PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Importing from the US

cowman
08-12-2008, 08:15 PM
Hey guys,

I have looked at Jaymez's thread but I want to make sure and confirm some things. I'm looking forward to purchasing a 06 M3 competition package, 07 335i, 06+ G35 coupe, 07 Audi TT, or 06+ STI.

First step- check if vehicle is admissible to Canada
I believe all of the following vehicles are admissible except for some that are manufactured after september 2007.

Second Step- Documents
1.US title to vehicle- the owner/dealership usually has this? How long does this need?
2.Bill of Sale- Are all bill of sales the same, could I use the one I get in Alberta?
3.Recall letter- should I get this here or in the states at the dealership? $500
4. Call US customs to inform them 3 days ahead
5. Fax title to Whitelast Montana
6. Get temp insurance and registration
7. Go to DMV and get export pass ($15?)
8. Forgot, admissibility letter ($350?)
Third- At border
1. pay Riv fee. ($209?)
2.Pay duty(6.1%?) plus tax (5%?).
3.AC tax ($100?)

Fourth
1. Instal daytime running lights
2.Car inspection (at provincial and federal level? (paper bought for $18 and pay for inspection?)

and some questions..:
- I read that I should photocopy how much I paid for the car because customs may think you are lying. In order to do that, I need a certified cheque, but I also recall someone saying it'll take 2 weeks to clear so wire the money, How on earth would I provide any sort of evidence that I didnt lie?
- What major modifications do I need to do if I purchased one of those cars and how much.
- Do I have to get BMW to do all my modifications if I purchased a 335 or M3? (how much?)
- How long does it take to get through US and Canadian customs?
- What happens if they don't let me pass for some suprising reason?
- I just read about some form 1 and 2 that I need to fill out, when do I fill that out?
- Is there anything else I should be concerned about, and am I missing anything?

Thanks for the help guys

nbaker00
08-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by cowman

and some questions..:
- I read that I should photocopy how much I paid for the car because customs may think you are lying. In order to do that, I need a certified cheque, but I also recall someone saying it'll take 2 weeks to clear so wire the money, How on earth would I provide any sort of evidence that I didnt lie?
- What major modifications do I need to do if I purchased one of those cars and how much.
- Do I have to get BMW to do all my modifications if I purchased a 335 or M3? (how much?)
- How long does it take to get through US and Canadian customs?
- What happens if they don't let me pass for some suprising reason?
- I just read about some form 1 and 2 that I need to fill out, when do I fill that out?
- Is there anything else I should be concerned about, and am I missing anything?

Thanks for the help guys

1) Photocopy your wire transfer form (we use Custom Clearing House.. great company to deal with for money exchanges/wires)
2) The 335 requires a cluster change at BMW which costs around $3,000 with labour. Not sure if the M3 requires this..
3) Depends on the line at the border..
4) You fix the problem, and take it back.
5) The Form 1 is filled out at the border... Just basic vehicle information.. Just a visual inspection is needed. Your Form 2 (Out of country inspection) is mailed to you after you have faxed your recall letter to the border. You then take your Form 2 to stampede toyota.. they look around the car, takes 5 mins, and he stamps the form. You then fax it to the border and you will eventually recieve your RIV Sticker aka "the final Step"

Pm me with any other questions

cam_wmh
08-12-2008, 11:05 PM
It's replies like the previous post, from nbaker that had me thinking he was 25+. good on ya kid, your professionalism has you pointed in the right direction

schocker
08-12-2008, 11:09 PM
on the recall letters, they will vary from manufacturer, i know infiniti and audi ones are free.

i am interested in the modification and extra costs on the e46 m3 though.