PDA

View Full Version : Help with spyware...

Mitsu3000gt
08-11-2008, 06:09 PM
Normally I am pretty good at this sort of thing but I have something on my computer that I can't figure out. No matter what I do, when I search something using Firefox and a search engine, I get the proper list of results but no matter what I click on, it just takes me to a different shopping website. I have ran full virus scans and multiple spyware programs (superantispyware, spybot S&D, ad-aware, etc.) and nothing comes up. Also whenever I post a message or check the status of a package online or something to that effect, after I type a message, enter a tracking number, etc. etc. and hit "OK" the next screen is always blank and it says "done" in the status bar at the bottom.

EDIT: I should also add that whatever I have doesn't let me visit any website that has to do with antivirus software - every other website works fine as long as I type the address in the address bar.

This is so annoying I am about to re-format but I really don't want to if I don't have to so I would appreciate any suggestions on top of what I've already done.

Thanks.

revelations
08-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Remove and reinstall FF.

em2ab
08-11-2008, 07:32 PM
Use Adaware (adaware.com) to try and remove it or at the least get the name of it. From there you can search Google (oh wait....) to see how others removed it. Otherwise turn off System Restore, reboot into Safe Mode, run virus check, reboot.

Mitsu3000gt
08-11-2008, 09:03 PM
Ok I fixed it - turns out it was screwing with my AVG antivirus as well, tricking it into thinking it was updating when it wasn't. All of a sudden I get a message that says it hasn't been updating for 8 days. I really don't think that was a significant part of the problem though. I uninstalled AVG and switched to AVAST, and then ran a virus scan during the boot process before windows started (AVG never prompted me to do this), and it found a trojan generator (explaining why even when I "remove" it, it comes back) and it found a dns something or other, which is why all my websites were getting screwed up.

Adaware, spybot S&D, AVG antivirus and superantispyware all failed to locate anything even when using the deepest full scanning methods.

Anyways thanks to those who replied, I'm just glad to have solved the issue without having to re-format.