PDA

View Full Version : Buying a zx

ClearBluewater
08-10-2008, 09:14 AM
I finaly sold my car so im thinking of getting a 300zx, however i never had a RHD import car. What major things should i know before i get into this?

Tik-Tok
08-10-2008, 10:37 AM
You will be ridiculed on beyond for being a RHDriver for one. :D

sr20s14zenki
08-10-2008, 10:48 AM
One thing you should know, the only thing different about that car versus ours, is that the steering wheel is on the right side....thats it. I laugh at how many people are told that their jdm engine needs a "special" japanese timing belt, ie: 3sgte from an mr2. Cant pass on opposing lane hiways, turning left is a bitch apparently, and you will turn on your wipers alot for the first week or so (=

AE92_TreunoSC
08-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by ClearBluewater
I finaly sold my car so im thinking of getting a 300zx, however i never had a RHD import car. What major things should i know before i get into this?

Only buy one that has been registered in alberta, if it is fresh off the boat and not registered it will need a out of province inspection.

They are notoriously unreliable and expensive to maintain. Make damn sure you do your research before you buy one.

Also, out of all the JDM cars imported over, they have the WORST resale value. Guys will spend years selling them to break even.

silviak91
08-10-2008, 01:22 PM
There is not much difference then a lhd people that have them know they are fun to drive and a lot are in very nice shape .

drewb
08-10-2008, 06:58 PM
you know they made them in lhd config as well right?

trikypenguin
08-10-2008, 07:07 PM
i have one for sale!

funkedelic
08-10-2008, 07:52 PM
safe yourself the hassle, poor resale and annoyance while driving and just find yourself a canadian spec one.

tentacles
08-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Uh, you know he's not buying a NEW one, right? So poor resale would be a GOOD thing.

xLostx
08-10-2008, 11:37 PM
there's zero room under the hood, working on them is a huge pain in the ass. sexy cars, I owned a JDM Z myself but it was just a hassle and costly to get the car repaired

funkedelic
08-11-2008, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by tentacles
Uh, you know he's not buying a NEW one, right? So poor resale would be a GOOD thing.

:rolleyes: yeah i assumed that since 300zx was discountinued how many years ago? I brought up the point of the poor resale in the case he wants to sell it a couple years down the road. The car will lose a lot more value compared to a lhd model which hold keep more value in the years to come. Not to mention the fact that how many of these Japanese cars that have made their way here are beat up and ratty. I have seen maybe 1 or 2 really clean example in this specific model that happened to be jdm cars

tentacles
08-11-2008, 07:09 AM
A RHD 300ZX is basically worth less than $5000 right now. Anything that can pass inspection is worth at least $1000 so I'd say future resale value isn't something to worry about.

R!zz0
08-11-2008, 12:16 PM
You're better off going with This (http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-Toyota-1993-Toyota-SUPRA-Mark-IV-Twin-Turbo-6-SPEED-W0QQAdIdZ66722365) if you're willing to go til BC and have it inspected here. I don't know anything about RHD cars, so i don't know if this is a good deal or not.

hellraiser456
08-11-2008, 12:36 PM
That's effing cheap^^^

that is like a quarter of the price for one here or the states....and that is being generous

EDIT: from looking around, there is a good possibility that it is a scam.

puya.ro
08-11-2008, 02:41 PM
http://home.cfl.rr.com/fairladyz/faq.html

beyond_ban
08-11-2008, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0
You're better off going with This (http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-Toyota-1993-Toyota-SUPRA-Mark-IV-Twin-Turbo-6-SPEED-W0QQAdIdZ66722365) if you're willing to go til BC and have it inspected here. I don't know anything about RHD cars, so i don't know if this is a good deal or not.

I am pretty sure that supra is a scam....

As far as buying a RHD goes.... well to put it short and sweet i wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole....

Trini
08-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0

got to be a scam,that is way too low even for a RHD supra.

Ukyo8
08-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by xLostx
there's zero room under the hood, working on them is a huge pain in the ass.

:werd:

g-m
08-14-2008, 03:55 PM
ya its a pain in the ass but rewarding imo
I have the oil pressure sending unit problem but it works most of the time so fuckit.
And Z32s are also notorious for brake judder NOT caused by warped rotors (I have that too!)

And various leaks that will get fixed when I remove various large drivetrain/engine components.

HoTTNiXX
08-14-2008, 04:40 PM
I don't get why RHD gets such a bad rap here.
Ok, most are owned and driven by 16year old kids. But hell, the market is great for RHD.
And no, that Supra is not underpriced or a scam. That's how much they cost from Japan. Most 6spd TT examples are $13,000-$20,000 depending on condition and mods.

If you really are unsure about a RHD car. I can meet up with you and show you around them. If you've never been in one, take you for a spin.

Just don't be an idiot with it and perpetuate the RHD stereotypes in this city.

Also, out of all the JDM cars imported over, they have the WORST resale value. Guys will spend years selling them to break even.

That is strangely due to the fact that there is no real 300ZX community in Canada. In a market saturated with a plethora of RHD cars all kids run to the 16yo wetdream - Skyline.

Spoons
08-14-2008, 09:32 PM
Why don't you just skip the douche-baggary process and go straight to the BMW.

What is not wrong with RHD. I was going to buy one then I found out how big of shit boxes there are so I changed that pretty fast.

HoTTNiXX
08-15-2008, 08:33 AM
How exactly are they crap?
I understand that half of the cars that come over are crap, and half of the people buying them are idiots.
If you do your homework and find a good car, there is nothing wrong with it...

Please tell me your personal experience that makes you hate RHD with such a passion.

Comming from me, I bought RHD first before they were so popular and am a bit bitter about the amount comming through, yet have had my car for 3 years and nothing but good things to say about it?

Just to say to OP that if you take your time and realize what you're buying, you will not have the problems that most JDM owners do. Just idiots on a website ridiculing you because your car is backwards. Not only that, but people that don't even understand or like the FairladyZ line of cars.

n1zm0
08-15-2008, 09:01 AM
OP, research the car you are buying first, what to look for in that specific model and year that might have been a reoccuring problem over the years, might save you the hassle.

IMHO, working on a VG30DETT in a Z32 is not the most fun for somethings, almost comparable to a 3sgte in a trunk..

also, it WAS cool when i swapped an SR20 into my 240 3 years ago, now everyone and their mother's daughters best friends son's dog has a 180sx, all i have going now is 'Built not bought' :( which i'll never regret, helps to know extra details about your engine for those shitty times.

edit:

Originally posted by Spoons
Why don't you just skip the douche-baggary process and go straight to the BMW.

Beeecaaause.. Z32's are the douche-baggary cars of the Nissan world :D

Toms-SC
08-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Seriously you should buy 2 of them. They are so original.

g-m
08-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by HoTTNiXX
I don't get why RHD gets such a bad rap here.
Ok, most are owned and driven by 16year old kids. But hell, the market is great for RHD.
And no, that Supra is not underpriced or a scam. That's how much they cost from Japan. Most 6spd TT examples are $13,000-$20,000 depending on condition and mods.

If you really are unsure about a RHD car. I can meet up with you and show you around them. If you've never been in one, take you for a spin.

Just don't be an idiot with it and perpetuate the RHD stereotypes in this city.

That is strangely due to the fact that there is no real 300ZX community in Canada. In a market saturated with a plethora of RHD cars all kids run to the 16yo wetdream - Skyline.
Zs are way hotter

HoTTNiXX
08-15-2008, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by g-m

Zs are way hotter

Word up.
OP, as you can see there are people on this board helping you out.
If you really want a JDM 300ZX just do your research. The 1994s are comming out soon so you should start looking at prices and whats changed in model years. Like said before the VG30DETT engine is not the most pretty one to work on, but it's such a powerplant that if you take care of it who cares?

Just remember you're buying a car with 30+ years of history behind it.

2M6
08-15-2008, 08:51 PM
I miss my Z.....:)

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c359/RobZ90TT/Z%20pics/KPZ1-1.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c359/RobZ90TT/Z%20pics/Zremains005.jpg

I will definately have another Z32 TT someday but it has to be a 1990, best year by far. and it has to be Super White with Charcoal interior.

The car is a bitch to work on but I never got discouraged by the fact. It was such a joy to drive, it made all the wrenching worth it to me. IMO it wasn't unreliable at all. I never had a failure that is isolated to Z cars and the failures it did have were quickly sorted.

Rob

HoTTNiXX
08-15-2008, 11:25 PM
I was looking at pictures of your car earlier.
It's funny that you're from the states and don't car about RHD. Most people on 300zxc don't either. Just seems to be Calgarians...
The last picture is very fitting. heh. I kinda like it.

badatusrnames
08-16-2008, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by 2M6
I miss my Z.....:)

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c359/RobZ90TT/Z%20pics/Zremains005.jpg

:cry: :cry:

Sad pic...

YamahaV8
08-16-2008, 08:15 AM
Be prepared for terrible maintenance on those cars. I talked to a nissan tech once about them when I was thinking of getting one and he said that it is by far the worst vehicle to work on and if you get your work done at a shop be prepared for huge labour bills.

rps13_sx
08-16-2008, 11:50 AM
edit:

rps13_sx
08-16-2008, 05:07 PM
if you are going to buy one get it from from jdmsources n the oop inspection will be done before selling

bituerbo
08-17-2008, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by HoTTNiXX
I understand that half of the cars that come over are crap, and half of the people buying them are idiots.

So by your statement, that makes you either an idiot, or the owner of a shitbox. Unless of course we are operating under the rule of two halves don't make a whole?

HoTTNiXX
08-17-2008, 02:54 AM
Ok, I guess by your same linear logic that percentages dealing with completely different things can't overlap?
I bet you're also the same person that gets angry at toothpaste commercials that say 4 out of 5 dentists recommend crest and 4 out of 5 dentists recommend colgate?
Does that mean that 8 out of 5 dentists recommend using those toothpastes? Doesn't make sense does it?

ZyaL8R
08-17-2008, 07:05 PM
I love mine when it works...

easily the most unreliable car I've owned so far, though I'll attribute a lot of the problems to age. (Blown shock is my next repair)