PDA

View Full Version : Iphone 3G: Anyone get rid of their's yet???

beyondmike
08-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Just checking to see what everyone thinks of the new 3G iphone and if anyone has gotten rid of theirs yet. I had one but got rid of it already cause of the battery life on it really sucked. I had push email with MS exchange and the battery would not even last one full day. That was my biggest complaint since I am not always able to plug my phone in and am a heavy email user for work and a lot of time am on the go. It really sucks when I forget to plug the thing in over night and wake up to a dead battery. Apart from that, the phone has some really cool features. Ipod part was great, photos too and the touch screen was nice. Lots of good apps available for it too. I didn't like the keyboard at first, but eventually got use to the touch screen keyboard and was able to type quite fast on it.

Overall, the iphone for me was just okay, and for now I'm just gonna stick to carrying around my phone and an Ipod Touch.

I'm not here to bash the phone, I just wanted to hear other peoples opinions on it.

E36M3
08-11-2008, 04:03 PM
I think I am probably going to be in the same boat as you are.. I really like the iPhone, but the 3Gs battery life is a major concern. I'm probably going to stick with another phone and use the iPod touch to surf the web while at WiFi hotspots if I need it.

Originally posted by beyondmike
Just checking to see what everyone thinks of the new 3G iphone and if anyone has gotten rid of theirs yet. I had one but got rid of it already cause of the battery life on it really sucked. I had push email with MS exchange and the battery would not even last one full day. That was my biggest complaint since I am not always able to plug my phone in and am a heavy email user for work and a lot of time am on the go. It really sucks when I forget to plug the thing in over night and wake up to a dead battery. Apart from that, the phone has some really cool features. Ipod part was great, photos too and the touch screen was nice. Lots of good apps available for it too. I didn't like the keyboard at first, but eventually got use to the touch screen keyboard and was able to type quite fast on it.

Overall, the iphone for me was just okay, and for now I'm just gonna stick to carrying around my phone and an Ipod Touch.

I'm not here to bash the phone, I just wanted to hear other peoples opinions on it.

rage2
08-11-2008, 04:11 PM
I've had no problems with battery life, and I'm a heavy user.

On the heavy use days, my phone comes off my alarm dock/charger every morning at 6am, and from there I'm browsing beyond in the shitter :rofl:. I average about 50 calls throughout the day, and use it to handle about 60% of my emails. I browse weather, play games on it, read beyond, and another 20-40 txt messages. In the car, I use the headphone jack to plug into my deck in the GTI (no charging). When I get home I use it as an ipod for a 2-3 hour bike ride. It doesn't get back on the charger until about midnight or 1am and by then it's still got 30-50% charge. I use IMAP for emails, so it's always on for emails and always pulling emails throughout the day regardless if it's on wifi or 3G. I would say the phone uses 3G 30% of the time, 70% time I'm in one of my own wifi areas (home or office). I have yet to hear a low battery alert, don't even know what it's supposed to sound like.

The guys I've talked to that's complained about battery life are guys that are used to GSM phones that only needs to be charged once every 4 or 5 days. I was on Telus for the last 13 or so years, so I'm used to charging my phone nightly.

I'm still not used to using such a big piece of metal and plastic as a phone, but it's a lot better than carrying around 2 pieces of metal and plastic. I've been using my ipod touch for the last 6 months... worked well but got tired of hunting for free wi-fi.

Diesel2005
08-12-2008, 11:53 AM
kinda not related but can the itouch check email?

rage2
08-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Yes. The itouch is basically the same as the iphone, but without the phone part.

analbumcover
08-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by rage2

On the heavy use days, my phone comes off my alarm dock/charger every morning at 6am, and from there I'm browsing beyond in the shitter :rofl:. I average about 50 calls throughout the day, and use it to handle about 60% of my emails. I browse weather, play games on it, read beyond, and another 20-40 txt messages. In the car, I use the headphone jack to plug into my deck in the GTI (no charging). When I get home I use it as an ipod for a 2-3 hour bike ride. It doesn't get back on the charger until about midnight or 1am and by then it's still got 30-50% charge. I use IMAP for emails, so it's always on for emails and always pulling emails throughout the day regardless if it's on wifi or 3G. I would say the phone uses 3G 30% of the time, 70% time I'm in one of my own wifi areas (home or office). I have yet to hear a low battery alert, don't even know what it's supposed to sound like.

The guys I've talked to that's complained about battery life are guys that are used to GSM phones that only needs to be charged once every 4 or 5 days. I was on Telus for the last 13 or so years, so I'm used to charging my phone nightly.

I'm still not used to using such a big piece of metal and plastic as a phone, but it's a lot better than carrying around 2 pieces of metal and plastic. I've been using my ipod touch for the last 6 months... worked well but got tired of hunting for free wi-fi.

holy fuck thats nuts, i was on an app called Palmiro to use msn, for about an hour, and it used half my fully charged battery. Perhaps its MY phone itself that shits the bed when it comes to battery life

lint
08-12-2008, 01:42 PM

That's quite different than the battery life I'm experiencing. I usually get a 20% battery warning early in the evening and need to charge it after 15 hrs or so. Are there any battery health apps?

benyl
08-12-2008, 01:44 PM
rage2 must have the hi-po battery in his... lol

Thaco
08-12-2008, 01:46 PM
i love mine, couldn't imagine life without it, i plug it in every night, need to sync my podcasts anyways, so it's not really an inconvenience... i am overall very happy and have had my expectations met or exceeded by this device in every aspect.

colinxx235
08-12-2008, 01:47 PM
yah rage2 is gettin soem crazy battery life... i've recieved the 20% warning twice, first day i got it, and one other day that was super boring, only time I can hit the 20% mark before bed is if I youtube like a fiend... i don't use mine for e-mail or nothing yet, i probably send 100ish txts a day but in a typical day I plug it in at 11-12pm at around 45-55% batt life and just charge it for the next day where it gets taken out at 630am

rage2
08-12-2008, 01:50 PM
oh ya, I have bluetooth always on too lol.

Seriously, I was just talking to kenny about that at lunch today, how much my iphone gets used and never getting low batt. Right now 1:48pm I've lost 1 bar in the battery meter. It's been playing music a lot more today too since I was driving around a lot this morning.

The only difference I can think of is I have my autolock set to 1 minute, and my screen shuts off I think after 10 seconds of inactivity (I dont think that's changable?). My screen is mostly off, and I think that's the biggest power drainer.

lint
08-12-2008, 02:09 PM
What version are you running? 2.0?

rage2
08-12-2008, 02:14 PM
2.0.1 and I never had battery issues with 2.0.0 either.

Thaco
08-12-2008, 02:15 PM
yeh, i have bluetooth enabled, 3g (and am in 3g range probably 60% of my day, wifi the rest...

usually watch a hour to hour and a half video podcast, play games like crazy, i rarely use the ipod function... i surf, i have 4 email accounts that fetch every 15 minutes... if i'm not playing games or surfing, my wife usually is, and i never have a problem with the battery lasting a full day.

rage2
08-12-2008, 02:20 PM
That reminds me, I'm on youtube ALL the frickin' time on my phone too. I do find it annoying that sometimes youtube vids fail on 3G for some reason.

xkon
08-12-2008, 02:22 PM
I got one the day it was release but traded it for a 5g ipod, than put an 80gb in it.. love it! the iphone was nice but not as intuitive to me as my trusty blackberries have been. Ive been using blackberries for years, and using one is second nature to me. Just couldnt adapt to no keyboard... (I imagine that i would have gotten used to it, but things like MSN and BB Messenger are of great need to me as well)

Waiting for my bold now :)

colinxx235
08-12-2008, 02:22 PM
That reminds me, I'm on youtube ALL the frickin' time on my phone too. I do find it annoying that sometimes youtube vids fail on 3G for some reason.

ah k, i'm glad i'm not the only one with that problem then... I had one day where it wouldn't work for a full hour, I was so pissed off at my desk... I really need to jailbreak my phone and get more stuff on it, so busy with 2 jobs I don't have time =(

I still can't believe what battery life you are gettin... magic iphone for roo

lint
08-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235
I still can't believe what battery life you are gettin... magic iphone for roo

For fuck's sakes, even the iPhone kisses rage's ass.

beyondmike
08-12-2008, 03:08 PM
Maybe it was just my push email accounts and activesync to MSE(which was made to be a huge deal in Apple's eyes). Mixed reviews on the battery life.

x2 on the BB Bold....my next purchase...

Super_Geo
08-12-2008, 03:28 PM
Are you guys getting battery issues cause you have the screen brightness on too high?

I have a first gen iPhone, and if I leave the brightness on max it will definitely die before the afternoon's out. Otherwise, if it's almost at the lowest setting, I can go two days without having to recharge... but then again, all I really use it for is phone/music.

kenny
08-12-2008, 03:52 PM
For those of you with shitty battery life, carry a spare battery so you can pop it in when it dies during the day... oh wait, you can't!

iPwned.

But all joking aside, everyones battery life is going to be quite different. Using wifi instead of 3G saves tons of battery life if you're downloading lots of stuff. Screen brightness I'm sure makes a huge difference as well. Someone should put together a guide to prolong the battery life. A device like this should last at least a full day.

Thaco
08-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by kenny
For those of you with shitty battery life, carry a spare battery so you can pop it in when it dies during the day... oh wait, you can't!

iPwned.

But all joking aside, everyones battery life is going to be quite different. Using wifi instead of 3G saves tons of battery life if you're downloading lots of stuff. Screen brightness I'm sure makes a huge difference as well. Someone should put together a guide to prolong the battery life. A device like this should last at least a full day.

The guide thing has been done and overdone, but every guide I've seen says essentially the same thing, disabled 3g, don't use stuff you don't need, use less of what you do need... what's the point of the device then?

i honestly don't have a problem with the battery life, but i have a charger at home, at work, and in my car, so i really don't care about battery life.

benyl
08-12-2008, 03:56 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=2547311#post2547311

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

kenny
08-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
what's the point of the device then?

To be trendy, just like every other Apple product.

lint
08-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by kenny

iPwned.

next closest thing
http://us.kensington.com/html/15462.html

Redlyne_mr2
08-12-2008, 04:36 PM
I have a guy at working who has been turning me away from these.. maybe just because he doesnt know what he is doing but.. for some reason we cannot discover any bluetooth devices. I tried to send songs from my mac to his iphone with no luck. Is this a problem or is it user error?

rage2
08-12-2008, 04:37 PM
I have my screen brightness on Auto. Never had a problem seeing with it.

I don't have a charger in my GTI yet, I have one in the M3 but I really only drive that on weekends.

I use IMAP for emails if that makes any difference.

rage2
08-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
I have a guy at working who has been turning me away from these.. maybe just because he doesnt know what he is doing but.. for some reason we cannot discover any bluetooth devices. I tried to send songs from my mac to his iphone with no luck. Is this a problem or is it user error?
iPhone only supports mono headsets/handsfree bluetooth devices. You can't send contacts, audio, pictures... nothing. It's one of the big issues with the phone.

Also, you can't use MMS, no txt messages with pictures. Not a big deal for me but a huge deal to some. I can, however, email pictures. That's the extent of sharing media files.

Redlyne_mr2
08-12-2008, 05:04 PM

iPhone only supports mono headsets/handsfree bluetooth devices. You can't send contacts, audio, pictures... nothing. It's one of the big issues with the phone.

Also, you can't use MMS, no txt messages with pictures. Not a big deal for me but a huge deal to some. I can, however, email pictures. That's the extent of sharing media files.
yah thats the stupidest thing I've heard all week.. why would they put limitations on that??

rage2
08-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by lint
haha ok so my iPhone stopped kissing my ass and by 3pm it was DEAD after the weekend on a daily basis. After a bit of investigation, turns out an app I downloaded when I was drunk (some beer glass simulation game) keeps running in background and just owns the battery life. Nuked the program, battery life is back. Serves me right for downloading stupid shit while intoxicated.

So if you're having battery life issues, check all those little apps you've downloaded :).

rage2
08-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
yah thats the stupidest thing I've heard all week.. why would they put limitations on that??
The bluetooth limitations from what I've heard is to stop people from potentially sharing mp3's with each other over BT once it's jailbroken.

MMS, I'm not sure exactly, but for the 1st gen iPhones it was requested by AT&T to have no MMS. When the 3G was coming out there were rumors that AT&T now wanted MMS in there. Still no MMS yet.

gpomp
08-21-2008, 11:58 PM
i used swirly mms on my old iphone but there's no app like that yet for the 3g.

in terms of battery life, the 3g's battery seems exactly the same as the old one.

the keyboard lag is pissing me off though. :guns:

avishal26
08-22-2008, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by lint

:rofl: :rofl:

rage2
11-04-2008, 05:17 PM
OK, so I've been in the US for the past few days. The AT&T network has horrible reception where I am, and my battery life has been taking a severe beating. My phone's dead by 3pm. I had to switch off 3G and use edge to get her to last till 6pm.

So I guess battery life is directly related to signal strength. So annoying. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Rogers has a great 3G network in Calgary lol. Well, at least where I usually am anyways.

benyl
11-04-2008, 05:20 PM
Turn off yer wifi and blutoot as well.

Blutoot is a battery hog.

rage2
11-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Already did. Wifi doesn't drain much battery... WEAK wifi destroys your battery. I'm at a convention center, so it's pretty weak in some of the conference rooms.

Casa
11-04-2008, 05:53 PM
i have a 3G and my battery lasts me until 11 at night before i get low battery warnings, and i have a pretty weak signal where i live. i charge it every night, its a little bit of a pain. but it has so many features so i guess i don't mind that much

eb0i
11-04-2008, 06:03 PM

So I guess battery life is directly related to signal strength.

:werd:

I went out for a 10 day field class in Kananaskis during the summer. There was no reception but I kept my phone on (without setting it to airplane mode) and the phone would be dead by 10PM every night after a full charge in the morning. Having it constantly search for a signal sucked it dry so fast.

As for my 3G it is okay on battery in the city. I really am thinking of switching to a black berry though.

funkedelic2
11-04-2008, 06:20 PM
I love my Iphone, i didn't get too excited about it at first but after using it for a while i started to like it more and more everyday. The apps is the best part. The cool thing about the Iphone is that everyones phone will be different, you can customize it and organize it to your uses/taste ect.

I dont like that you can't send pictures and that you can't record video on it, but with everything else it CAN do that other phones can't.. makes up for it.

Best phone ever

EDIT: My battery life sucks too, it never lasts a full day

black13
11-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Coming from a k800i, it was a big difference as i didn't charge that phone for at least 2 days and that had music.
My iphone 2G lasts about a day an half with 75% screen brightness, no edge/blutooth.
Playing music always kills mine though but thats why I have a charger in my car.

sneek
11-04-2008, 06:24 PM
I wish I had a good battery life story...some days its good some days it is bad. If I am doing lots of stuff it would last till 2PM, and my days start at about 8am. I do have a ton of apps though...including a beer game. Is it that game where you slide a pint into someones hands?

EDIT: is it called iPint?

SCHIDER23
11-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Sneek the beer application is called "IBEER", there is also IMILK and Imunchies. Anyway about the battery life, I can reach about 2 days if I do moderate use, it has better battery life than the sony k850i, that one only lasted a day or so. :(

signature7
11-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Got rid of mine yesterday night. I couldn't make the transition from Blackberry to iPhone, maybe it's because I was using two phones at the same time and didn't feel the urgency one would normally have in cell phone transitions.

bball2
11-06-2008, 10:45 AM
I picked one of these up from eBay a couple weeks ago from my iPhone 3G:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=360097498902

Works great, I usually only charge my iPhone through the charger once, sometimes twice a week. The rest of the time I just plug that in for an hour or so when the battery is getting low.

GQBalla
11-06-2008, 10:52 AM
that thing is hideous....

you keep that plugged into your iPhone all the time?

omg...

reminds me of my Parents FIRST cell phone AKA THE BRICK >.> thing was about 12 inches long

bball2
11-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Haha na, maybe 10-15 minutes a day when I'm doing schoolwork or working on the computer.