PDA

View Full Version : Can you register/insure a vehicle without a license?

Thaco
08-11-2008, 02:26 PM
My buddy needs ot get his license, problem is he actually wants to learn how to drive first (unlike a lot of new drivers out there) but he doesn't have any family/friends that are willing to let him drive their car (or that he wants to drive, he's afraid of driving a newer vehicle and possible hurting it)

He wants to know if he can register/insure a car with his learners and then just have someone licensed ride with him.

he doesn't mind taking a driving course, he just wants to make sure he learns from it, doesn't want some place where he cant understand them or they're just looking for a paycheque...

beyond_ban
08-11-2008, 02:28 PM
no

:closed:

hrdkore
08-11-2008, 02:33 PM
That is not allowed sorry, to be able to get insurance u need license, and to register a vehicle you need insurance. If you're his buddy why not let him drive your car??? lol hopefully its not 5 spd.. and just auto.

dannie
08-11-2008, 02:34 PM
He can register the car. You do not have to have an Alberta licence to register. However, it may be difficult to find an insurance office that will insure only a learners licenced driver

Oh, and Chinook Driving School has a great rep for courses.

beyond_ban
08-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by dannie
He can register the car. You do not have to have an Alberta licence to register. However, it may be difficult to find an insurance office that will insure only a learners licenced driver

Sorry but no you cannot register a car in Alberta without proof of insurance for said car. Insurance companies will not insure you as a class 7, so the answer is NO he cannot register and insure his car before being fully licensed.

5G_celica
08-11-2008, 02:35 PM

you need insurance to register

Grogador
08-11-2008, 02:38 PM
insure under dad, put him on as occasional driver... flip it once he gets his license.

dannie
08-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Wow.... what I said was you do not have to have a licence to register a car. Geez.... that being said, an insurance company may not insure a learner. Man guys.... pay attention :)

The user that has posted the question isn't a newb. He MUST know you need insurance to register.

Common sense fellas

beyond_ban
08-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Wow.... what I said was you do not have to have a licence to register a car. Geez.... that being said, an insurance company may not insure a learner. Man guys.... pay attention :)

The user that has posted the question isn't a newb. He MUST know you need insurance to register.

Common sense fellas

Common sense also tells me that no insurance company that doesn't smoke crack will NOT insure you with a class 7. never heard of it happen, and i doubt i ever will....

bituerbo
08-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Uhm... My insurance agent (State Farm) has never had my drivers license. Once a year or so I'll get a call from the flighty receptionist realizing they don't have it. I have them on my caller-ID so I just let it go to voicemail. This way I'll always have a clean record according to them.

dannie
08-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Jason @Godfrey-Morrow Insurance: 244-4945 is willing to insure your buddy with just a class 7 licence. There is a portion of the insurance act that states as long as you have some form of a licence, they legally cannot deny you insurance. Give him a call.

toastgremlin
08-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Some of the driving instruction courses will let you borrow their car for the test -- I know the AMA one does.

That might be worthwhile at least temporarily; it'll be some money for the course but I think it lowers insurance if you pass.

It's not the best in terms of practice, but it's better than nothing.

Thaco
08-11-2008, 05:15 PM
i was 95% sure i knew the answer, just wanted confirmation and suggestions for a work around or driving school.

03ozwhip
08-11-2008, 05:23 PM
you CAN definitely insure and register on a learners. my buddy did it for his car only a few months ago. beyond_ban way to get pissy over a question that you were wrong in answering. youre gay, leave. your username is appropriate...08's....

dannie
08-11-2008, 06:53 PM
^ :D

revelations
08-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Holy confusion about said topic batman!

88jbody
08-11-2008, 07:03 PM
My sisters BF has a car registered and insured and he only has his permit, same with my sister only has her permit. his insurance is a bit high though.

one option would be to buy a car and put it under his parents insurance with him as a driver for it would be cheaper insurance that way and not risk one of the family cars of getting any dings or scratches

88jbody
08-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by 88jbody
My sisters BF has a car registered and insured and he only has his permit, and my sister only has her permit. They live on their own as well so it is all under just his name. his insurance is a bit high though.

one option would be to buy a car and put it under his parents insurance with him as a driver for it would be cheaper insurance that way and not risk one of the family cars of getting any dings or scratches

rc2002
08-12-2008, 08:54 AM
The extra cost of insurance isn't worth it. Just sign up for a driving school and you get to learn with their car. The driving experience they give should be more than enough to pass the test. And that way the driving school takes all the risk.

DomesticBoy
08-13-2008, 07:13 PM
yes
but not under his name
if he talks to his parents and gets it insured under their name and he pays them the insurance fees so he can learn how to drive then its alright, but he has to be with one of the guardians,
but if your asking if he can do it with somebody else that doesnt own the car and the vehicle is not insured to them then the answer is a simple no.