PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a car for the parents

Hakkola
08-11-2008, 11:39 AM
My parents are trying to get out of their lease on a 2007 Honda civic, long story and not really all that important.

Anyhow, they were going to switch to a Honda Accord, but the montly payments were over $600 a month so I suggested an IS250 with auto and maybe leather.

They looked at the car and seem to like it, but were thinking of going with more options etc, which would bring the price up to over $40 000.

Then yesterday they started talking about getting a used car so that they wouldn't have to deal with all the depreciation.

My dad is out of the country 11 months of the year, so this car would be driven mostly by my mom.

She really likes Bentley's and Aston's. Rare cars like that which won't be confused with other cars on the road. She doesn't really like most MB or BMW's because they look too much like so many Japanese cars, or so she says.

So I've been looking at Aston Martin's online, and actually found a couple 2002-2003 for 45-60 000 in the states.

Any body know anything about these older models and pricing? Are they reliable?

Any suggestions for other cars to look at? I don't think they want to spend more than 60g on a car, they're not really into cars at all and would only spend that much if it was for something special. The car they buy should be reliable with good build quality. They don't mind importing from the US.

I really don't know what to look for. :banghead:

DannyO
08-11-2008, 11:52 AM
I knew some people in England that had AM's, older cars than 02-03, like mid 90s, they loved them, build quality was great, but reliability was something to be desired.

max_boost
08-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Jaguar? Audi?

ZorroAMG
08-11-2008, 11:54 AM
I wouldn't own an off warranty AM, personally....not going to be cheap to fix.....they WERE made by ford at that point, remember?

:D

962 kid
08-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
I wouldn't own an off warranty AM, personally....not going to be cheap to fix.....they WERE made by ford at that point, remember?

:werd: stay away from the AMV8 as well, they got stuck with a Ford modular engine :thumbsdow

;)

bituerbo
08-11-2008, 12:05 PM
For real... you can't do a supercar on a budget. What you save in the short run you'll pay for in the long run. Sounds like they have good taste at least.
:thumbsup:

How about a Jaguar XJ ?

Eleanor
08-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Uhhhh, they thought an Accord was too pricey, but now they're looking at AMs & Bentleys? :nut:

Hakkola
08-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Uhhhh, they thought an Accord was too pricey, but now they're looking at AMs & Bentleys? :nut:

They didn't think the accord was too pricey, read what I wrote again. They were going to move on to an Accord, then I suggested an IS250 because the lease payment were lower and it is a nicer car, IMO.

Then they decided they wouldn't mind spending more if they could find the right car. They're not looking specifically at Astons or Bentleys, those are just my mom's favourite cars, so I figured I would look into the prices etc. for them.

Originally posted by max_boost
Jaguar? Audi?

My mom really likes the new Jaguar xkr, but again, the price is pretty up there for what you get IMO, and I've heard horror stories about reliability. Not sure if that has changed. Also, when buying a car at that price, I wouldn't suggest that they get something new, too much depreciation.

Like I said, they're not really car enthusiasts, so they're not going to deal with crazy depreciation.

My mom doesn't like Audi interiors for some reason. :banghead:

dannie
08-11-2008, 12:13 PM
I don't want to sound rude, but how old are your parents? Is your mom going to have a difficult time getting in a car opposed to say an SUV? If they are going to keep the vehicle for a while, that might be something to consider.

I agree with a previous poster, I wouldn't want an aston martin with no warranty. I personally wouldn't want to drive the vehicle year round either though.

For a year round vehicle, I agree with you on the Lexus. Would she also think about the Volvo SUV or any of the newer Audis?

She could also get into a Jaguar x-type for around that range. You don't see tons of those around either.

What about the Cadillac CTS?

MikeAg
08-11-2008, 12:14 PM
go with an audi quatro tt

Hakkola
08-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by dannie
I don't want to sound rude, but how old are your parents? Is your mom going to have a difficult time getting in a car opposed to say an SUV? If they are going to keep the vehicle for a while, that might be something to consider.

I agree with a previous poster, I wouldn't want an aston martin with no warranty. I personally wouldn't want to drive the vehicle year round either though.

For a year round vehicle, I agree with you on the Lexus. Would she also think about the Volvo SUV or any of the newer Audis?

She could also get into a Jaguar x-type for around that range. You don't see tons of those around either.

What about the Cadillac CTS?

Parents are in their upper 50's. They hate SUV's though, so that is out of the question.

Year round driving isn't a real big deal, she doesn't drive very much, less than 10 000km/year I think.

We looked at Volvo S80/s60 t5 a few years ago, not sure why they didn't get one. Maybe I'll look into them again.

She hates Cadillac, went to go test drive one a few years ago and it stalled three times. :rofl:

Another one of her favourite cars is the Lexus SC430, maybe I'll have her look at them again.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG

I thought Ford parts were cheap though? :D

dannie
08-11-2008, 12:23 PM
i just sold my sc430, and I would buy another one in a heartbeat. What a great car. If she is wanting a really great convertible under $100,000 I would go for that. But, make sure you get one with the black interior. The light ones look dorky.

Eleanor
08-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
They didn't think the accord was too pricey, read what I wrote again. They were going to move on to an Accord, then I suggested an IS250 because the lease payment were lower and it is a nicer car, IMO.

Then they decided they wouldn't mind spending more if they could find the right car. They're not looking specifically at Astons or Bentleys, those are just my mom's favourite cars, so I figured I would look into the prices etc. for them.

My bad, just kind of skimmed the post.

Now, this suggestion is kind of out of left field, but what about the new Hyundai Genesis sedan?

max_boost
08-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Looks like they are better off just keeping the Civic. Tell them to save their money and give it to you instead :D :thumbsup:

Hakkola
08-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Looks like they are better off just keeping the Civic. Tell them to save their money and give it to you instead :D :thumbsup:

The civic is falling apart and they have been charging my parents more than the agreed upon rates. Why they would even entertain buying an accord from the same dealership is beyond me. :banghead:

The car is a pos and I believe the lease is up next april or so anyway.

JAYMEZ
08-11-2008, 03:02 PM
I gave ya a PM!

max_boost
08-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

The civic is falling apart and they have been charging my parents more than the agreed upon rates. Why they would even entertain buying an accord from the same dealership is beyond me. :banghead:

The car is a pos and I believe the lease is up next april or so anyway. It's an 07...warranty?!

ZorroAMG
08-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid

:werd: stay away from the AMV8 as well, they got stuck with a Ford modular engine :thumbsdow

;)

BASTARD! :D

PS the engine sounds great.....won't be keeping it past warranty though, that's for sure!

Casa
08-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Look at a Lexus SC430. They're very reliable, great car, and holds its value really well. Plus they're definitely reasonably priced and will be a good overall car for Calgary's conditions.