PDA

View Full Version : Koryo BBQ Sauce

Thaco
08-12-2008, 04:19 PM
Anybody know what's in this or how to make it? i LOVE this stuff, i'd love to be able to make it myself.

TKRIS
08-12-2008, 04:23 PM
I hated almost everything about living in Calgary, and I'll never move back.

But goddamned if I don't miss the Koryo BBQ place at the mall.

I bet the guy that owns the one in the North Hill mall would still remember me from years ago when I worked at Sears and ate there almost every day...

Thaco
08-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by TKRIS
I hated almost everything about living in Calgary, and I'll never move back.

But goddamned if I don't miss the Koryo BBQ place at the mall.

I bet the guy that owns the one in the North Hill mall would still remember me from years ago when I worked at Sears and ate there almost every day...

yep, they just put one in deerfoot mall about a month ago, i go there 3+ times/week for lunch.

dj_rice
08-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Superstore has this Korean BBQ sauce marinade they just introduced a few months back to marinade with thin chuck ribs....they were always sold out everytime I was there to buy that sauce though

yoda124
08-12-2008, 04:35 PM
the one at sunridge mall doesn't taste as good as the one at north hill.Plus I didn't like them asking me for a tip when I paid with debit card.

Speed_69
08-12-2008, 04:37 PM
I think the one at sunridge mall tastes better then the one at north hill.

I never knew there was one at deerfoot mall...great for me now:thumbsup:

yoda124
08-12-2008, 04:44 PM
lol.I ate there at sunridge three times and not finishing my plate yet,had to make a mad dash to the bathroom everytime.

Cooked Rice
08-13-2008, 12:28 AM
haven't been there for awhile. I've been there once, at West Ed. mall. I had the dumpling udon, was quite good. And seemed rather healthy. I'll have to go to the Deerfoot mall one tomorrow on the way to work,

BerserkerCatSplat
08-13-2008, 01:05 AM
I used to eat there all the time back when I worked at the Home Despot, good stuff.

nj2Type-S
08-13-2008, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by yoda124
the one at sunridge mall doesn't taste as good as the one at north hill.Plus I didn't like them asking me for a tip when I paid with debit card.

OT but yeah, i do hate how there's a "tip" menu when using debit. it's FAST FOOD!!!

bulaian
08-13-2008, 07:53 AM
sucks how the one downtown costs close to $7 for a beef and chicken combo, whereas at north hill it costs $5.99 and you get a drink :thumbsdow

nj2Type-S
08-13-2008, 07:57 AM
but their food is sooo good! i love the garlic potatoes!!! :drool:

Thaco
08-13-2008, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by bulaian
sucks how the one downtown costs close to $7 for a beef and chicken combo, whereas at north hill it costs $5.99 and you get a drink :thumbsdow

deerfoot it's 3.99 and 4.99 for the beef and chicken respectively, no drink included.

I'm referring to the flamers, maybe we're talking about different stuff.

FilthyMcNasty
08-13-2008, 08:34 AM
the koryo downtown on the plus 15 close to the bantrel tower sells chicken and beef special including drink for 7.32 plus tax. I go there for lunch almost every day.

TKRIS
08-13-2008, 09:07 AM
You motherfuckers.

Here I sit, hung over and 150km away, and you assholes are still talking about delicious Koryo.
Anyone coming up to Red Deer today?
There's some money in it for you if you bring me a giant vat of garlic potatos...

Despair*
08-13-2008, 02:14 PM
I've been to Koryo only once and thought it was pretty good although I wasn't really sure what I was doing. I picked something and had no idea that I was suppose to pick sides as well.

Do any of you guys have suggestions for sides?

I may have to go back to the Norht Hill location the next chance I get.!

Thaco
08-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Despair*
I've been to Koryo only once and thought it was pretty good although I wasn't really sure what I was doing. I picked something and had no idea that I was suppose to pick sides as well.

Do any of you guys have suggestions for sides?

I may have to go back to the Norht Hill location the next chance I get.! the garlic potatos

TYMSMNY
08-13-2008, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
the garlic potatos

Garlic Potatos and Glass Noodle. :drool:

nj2Type-S
08-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

Garlic Potatos and Glass Noodle. :drool:

bingo!! i always get either the noodles or bean sprouts but always the garlic potatos!!

TKRIS
08-13-2008, 03:05 PM
I've got 2 giant steaks that have been sitting in marinade for a day or so. I'm going to whip some of these up to accompany tonight.
http://www.grouprecipes.com/2999/korean-spicy-potato-side-dish-gamja-jorim.html

saiyajin
08-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by bulaian

northhill costs 7.49 for the special which is the chicken and beef and comes with a drink

they raised their prices last week it used to be 6.49 for the special :banghead:

GQBalla
08-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Get the huge special plus kim chi, glass noodles, and the potatoes

bulaian
08-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by saiyajin

northhill costs 7.49 for the special which is the chicken and beef and comes with a drink

they raised their prices last week it used to be 6.49 for the special :banghead:

damn... i guess it's been a while since i've been there.

sdiep
12-03-2008, 05:24 PM
You motherfuckers.

Here I sit, hung over and 150km away, and you assholes are still talking about delicious Koryo.
There's some money in it for you if you bring me a giant vat of garlic potatos...

They're going to be opening a Koryo in Red Deer next year.

gkAeris
12-03-2008, 05:33 PM
you can buy a similar marniade at the korean town stores

(10th ave and 14 st corner)

and all other korean recipes, kim chees, tok book key etc.

TYMSMNY
12-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by yoda124

Sunridge owner = old North Hill owner

flipstah
12-03-2008, 07:02 PM
I like the Koryo at Sunridge! YUM!

Would go back over and over for sure, but I rarely go to Sunridge nowadays.

But yeah, their food is absolutely delish! Poh-tay-toes...:drool:

HybridTheory
12-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Mmmmm I had Koryo for lunch today and I went to the one at 5th and 5th. I like the one at Bankers Hall better. Still have to try the one at Sunridge.

TKRIS
12-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by sdiep

They're going to be opening a Koryo in Red Deer next year.

I'm going to need specifics.

Don't toy with my emotions like that.

chengj
12-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Don't know much about Koryo, but as for the BBQ sauce, It's actually fairly easy to make. A quick google will point you there.

If you don't wanna do it yourself, many Asian grocery stores (T&T), sell various brands of Korean BBQ sauce. I've tried various combinations of the store bought stuff and my own recipes and have had some good results. Usually, I go half store bought and half my own stuff.

sdiep
12-06-2008, 10:54 PM

I'm going to need specifics.

Don't toy with my emotions like that.

Haha, word is that they are supposed to open at Bower Mall, since they are doing further expansion.

The plan is, Jugo Juice comes in, along with Koryo. But of course, this is the preliminary, we shall see what happens...

Fusion
12-07-2008, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

Sunridge owner = old North Hill owner

It doesnt matter. I use to eat same restaurent everyday but sometime it taste different.

Davetronz
12-08-2008, 01:02 AM
I've seen this place all the time when I go to Thai express in sunridge. I've wanted to try it but wasn't sure if it was any good. Maybe I will try it tomorrow now.

andreiboo
03-02-2010, 10:53 PM
in SASKATOON theyve got the JUMBO on SPECIAL with a FREE drink. cant go wrong with a 9.96 meal with tax.....

darkkent
03-02-2010, 11:13 PM
the jumbo combo is the best $9 lunch out there !

nj2Type-S
03-03-2010, 11:42 AM
now i'm craving for them garlic potatoes. too bad they're only good for an hour or so, lol. they taste like crap once they're all soft.

jwslam
02-15-2018, 01:48 PM
deerfoot it's 3.99 and 4.99 for the beef and chicken respectively, no drink included.

I'm referring to the flamers, maybe we're talking about different stuff.
Random bump.
Just paid $11.43 tax in for Beef combo at TD Core. ugh.

Also, still looks like nobody answered @Thaco (https://forums.beyond.ca/member.php?u=20755) as to how to make the sauce LOL
That's how I came across this thread anyways... the google machine thing sent me here

95EG6P
02-15-2018, 02:20 PM
anyone know how to make that pasta salad at koryo tried googling it but nothing comes up.

dirtsniffer
02-15-2018, 05:50 PM
Nvm Was this thinking of koyo

riander5
02-16-2018, 10:44 AM
You motherfuckers.

Sorry... you hate everything about Calgary and moved to.. Red Deer?!?!? :rofl:

Back on topic... everyone knows how great Koryo is. No one has supplied delicious BBQ sauce recipe. Cmon people!

Manhattan
02-16-2018, 12:17 PM
Dunno if I'm just more snobby about food or the quality has gone down since it's part of a large franchise but Koryo doesn't taste like it used to. North Hill and DT Gulf Canada used to be my spots. Beef & chicken with potatoes or pasta plus always get the glass noddles.

Might have to give it a try this weekend to see if quality still sucks.

jwslam
02-16-2018, 02:54 PM
Dunno if I'm just more snobby about food or the quality has gone down since it's part of a large franchise but Koryo doesn't taste like it used to. North Hill and DT Gulf Canada used to be my spots. Beef & chicken with potatoes or pasta plus always get the glass noddles.

Might have to give it a try this weekend to see if quality still sucks.
Definitely agree that there's discrepancy. Not enough for me to say that the food is bad...
Still haven't found a place that does potatoes as good as what Deerfoot did, so damn crispy!