PDA

View Full Version : Insurance help please!

TacoMexicano
08-08-2008, 08:25 PM
So while on the beyond summer cruise, I became aware of a few different things;
-This forum has a great community
-My car is underpowered
-Its also far too loud with the throttle hammered.

So I invested in a new engine to swap into it.

Does anyone know of or have any experience with dealing with insurance problems coming as a result of an engine swap?

Any help would be fantastic! :)

Cheers!

Taco

ralliart_girl
08-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Alot of insurance companies will not provide full coverage for vehicles that have upgraded HP. However, if you only have third party insurance coverage (liability only) on your vehicle, then I won't worry too much about it.

rmk
08-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Don't tell them?

That.Guy.S30
08-10-2008, 02:03 AM
depends on the insurnace company. meloche monnex would have covered a JDM STi swap into my wagon, as long as it was not for 'performance'. they just wanted a safety done.

you can always get an appraisal done and inform ur insurnace company.

A790
08-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by rmk
Don't tell them?
He could be denied coverage or have his policy canceled if he got into a serious accident.

The Cosworth
08-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by rmk
Don't tell them?

I asked Masked Bandit this very question. If he crashed and they found out he swapped the motor and didnt tell them there is a good chance his policy would become void.

Originally posted by TacoMexicano
So while on the beyond summer cruise, I became aware of a few different things;
-This forum has a great community
-My car is underpowered
-Its also far too loud with the throttle hammered.

So I invested in a new engine to swap into it.

Does anyone know of or have any experience with dealing with insurance problems coming as a result of an engine swap?

Any help would be fantastic! :)

Cheers!

Taco

I think it depends on the insurance company you are with, but the one I got the answer for was as follows.

There are two groups that a modification falls into: A and B.

A are things like altered exhaust, altered ride hight up to 1.5 inches, intake, bigger brakes, etc.

B are major things like Engine swaps, tranny swaps, lifts or lowers over 1.5 inches, etc.

Now if you have 2 or more things in class A then your insurance goes to the highest limit for your category (or whatever they are called) and if you have 1 thing in Class B the same thing applies (which would in your case because you have an engine swap)

Now this means your insurance will be very expensive, so an option would be to not tell them right?.... Not really. If you don't tell them and you need to make a claim for ANY REASON and they find out that what you have on your car was not representative of what is on your policy, the entire thing can become void.

Now lets say your car is stolen... no coverage
Someone hits you and runs off... no coverage
You hit someone and they successfully sue you for $1,000,000.00 .... no coverage.

I dont work in insurance so this may not be 100% accurate but I know it is close to reality