PDA

View Full Version : Slow at work

DJ_NAV
08-08-2008, 05:07 PM
I'm sure you all have slow times at work. Right now I haven't been doing anything for about 3 weeks. I have been asking around for work and randomly get like 30 min work here n there. But still 90% of my time is just "nothing"... meaning internet, coffee, bathroom, talking to coworkers. What do you suggest I do??? Its bad for the company and me.

btw.. this is a office job in downtown at an accounting firm.. Jr. position.

gen2teggy
08-08-2008, 05:08 PM
do what i do, look at beyond all day

Grogador
08-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Office hotties are bored too :poosie:

drtoohotty1
08-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Beyond all day long FTW :clap:

a social dsease
08-08-2008, 05:36 PM
well beyond is the best, but you can always go nuts on wikipedia, or read a book or newspaper or something. Do some crossword puzzles or play freecell. Just go for a drive or something, nobody will say anything.

reiRei
08-08-2008, 05:41 PM
I'm on beyond right now, work doesn't pick up until about 10 PM..

The Cosworth
08-08-2008, 05:51 PM
I was surfing the internet at my last job because of the same situation. I guess I was supposed to find something to do cause I got fired.

Just beware that

jhmed
08-08-2008, 05:53 PM
You could do what I do... additional training!

Sometimes it sucks, but if they see 90% of your downtime being directed towards additional training in your chosen field and 10% on Beyond or Wikipedia, then your Jr. position will improve more quickly than the other Jr's who are seducing the poodle during their downtime.

88jbody
08-08-2008, 06:05 PM
bang the office hotties between new posts on beyond

beyond101
08-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by reiRei
I'm on beyond right now, work doesn't pick up until about 10 PM..

pm'd :rofl:

DJ_NAV
08-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Well, not too many hotties here... some OK ones. There are few other jr's who also have limited work but they find work from somewhere??? I dunno where from? I go up to different people everyday notifying them that I have free time etc etc.

gqmw
08-08-2008, 07:05 PM
^steal some of their work? :dunno:

DJ_NAV
08-08-2008, 07:39 PM
I've tried... but they hog it cuse they know that their is limited work available. All the jrs are kinda competing for whatever.

to the one mentioned additional training? what do you mean by that?

eblend
08-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by DJ_NAV

whats so hard to understand? go study something related to your job and then u will be more knowledgable and move forward much quicker.

reiRei
08-08-2008, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by beyond101

pm'd :rofl:

lol, it would be funny.. except that I work at a newspaper, and deadline is 11 PM

jay42w8
08-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Talk to your sup about it, it will make you look GOOD!...I'm guessing though since you're in Accounting, you will be crying at month end and kicking yourself.

Amysicle
08-08-2008, 11:27 PM
I've tried... but they hog it cuse they know that their is limited work available. All the jrs are kinda competing for whatever.

to the one mentioned additional training? what do you mean by that? It's obvious they want to keep their job more than you do. Look for and create make shift work. Look at what can be improved and take it upon yourself to do it. Do you really need someone micromanaging you all the time instead of taking the initiative and finding work for yourself? Maybe you're more cut out for McDick's where they can find work for you to do and they have your work day scripted out for you.

What kind of education do you have in accounting? Are you doing data entry or some other mindless job that doesn't require any intelligence? Look for courses that could possibly make you more useful to the company. But at this point, I'm not really sure why they should invest money into you if you can't even explain why they should keep you around. :dunno:

Edit: At first I thought what I said was too mean, but it really fits what I think perfectly. Why should your company have to plan out your day like an overprotective soccer mom? Unless you're working at some minimum wage job that needs people to work positions that can be replaced by machines, you should be able to work without supervision which includes finding ways BY YOURSELF to make yourself valuable to the company.

jhmed
08-08-2008, 11:50 PM

What I do is if there is a slow-down at work and I'm tempted to slack off, I get edumacated instead.

I noticed that at my job sometimes I'm busy as fawk and barely have time to take a leak. Others, not so much. I was always paranoid about getting busted surfing the web or whatever.

Then one day I researched computer-based training options for my career field and discovered a few on torrents sites for 'free'. I downloaded a shitload of video courses and books from a bunch different torrent sites and when there's a slowdown, I read 'em.

I don't have to be paranoid about being caught; I actually welcome it. When my boss asks what I'm doing I say I'm doing additional training, and he asks about what and we end up shooting the shit about what I'm reading/watching.

It's a win-win... He knows I'm not slacking, since its always job related, it shows initiative and he's even asked me to burn a couple of the books onto a CD for him. And even if this job doesn't work out, I still have the knowledge which will make me more valuable an employee to any potential employers. More valuable = more $$$. I like money.

Not saying this idea will work for you and your particular circumstances, but it's worth a shot if you can do it...

GQBalla
08-09-2008, 10:12 AM
talk to your manager?

just be like hey, assign me some shit!

88jbody
08-09-2008, 12:29 PM
research about how to make bombs and stuff then when they check the internet use records they'll have something for you to do for the next 5-10 years

Canmorite
08-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Learn something. Everything you need is at your fingertips.

Mckenzie
08-09-2008, 07:13 PM
As a former summer junior at an accounting firm, all I can say is enjoy all the down time now while you can because when you come back as a full-time, they will get their pound of flesh out of you. ;)

Seriously, just make sure you ask a manager or senior each day if they need help. If not, just always have a file on your desk to look busy and enjoy the day surfing the interwebz.

DJ_NAV
08-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Mckenzie
As a former summer junior at an accounting firm, all I can say is enjoy all the down time now while you can because when you come back as a full-time, they will get their pound of flesh out of you. ;)

Seriously, just make sure you ask a manager or senior each day if they need help. If not, just always have a file on your desk to look busy and enjoy the day surfing the interwebz.

That is what everyone tells me and I am doing that. I have work assigned to me for the busy season... from dec-apr i'm busy up the ass, but until then it's dead.

Diesel2005
08-12-2008, 09:13 AM
I'm having the same problem at work too. Very slow. Although I am only a summer student so not expecting too much work. 9 more days till I'm done here and back to school.

I need help to make time go by faster!!!

arian_ma
08-12-2008, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Diesel2005
I'm having the same problem at work too. Very slow. Although I am only a summer student so not expecting too much work. 9 more days till I'm done here and back to school.

I need help to make time go by faster!!!
Wiki the JFK assassination. Read up on the FLQ crisis. Search up Robert McNamara. Click random links on those pages. That should keep you busy for 2 hours if you actually read everything on those pages.

n1zm0
08-12-2008, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma

Wiki the JFK assassination. Read up on the FLQ crisis. Search up Robert McNamara. Click random links on those pages. That should keep you busy for 2 hours if you actually read everything on those pages.

or joox.net/ (http://joox.net/) documentaries or http://www.ninjavideo.net/docus for all you visual learners :thumbsup:

edit:
how could i forget another good time waster is crime library (http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/) , i probably wasted a good half the day reading stories like the Sylvia Likens torturing murder, Ed Gein and the skin costume, Rostov Ripper etc etc

arian_ma
08-12-2008, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0

or joox.net/ (http://joox.net/) documentaries or http://www.ninjavideo.net/docus for all you visual learners :thumbsup:

edit:
how could i forget another good time waster is crime library (http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/) , i probably wasted a good half the day reading stories like the Sylvia Likens torturing murder, Ed Gein and the skin costume, Rostov Ripper etc etc
Wow thanks for the links man!!!

schocker
08-12-2008, 10:14 AM
i still cant beat minesweeper on expert, but today i was searching wikipedia for extinct animals. also http://www.fark.com always has interesting news stories.
those crime stories are pretty interesting though.