PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Audi A6. Should I?

beyond_ban
08-12-2008, 09:38 AM
Hello Beyond...

A friend of mine has an Audi A6 with 247XXX KMs on it. It has been mostly highway KMs because he is a traveling salesman, and is often out of town with his car. He just got the brakes done and some other regular maintenance (oil, fluids... etc). He is now offering the car to me for 9500 because he has his new M3 on the way and needs the garage space.

My question is, for 9500 can i go wrong? I know the KMs are quite high for an 04 but the cars interior is mint and the exterior is good considering the KMs. There are a few nicks and dings which is to be expected, but the body is still pretty damn mint. The color is like a graphite gray ext with black leather interior.

What i really want to know is, can i go wrong with this car considering its 4/5 condition and the engine still runs strong. I know i can run into large maintenance costs, but for $9500 I personally don't see how i can go wrong and it is a canadian car.

Let me know your opinions!

DayGlow
08-12-2008, 09:52 AM
what engine? The 2.7T is very high strung and the turbos would be near the end of their life. Not sure about the characteristics of the 4.2 if that's what it has.

beyond_ban
08-12-2008, 10:16 AM
I know it is the twin turbo engine, but i thought it was a 3.2 or something rather then a 2.7. That is one main concern because once those turbos are not producing boost i am looking at a hefty bill. Considering that, even if i drive it for a year and put on another 15-20XXX KMs, will the resale drop much below what i paid for it? This model also has stock Audi 18'' rims, if that helps figure out what model it is.

R-Audi
08-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Find out which engine.. the 3.2 is the V6, 2.7T is the turbo V6..

colinxx235
08-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Find out which engine.. the 3.2 is the V6, 2.7T is the turbo V6..

errrr I thought 04 A6 came in 2.7T/3.0/4.2 ... I don't believe a 3.2 engine was made that year...?

But yah, definitely wouldn't buy a 2.7T with that much wear on it, even for the price :P

beyond_ban
08-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Ya he told me it was turbo so it must be the 2.7. $9500 just seems like a crazy price for an 04 A6. So say theoretically i buy the car, and 10XXX KMs later the turbos go and produce no boost. Would that be a necessary fix, or could one still technically drive it with no boost, as gutless as it would be?

Also, if i was to run into a major problem as such, what kind of a bill would i be looking at for a new turbo setup?

schocker
08-12-2008, 10:44 AM
I am going to say it would drive pretty poorly with broken turbos.
I would say being at 240k, the turbos are ready to go anytime now, and it wont be cheap to fix them. I had thought they were primed to fail around 100k miles.

bituerbo
08-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
Ya he told me it was turbo so it must be the 2.7. $9500 just seems like a crazy price for an 04 A6. So say theoretically i buy the car, and 10XXX KMs later the turbos go and produce no boost. Would that be a necessary fix, or could one still technically drive it with no boost, as gutless as it would be?

Also, if i was to run into a major problem as such, what kind of a bill would i be looking at for a new turbo setup?

No, you shouldn't drive at all with blown turbos. You could end up obliterating your heads. I just bought my A6 within the past 2 months, turbo's blew almost immediately. So far I'm $12,000 into fixing it and it's still not done, and my car only had 50,000km. If those turbos' are original, that car is running on unicorn dust.

colinxx235
08-12-2008, 10:49 AM

Hard to say what blue book value of a 250K A6 is, but i'm sure the price is lower then rated... my brother drives an 02 1.8T and hasn't had turbo issues yet (120K) but I know in terms of other repairs the cost is quite outrageous. I'm not sure if this A6 is auto or manu, but a new transmission for him was 5K on the dot, (auto w/ tip) and new brakes (all around) was ~1400 from Audi.

Information such as when/if breaks were replaced, compression test on engine/full mech inspections, tranny if/when replaced would probably help the decision, if nothing has been done (car held out on major repairs until now) I would run away as >10K repairs would be flying at you soon

beyond_ban
08-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by bituerbo

No, you shouldn't drive at all with blown turbos. You could end up obliterating your heads. I just bought my A6 within the past 2 months, turbo's blew almost immediately. So far I'm $12,000 into fixing it and it's still not done, and my car only had 50,000km. If those turbos' are original, that car is running on unicorn dust.

Ya i figure that car will be in the shop soon. What has your $12k gotten you in regards to repairs? It is not as simple as just getting a licensed shop to throw a replacement turbo in? 50,000KM is nothing. Your car must have had some rough luck...

On a side note, what kind of cash will it take to throw in a swap for the larger N/A V6 or the V8?

The car also needs a new hood and some one jumped on it and dented the shit out of it.... another grand for parts/paint?

beyond_ban
08-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by colinxx235

Hard to say what blue book value of a 250K A6 is, but i'm sure the price is lower then rated... my brother drives an 02 1.8T and hasn't had turbo issues yet (120K) but I know in terms of other repairs the cost is quite outrageous. I'm not sure if this A6 is auto or manu, but a new transmission for him was 5K on the dot, (auto w/ tip) and new brakes (all around) was ~1400 from Audi.

Information such as when/if breaks were replaced, compression test on engine/full mech inspections, tranny if/when replaced would probably help the decision, if nothing has been done (car held out on major repairs until now) I would run away as >10K repairs would be flying at you soon
It has the auto with sport shift and it is all original as far as i know. I know the brakes were all just done for around 2g at an audi dealer. I just talkewd to him about it some more and the only problems he has right now is the alternator is cutting out, and the hood is dented. As far as other mechanics he said it is running strong. When he took me for a ride in it the turbos spooled nicely and the car had plenty of punch left in it. Does the fact that most KMs put on it were highway? Or are KMs just KMs?

benyl
08-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Something isn't right.

The cheapest A6 2.7T in alberta on the autotrader website is $20K.

He could get more money by trading it in than selling it to you.

beyond_ban
08-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by benyl
Something isn't right.

The cheapest A6 2.7T in alberta on the autotrader website is $20K.

He could get more money by trading it in than selling it to you.

He realizes that, but he isn't to concerned with money as much as helping a friend out. He has a for sale sign on it asking $15,000. For the price it feels like i cant go wrong... I am just uber concerned about getting the car, driving it for a day then getting raped with 10-15k fix ups...

EDIT: How many KMs on the one for 20? and what year?

jonnycat
08-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Try to get him down to 5 or 6 grand.

colinxx235
08-12-2008, 10:59 AM

It has the auto with sport shift and it is all original as far as i know. I know the brakes were all just done for around 2g at an audi dealer. I just talkewd to him about it some more and the only problems he has right now is the alternator is cutting out, and the hood is dented. As far as other mechanics he said it is running strong. When he took me for a ride in it the turbos spooled nicely and the car had plenty of punch left in it. Does the fact that most KMs put on it were highway? Or are KMs just KMs?

Well high way KMs will help alot in the life, less shifting/hard work on everything... if he's still on the original transmission thats impressive, my brothers went at ~104 Km, and i'm not sure if the a4 auto w sport is the same in the a6, but as I said it was exactly 5000 to fix, not cheap at all... i'd be scared that it would go soon. His started quite suddenly and went down hill fast... we thought turbos were just skipping/jumping and within 2 weeks he required a new one as his car would no longer go into reverse, and would move forward in neutral.

I'd be skeptical as many people are pointing out. 9500 seems quite low and that you will be getting yourself into alot of trouble. Probably better off buying a 22k used one with way less km's, either way end up spending the same amount haha :poosie:

S4maniac
08-12-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm an Audi fanboy, but even I would be leary of a 2.7t with that many kms. Now that being said, if they blow, its the same price to upgrade the stock turbo with a KO4 turbo which puts you over 300 pony's.

bspot
08-12-2008, 11:32 AM
^ Exactly. Use all the extra money you are saving for K04's and she'll run for years to come.

bituerbo
08-12-2008, 11:38 AM

Ya i figure that car will be in the shop soon. What has your $12k gotten you in regards to repairs? It is not as simple as just getting a licensed shop to throw a replacement turbo in? 50,000KM is nothing. Your car must have had some rough luck...

On a side note, what kind of cash will it take to throw in a swap for the larger N/A V6 or the V8?

The car also needs a new hood and some one jumped on it and dented the shit out of it.... another grand for parts/paint?

The V8 has a longer and wider engine bay, you can't swap that engine into where a V6 was previously. The 3.0/3.2 I ***think*** only came FWD, and might even be a transverse layout while the rest are longitudinal to accomodate for the awd trans, so again not a viable option.

So far I had the engine pulled, bought K04 replacement turbo's (stock on an RS4) fuelling kit to support the bigger turbo's, had the engine pulled, bought all the supporting hardware to handle the extra power (upgraded hoses, mounts, air delivery etc), and then had the engine pulled a 2nd time after the turbo's I got from Borg Warner turned out to be bad and have to be shipped back.

The A6 auto trans in the 2.7T is essentially the same aut trans in the S4.

bituerbo
08-12-2008, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by S4maniac
I'm an Audi fanboy, but even I would be leary of a 2.7t with that many kms. Now that being said, if they blow, its the same price to upgrade the stock turbo with a KO4 turbo which puts you over 300 pony's.
A chip gets you over 300 ponys.
K04 turbo's gets you over 400 ponys.

beyond_ban
08-12-2008, 11:52 AM

So are you thinking that is indeed a good deal? Realistically, what kind of problems do you think are near other then turbos and the tranny? I am prepared to pay for repairs considering the car is so cheap, i just would be a bit weary if everything melted on my at once.

How much would it cost to install a KO4 turbo kit? Around 10g?

Doozer
08-12-2008, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by bituerbo
If those turbos' are original, that car is running on unicorn dust. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

S4maniac
08-12-2008, 11:58 AM

So are you thinking that is indeed a good deal? Realistically, what kind of problems do you think are near other then turbos and the tranny? I am prepared to pay for repairs considering the car is so cheap, i just would be a bit weary if everything melted on my at once.

How much would it cost to install a KO4 turbo kit? Around 10g?

Ya, I would guess 10-12g's. Then you'd be sitting at 400+ hp as bituerbo noted above.

As for what else would go ... Those are obviously the biggest ticket items. From my experience and what I've seen, the engine is solid.

The real expense would start if you were to go K04 conversion, then you'd wanna do the brakes, coilovers, rims ... etc.

beyond_ban
08-12-2008, 12:04 PM

Ya, I would guess 10-12g's. Then you'd be sitting at 400+ hp as bituerbo noted above.

As for what else would go ... Those are obviously the biggest ticket items. From my experience and what I've seen, the engine is solid.

The real expense would start if you were to go K04 conversion, then you'd wanna do the brakes, coilovers, rims ... etc.

Ya it would start to get expensive, but over time everything is affordable depending on how much i want to drop into the car. The worst would be to buy the car, and then have the main ticket items blow up and run me 15k in instant repair right after i bought. I am a bit weary because we are going into winter as well. Does anyone know if winter would bring the worst out in the car, or would the engine run just the same in the cold?

So far i am leaning towards picking it up, pending a passed mechanical inspection.

To all the Audi gurus -- where would you recommend i take the car for a check up? Just a dealer? Or is there a more cost efficient place in town that does great work?

Tik-Tok
08-12-2008, 12:18 PM

To all the Audi gurus -- where would you recommend i take the car for a check up? Just a dealer? Or is there a more cost efficient place in town that does great work?

Tunedub.

zipdoa
08-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Tunedub.

+1 for Tunedub. George is the man with the plan, hands down, best vw/audi shop in calgary.

zipdoa
08-12-2008, 12:24 PM
if the car has a standard transmission, I would jump on that deal and start saving for K04's!

A790
08-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Buy it dude and drive it till it gives you problems. If he's a good friend and took care of his car it doesn't seem like a bad deal.

beyond_ban
08-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa
if the car has a standard transmission, I would jump on that deal and start saving for K04's!

It's an auto with sport stick.... I am sitting right in the middle of the fence right now. One side is leaning towards jumping, and then i would just take the inevitable repair costs with a grain of salt, or i just wait it out for a similar car with less KM for around 15-20.... damnit.

Tik-Tok
08-12-2008, 01:46 PM

It's an auto with sport stick.... I am sitting right in the middle of the fence right now. One side is leaning towards jumping, and then i would just take the inevitable repair costs with a grain of salt, or i just wait it out for a similar car with less KM for around 15-20.... damnit.

Depends on if you want re-sale or not. Not many are going to look at your car, even if you did the full-on K04 upgrade.

As a side note, tiptronics do not handle 400+ hp very well, without strengthening their guts

benyl
08-12-2008, 01:51 PM
It is kind-of a grandpa car. It is heavy, not that great on gas. and the turbo lag sucks. What is the attraction?

beyond_ban
08-12-2008, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by benyl
It is kind-of a grandpa car. It is heavy, not that great on gas. and the turbo lag sucks. What is the attraction?

Mainly the price and the fact that is such a smooth ride. My everyday commute to work is an hour both ways so driving this car would make it a little bit more bearable with the auto and all. It may not be a super fast sports car, but as a DD i can see it being nice. It has nice tints all the way around and with a nicer 19'' staggered rim with coilovers would make it look fairly mean. The AWD is another nice option as well.... All in all i am mainly attracted to it because i know its history, its a killer price considering the car and it would be a nice daily drive...

Casa
08-12-2008, 02:23 PM
the problem with buying an Audi with that many km's, is that the re-sale value will never be more than what you paid for. At a trade-in (and I appraise cars) I would most likely appraise that Audi for realistically 3-5 grand max. Thats way too many km, the condition doesn't sound mint, and Audi is terribly unreliable, although decent I guess if you maintain them. However after you buy it, you'll most likely be in the hole thousands and thousands and you'll never get your money out of it (no matter what engine swaps you do or whatever aftermarket shit you put in it) and you'll never be able to sell it for the price you bought it for. Bad idea imo.

beyond_ban
08-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Casa
the problem with buying an Audi with that many km's, is that the re-sale value will never be more than what you paid for. At a trade-in (and I appraise cars) I would most likely appraise that Audi for realistically 3-5 grand max. Thats way too many km, the condition doesn't sound mint, and Audi is terribly unreliable, although decent I guess if you maintain them. However after you buy it, you'll most likely be in the hole thousands and thousands and you'll never get your money out of it (no matter what engine swaps you do or whatever aftermarket shit you put in it) and you'll never be able to sell it for the price you bought it for. Bad idea imo.

Considering the KM, the body is in excellent shape minus the vandalized hood.... the turbos were replaced by the previous owner at 110XXX KMs so they are on there last leg too. I think i am going to stay away for now, but if i could get him down another G or so i would be in. He also just replaced the brakes with a brembo big brake kit and new struts all around.

rc2002
08-12-2008, 03:24 PM
You might have a hard time getting rid of a car with that kind of mileage. Plus wear and tear after 240,000km probably wouldn't be limited to just the turbos either.

beyond_ban
08-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
You might have a hard time getting rid of a car with that kind of mileage. Plus wear and tear after 240,000km probably wouldn't be limited to just the turbos either.

Exactly what i am thinking. Any newer car with that much mileage is not going to draw much attention, especially an Audi. The resale value is probably the biggest hindrance to me buying this car, other then repair costs over time. I definitely do not want to get in over my head, then sell the car out of desperation for what i paid (if i am lucky...) and lose all my money on the parts i would have put into it. If anyone wants an Audi A6 with 248XXXKMs with turbos rebuilt mid 100XXXKMs and a new brembo big brake kit with less then 5k KMs on it for 10g, PM me!