PDA

View Full Version : Car wont start after changing battery

sCream
08-13-2008, 12:42 PM
I havent driven my sentra in about 5 months so the battery ended up dying on me when i tried to start about a week ago. So i went and bought a new battery for it and now it wont turn over or do anything, the keyless entry doesnt even work now. I have an old Clifford Matrix RS3 alarm/start installed so i thought it might be the ignition kill but if that was the main problem, the radio and doors would work.

Am i right to assume i either a) have the wrong battery b) did not hook it up correctly.. even though everything seemed in order

When you buy a new battery do you have to charge it? Im assuming no, but i dont know for sure

Can anyone guide me in the right direction??

jaylo
08-13-2008, 12:49 PM
The battery may not be fully charged. Go to Auto Value or Partsource and they can diagnose what is wrong with the battery (if any).

Also, those Clifford alarms sometimes have a mind of their own. When I charged my battery before and hooked everything up, my alarm was stuck on "ON." The siren won't go off and the immobilizer was engaged.

Took a lot of fiddling to get it up and running. I basically downloaded the manual and reset the my remote so the alarm brain will recognize my remote.

Tik-Tok
08-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Might want to check your fuses, new batt may have fried 1 or 2

CLiVE
08-13-2008, 01:07 PM
My guess is the immobilizer on the alarm. There is usually a code of some sort to disable it.

DomesticBoy
08-13-2008, 07:10 PM
check ur crank sensor
if its not that, check your fuses also and see if one of the battery wires isnt fried like tik-tok said

sCream
08-13-2008, 10:21 PM
i looked at the fuse box but didnt know which fuse to check? i didnt find anyone that was specific to the battery.. any ideas what it might be listed under?

brown_guy
08-14-2008, 06:40 AM
did you hook it up right check your Positive and negative terminals ....might be in backwords ?:thumbsup:

Tik-Tok
08-14-2008, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by sCream
i looked at the fuse box but didnt know which fuse to check? i didnt find anyone that was specific to the battery.. any ideas what it might be listed under?

I don't know your specific car, but usually the big fuses are in the engine compartment (fuseable links).

Like brown_guy said, check the battery connections too