PDA

View Full Version : Buying used lenses off ebay?

joyridder
08-11-2008, 08:29 PM
Was lookin at a couple lenses on ebay, used. No refunds etc. What has been your experiences. What are some things to look out for?

KKY
08-11-2008, 11:19 PM
I've bought one lens off ebay so far. The description/pictures weren't that clear and I forgot to ask for clarifications. I didn't think much of it until I won. I got a bit worried but was too late, so I paid and hoped for the best. The lens took less than a week to arrive in like new condition. :D

I guess I was lucky that time.

I've also bought a couple old cameras off ebay. each had their own small problems. But they were cheap so I didn't bother sending them back for refund.

My advice is to ask as much questions as you can. be very specific with your questions. Dust, scratch, fungus, focusing, zooming rings smoothness, any AF issues etc. Read the seller's ratings.

And be patient. especially with items that are more common. Try to wait for one that gives you very clear descriptions, good refund policy and from a seller with high rating.

Good luck!

Mitsu3000gt
08-12-2008, 08:52 AM
Only buy from people with plenty of excellent feedback (obviously), read a lot of the feedback, ask specific questions, ask for more/better pictures if they aren't provided in the first place, and ask for pictures taken with the lens and use an exif program to verify. I've had nothing but good luck on e-bay buying camera stuff simply by doing the above. I picked up my 1.4TC and my PN-11 extension tube both from individuals off ebay. Each came with all original packaging, worked perfectly, and were completely indistinguishable from new.

The only time I ever got screwed from eBay was when I ordered a case for my iPod for $2.99 from a big store and it never showed up lol. I think I'll just order it again and see what happens.

flipstah
08-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Majority of my lenses came from eBay.

So far my experience has been stellar. I got good deals on mine and considering mine is a Konica SLR, I got top-quality lens for bargain prices (Can someone say $4 70-220mm Tamron Telephoto?)

C4S
08-27-2008, 10:22 PM
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO ...

Well .. I guess .. it is like flip a coin .. depends your luck .. so far, I have bad luck on Ebay for photography gear .. :(

I would perfer to buy new now, as pricing is quite aggressive lately, with only 5-10% more then US/Asia price ..

flipstah
08-27-2008, 10:42 PM
If you can't buy it at a store, it's good to get it at eBay. But if you can and you only save a little, buy it at the store.

You only spend a little more but in return you get a return policy that won't cost you an arm and a leg for shipping, warranty (extended warranty if you wish) and a personal look of what the lens will produce. Also, it's a guarantee that it's new, fungus free and ready to go.

If you do decide to eBay it:

- Pay attention to feedback. >98% feedback is quite stellar, especially if they have sold a lot of product.

- Read the item description carefully. Sometimes, they'll say stuff like, "I have no experience with lenses blah blah blah" and it'll be sold as "As Is." Be careful with those as the lenses you'll receive may have problems that will exceed your savings if repaired.

- Check photo listings. See if you can see imperfections such as scratches, dents on filter thread, fungus

- Ask questions. I'm pretty sure they want your money so they'll do their best to get your attention. If their photo enthusiasts, they can answer any questions you may have from fungus, to oil in the blades etc.

Cheers! And hope this helps. :thumbsup: