PDA

View Full Version : Ambulance Fees

signature7
08-12-2008, 05:33 PM
I had an allergic reaction from a desensitization shot a few months back. It became serious as i was driving so i was forced to dial 911 and assistance from ems and firefighters came promptly.

I just got the ambulance bill right now checking the mail. And it's comes to 300 some odd dollars. I have coverage form Blue cross either plan b or plan c i have to check when i get home. I'm just wondering if anyone knows how much blue cross will pay in terms of percentage?

I would phone them, but they're closed right now. Thanks for any helpful info beyond!

ps. sorry for the neediness these past weeks lol

The Cosworth
08-12-2008, 05:36 PM
should be 100%

signature7
08-12-2008, 05:39 PM
that's what i had heard as well, i just wasn't sure. I checked the blue cross website and all they state is,"Enhanced extended health coverage (includes ambulance, accidental dental care, physiotherapy services, semi-private and private hospital rooms, home nursing care and more) ".

Thanks for the info cosworth.

The Cosworth
08-12-2008, 05:40 PM
^^ no problem. I never used it when I had Blue Cross but that is what I remember from reading my information booklet back then.

broken_legs
08-12-2008, 08:25 PM
I think that the ambulance personnel should tell you how much the ride costs first.

I snapped my ACL/MCL at COP and some idiot bystander called 9-1-1 even though I said I was fine.

I rode my bike down to the parking lot and I was going to call a cab and then the ambulance shows up and they practically forced me to go for the 10 minute ride. I would have objected much harder knowing the cost

375 dollars later I was not very happy.

signature7
08-12-2008, 08:36 PM
yeah at the moment i wasn't worried with the cost, the thought did go in and out of my head but i probably told myself dont worry blue cross has it covered. Then in the hospital the ems that was looking after me left and my mom asked another ems personel who took over and made sure i was ok, but she said she didn't know.

revelations
08-12-2008, 10:03 PM
So how does that work for people below the poverty line, is there a government refund available?

swak
08-13-2008, 11:05 AM
my sister had a concussion at L. Louise snowboarding, $600 ride to hospital (closest Banff)

i dont know how much blue cross covered for her, but all i remember is it being a pain in the butt, calls back and forth.
Man... good luck.

89coupe
08-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Didn't the Ambulance technician ask you for your Alberta Blue Cross card? It says right on the card if you are covered or not.

If you are, they don't even send you a bill.

lowryder99
08-13-2008, 11:37 AM
blue cross sucks.

n1zm0
08-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by broken_legs
I rode my bike down to the parking lot and I was going to call a cab and then the ambulance shows up and they practically forced me to go for the 10 minute ride. I would have objected much harder knowing the cost

375 dollars later I was not very happy.

i was a passenger in an otherwise 'clumsy' rollover in a Cherokee, litterally tipped over at a snails pace after losing control crossing the median, and pretty much the sideview mirror was the only damage, i had my seatbelt on and pretty much climbed out after the driver and we had a smoke when it was all over.

i started walking towards the petro can to get a slurpee while the driver and the towtruck operator were talking (isn't that funny, a towtruck came out before the ambulance :nut: ), then the ambulance came, bystanders started pointing at me and the 2 EMS personel broke into a jog to come and tell me to get on the ground and don't move anything. (i guess it's their ass if they don't follow procedure)

all in all like someone said 450$ later and phone calls back and forth i got the 'sit inside the ambulance and write a statement' fee waived.

signature7
08-13-2008, 12:15 PM
89coupe, i wasn't sure if i had it with me. At the time of the incident i was out of it and the paramedic just grabbed my wallet and looked through it to fill out forms. But yes on the billing information it said they can only directly bill blue cross other companies you responsible to bill them. On my card it says extended health benefits but i misunderstood if that was 100% coverage or not.

My mom mentioned it during my stay there but original paramedic that was looking after me and my paperwork left. However I called the number provided on the invoice and they are billing blue cross now. If i had my blue cross on me i probably woudn't have gotten an invoice.

avow
08-14-2008, 11:08 PM
me and my brother were on the tramp when we were younger and he pissed me off so i pushed him. smoked his head on the spring edge and was bleeding everywhere. called the ambulance they came patched him up. got a bill for $300 something. i think the family paid it and about a month latr blue cross sent a cheque in the mail refunding the full amount. i am sure you could get it waved earlyer though and not have to pay anything.