bill is in the hundreds of dollars. No way I could knowingly let someone walk out of my store with that ticking time bomb

eb0i
08-10-2008, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Shogged

this is correct, however most stores and salesmen won't sell it to you without it. I won't, personal choice.

Since you can't turn off data on the iphone, all it takes is one accidently touch of safari, or even just a curious look at google maps, and you're bill is in the hundreds of dollars. No way I could knowingly let someone walk out of my store with that ticking time bomb

You can't turn it off for the 3G? You can turn it off for the 1st Gen.

djayz
08-10-2008, 11:08 AM
what time do your unlimited evenings/weekends start?

lewdvig
08-10-2008, 07:19 PM
8 PM I think. You might negotiate a better plan based on what your needs are.

Its really the unltd incoming that I use.

Make your service provider work for your business. I called Express Vu to cancel and now I have a full HDTV package with PVR rental for $51/month. :D

ZEDGE
08-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by eb0i

You can't turn it off for the 3G? You can turn it off for the 1st Gen.

Yes you can apparently..

From RFD forum:

For those planning on getting the iPhone without a 3G DATA PLAN:

*** Save me that blah blah iPhone is worthless without DATA, some people like the phone just for the iPod capabilities etc ***

Rogers will TRY to SCARE YOU into taking the $30 3G plan. They will say the following:

"iPhone is a DATA hog, and even with all your DATA turned off, there is a chance that the iPhone will USE data AUTOMATICALLY and you will end up with a $1000 bill"

They will make you sign a waiver that says if you get charged for DATA they are not responsible or liable for the charges. They will then give you more 'SCARY' examples of how iPhone is 'unpredictable' and that you may get charged $1000's in a month without you knowing!!

This is NOT true, Rogers makes their money of the $30 DATA plan they try and sell to you, if you don't want the DATA plan, stay firm and you can get it without having to sign up for DATA.

How you can PROTECT yourself from using any DATA:

1) DO NOT use the MobileMe service as MobileMe will PUSH data into your iPhone and MAY cause unwanted data charges

2) DISABLE 3G ... go to SETTINGS -> NETWORK -> 3G OFF

3) DISABLE DATA ROAMING ... go to SETTINGS -> NETWORK -> DATA ROAMING OFF

4) DISABLE EDGE DATA ... this is not an option on the iPhone, You will have to call ROGERS customer service (*611 on the phone) and have them put a BLOCK on EDGE DATA so you do not use it accidently

5) VISUAL VOICEMAIL will NOT work without DATA, so regular voicemail is what you will need if you are a vm user

6) MAIL - make sure your mail is not set to FETCH email every xx minutes, set fetch to MANUAL. SETTINGS -> MAIL -> ACCOUNT -> ADVANCED

7) MOST IMPORTANT - For the first month, MONITOR YOUR ACCOUNT, call every couple DAYS and ensure there are NO DATA CHARGES on your account. After a month, make the calls less frequent and check WEEKLY that there are no DATA charges. Once a couple months have passed and you see there are NO DATA charges, you can give yourself a pat on the back for beating the ROGERS system!

That SHOULD do it! Follow the instructions carefully and you should have NO pay per use data charges on your account and you will NOT have a $1000 phone bill like rogers says you will.

Again.. PLEASE save me the 'IPHONE IS USELESS' without DATA speech.

This is simply for the people, like me, who are in for the iPhone for its looks, iPod capabilities, and have a wifi network often in range.

Afrodeziak
08-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Feedback on my situation.

Currently a Rogers customer of about 5 years.

Have been getting a corporate rate which then had some retention work, basically paying $20 month for 250 min weekday, free 6pm early evenings, free eve/week, free rogers to rogers. Then I pay the $20/mnth for the essentials package, tonnes of text and pic messages, voicemail, unlimited edge data.

My question is if I get an iphone, choose to go the route of not having a 3g data plan (as mentioned above), can I still use the data plan I use right now for sending and receiving text and photo messages ?

Basically I've spent enough time to build some stature and gain some incentives over time with my plans. If I switch to a new plan on an Iphone I really don't want to lose some of these bonuses which I've been given.

I could see myself paying my usual minutes with the same incentives plus data and basically only paying about $10 more a month that I used to. If I went ahead and renewed my 3 yr and got an iphone I really want to be re-assured that I will still be given that compensation from my initial plan.

Any input from rogers cs'ers ?

88CRX
08-13-2008, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Afrodeziak
Feedback on my situation.

Currently a Rogers customer of about 5 years.

Have been getting a corporate rate which then had some retention work, basically paying $20 month for 250 min weekday, free 6pm early evenings, free eve/week, free rogers to rogers. Then I pay the $20/mnth for the essentials package, tonnes of text and pic messages, voicemail, unlimited edge data.

My question is if I get an iphone, choose to go the route of not having a 3g data plan (as mentioned above), can I still use the data plan I use right now for sending and receiving text and photo messages ?

Basically I've spent enough time to build some stature and gain some incentives over time with my plans. If I switch to a new plan on an Iphone I really don't want to lose some of these bonuses which I've been given.

I could see myself paying my usual minutes with the same incentives plus data and basically only paying about $10 more a month that I used to. If I went ahead and renewed my 3 yr and got an iphone I really want to be re-assured that I will still be given that compensation from my initial plan.

Any input from rogers cs'ers ?

Call the retention department and negotiate your voice/essential package and discounts as explained on redflags. Do not mention the iphone at all. They'll know your current plan, so they'll try to offer you something better if at all possible.

Once you have your retention voice and 'essential' plan hammered out tell them you'd also like to add the $30 6gb data plan and purchase an iphone.

You can't get the $30 6gb data plan for any cheaper so don't even bother trying.

I negotiated with them the following last week:

Voice plan is $25:
- 250 minutes
- unlimited evenings and weekends at 6pm
- 100 canada long distance minutes
- unlimited rogers to rogers
- caller ID ($5 credit for this)

+ $15 iphone 'essentials' package which includes
- visual voicemail
- call display
- who called
- 2500 text messages

+ $30 6GB data plan
+ $6.95 fee
+ $0.50 911 fee

- $5.00 credit for having caller id paid for twice.

= $72.45 + tax per month

lewdvig
08-13-2008, 04:33 PM
I managed to get a $15 credit, so your mileage may vary.

Voice plan is $30:
- 150 minutes
- unlimited evenings and weekends at 9pm
- unlimited incoming

+ $11 'essentials' package which includes
- normal voicemail
- call display
- who called
- 2500 text messages

+ $30 6GB data plan
+ $6.95 fee
+ $0.50 911 fee

- $15.00 credit for having caller id paid for twice.

$67.37 after tax.

Basically everything is the same as before I called, expect I got an iPhone for $199 and 6 GB data for $15 more than I was paying before. :D

There is a VVM and CID bundle for $10 I will probably take in place of my essential bundle.