PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy an iMAC in Hongkong? I need some advice!

JordanAndrew
08-10-2008, 11:36 AM
ok so I am currently in hong kong and found some decent deals on iMAC computers.

I'm only looking for the basic 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 250 GB hard drive and a 1 GB memory . The only upgrades that I'm looking for is a 4 GB memory upgrade, a wireless mouse and iWORK.

I priced out the apple website and with all the current upgrades that I mentioned, the total comes to $1,698.00 CND. I'm not too sure if that's after tax or not but I'm gonna assume that I will have pay 5% gst on top of that.

Now here in HongKong, Fortress, a store similar to what futureshop would be in Calgary are having iMAC promos.

The price of an iMAC that I want is $9400 HKD by itself. However you can add a wireless mouse and iWork for $198 HKD. I can also upgrade the memory to 4GB for $680 HKD. The total comes to $10,278 HKD or roughly $$1407.94 CND.

The difference of almost $300 savings is the real seller here, but I haven't shopped around in Calgary for deals like this.

The question now is, does anybody know if this is actually a good deal or can I find a similar deal there in Calgary?

CivicDXR
08-10-2008, 11:45 AM
I don't think its really worth it since you'll probably be paying for import taxes that'll probably equal or be more than the $300 savings you'll end up with. Other than that, I'm now sure how the support/warranty is for something that was bought overseas. Personally, for something like that, I'd buy at one of the shops here locally just for saving the hassle on warranty issues. Check with Westworld Computers or MyMacDealer here in Calgary, as they are both authorized service/repair facilities for Apple. Westworld has been awesome with my warranty issues since I bought my MacBook there...

bulaian
08-10-2008, 11:53 AM
I don't think it's worth it IMO because you'd have to go through customs and probably pay duty on it. There's also a chance of damage to it when it's shipped.

I'm not sure how Apple warranty works but there's a chance you may run into issues if something goes wrong with the system in the future.

JordanAndrew
08-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Don't I have to just send it to apple if there's any warranty issues?

As for customs, I can just partially use it here in Hong Kong, put some pictures, songs, etc and say I carried it around with me the whole trip, kinda like how a laptop would be if I brought it with me. I can put it in my suitcase with the box that comes with it so it shouldn't be a problem with it getting damaged.

I dunno, do you guys think I can get away with that? It's not too far fetched of an idea, but that's why I'm going to you guys for some advice.

JordanAndrew
08-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by CivicDXR
I don't think its really worth it since you'll probably be paying for import taxes that'll probably equal or be more than the $300 savings you'll end up with. Other than that, I'm now sure how the support/warranty is for something that was bought overseas. Personally, for something like that, I'd buy at one of the shops here locally just for saving the hassle on warranty issues. Check with Westworld Computers or MyMacDealer here in Calgary, as they are both authorized service/repair facilities for Apple. Westworld has been awesome with my warranty issues since I bought my MacBook there...

thanks for your help.
Has anyone been to westworld computers or mymacdealer recently that has seen any deals such as the one in hongkong?

I always thought North America has the best deals and prices for MAC products since thats where it originates from, but now I'm not too sure.

D'z Nutz
08-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew
Don't I have to just send it to apple if there's any warranty issues?

As for customs, I can just partially use it here in Hong Kong, put some pictures, songs, etc and say I carried it around with me the whole trip, kinda like how a laptop would be if I brought it with me. I can put it in my suitcase with the box that comes with it so it shouldn't be a problem with it getting damaged.

I dunno, do you guys think I can get away with that? It's not too far fetched of an idea, but that's why I'm going to you guys for some advice.

You never know when they'll search your bags. And if they find it and suspect anything, you could be flagged and it'd make traveling in the future difficult for you. Not only that, like others have said, there could be problems getting Apple to honour the warranty so be sure to read up on what their policy is for international purchases. So no, I don't think it'd be worth it just to save a few bucks.

If you know any students, get them to purchase it through Apple with the education discount for you. You'll save a couple hundred that way.

JordanAndrew
08-10-2008, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

You never know when they'll search your bags. And if they find it and suspect anything, you could be flagged and it'd make traveling in the future difficult for you. Not only that, like others have said, there could be problems getting Apple to honour the warranty so be sure to read up on what their policy is for international purchases. So no, I don't think it'd be worth it just to save a few bucks.

If you know any students, get them to purchase it through Apple with the education discount for you. You'll save a couple hundred that way.

hmm ok, I'll consider that for sure.

Also, does anybody know if it's fairly easy to just buy extra memory yourself and install the extra memory for iMAC? I remember back in the day of desktops you can just slip on more memory, but the iMAC seems to be harder to just open it. I don't want to void the warranty either. :dunno:

eblend
08-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew

hmm ok, I'll consider that for sure.

Also, does anybody know if it's fairly easy to just buy extra memory yourself and install the extra memory for iMAC? I remember back in the day of desktops you can just slip on more memory, but the iMAC seems to be harder to just open it. I don't want to void the warranty either. :dunno:

super easy. latest imacs have a slot on the bottom, just unscrew few screws and ram is right there, slip it in and ur set

E36M3
08-10-2008, 03:05 PM
You can buy a refurb online (and even combine it with an education discount) and easily save $300+ without the hassle and full warranty. The Apple refurbs have to pass the same quality tests that any new product does, so you won't be able to tell it isn't new, except that it will be less expensive.

Originally posted by eblend

super easy. latest imacs have a slot on the bottom, just unscrew few screws and ram is right there, slip it in and ur set

dragonone
08-10-2008, 05:16 PM
u can combine refurb's with an educational discount?
i thought it was either or

E36M3
08-10-2008, 05:21 PM
You might be right.. might have to pick one or the other, as I recall it has changed from time to time.

Originally posted by dragonone
u can combine refurb's with an educational discount?
i thought it was either or

lewdvig
08-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Have you checked Service Canada for duty rates? There may or may not be any - go straight to the source.

I buy/sell like a motherfucker and none of the stuff I have imported lately has had anything more than GST slapped on it.

You might only be on the hook for 5% GST - just like here.

I would buy the PC sans upgrades. RAM is cheap and easy to upgrade yourself. The keyboard and mouse can be had cheap open box at FS.

lewdvig
08-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
You might be right.. might have to pick one or the other, as I recall it has changed from time to time.

You log-in with your school credentials and the prices are changed through out the where applicable. I can't remember refurbs ever being part of this - and refurbs just became available in Canada about a year or two ago.

JordanAndrew
08-12-2008, 11:37 AM
thanks for the advice guys, decided to hold back on the iMACs and I'm just buying it there in Calgary instead. Good thing I still have some student friends who can hook me up with deals.

Where is the cheapest local place that I can buy memory at by the way for iMAC?

ZorroAMG
08-12-2008, 11:48 AM
memory express?

online?

Don't buy apple memory and even at mymacdealer etc ram is expensive