PDA

View Full Version : Best phone for Fido?

Mitsu3000gt
08-13-2008, 02:36 PM
I am finally elegible for a hardware upgrade from Fido, and have an excellent plan so I have no desire to change it as of yet but I would like a new phone. I don't know anything about cell phones but often read stuff from some people here who seem to know their stuff.

I won't be needing e-mail or MP3 player features, but the navigation would be cool if it didn't cost anything extra (probably does though).

Whats the best Fido phone these days? My number one priority is reception (not sure if some phones are better than others) and also I always keep it in my pocket so it needs to be reasonably thin.

I hear lots about the Nokia N95, but Fido doesn't seem to have it on their website.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

analbumcover
08-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Have you thought about the iPhone?

you could probably get a better plan from retentions, and the iphone is super handy. 3G has saved my ass quite a few times

A790
08-13-2008, 02:45 PM
iPhone right now for sure. All the standard features, e-mail, maps, etc. A very good phone.

Thaco
08-13-2008, 02:57 PM
if you don't want data, and you want good battery life, don't get the iphone.

I'd say just hold out, there are soem new handsets rumored to be coming, and you can just stay month to month with no agreement

DJ_NAV
08-13-2008, 04:31 PM
also if u upgrade they will make u sign a new contract... dont do that either.. the new companies are coming next year and they will have better plans!..

i'm in the same boat and was about to the get the iphone.. but im waiting till next year.

Mitsu3000gt
08-14-2008, 09:42 AM
Thanks guys, I might hold off a bit and then if nothing I like better comes out, just hop on the band wagon and get the iPhone.

beyond_ban
08-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Ya the iphone is nice. I have the BB 8130 and it is a really nice phone too....

Off topic, but for a basic plan on an iphone with enough data to have a bit of fun, what kind of cost are you looking at?

bigbadboss101
08-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Check www.howardforums.com. Some good discussions there and I learned about my Telus "insider" plan there. Phoned Telus up, asked for it and got it.

Thaco
08-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
Ya the iphone is nice. I have the BB 8130 and it is a really nice phone too....

Off topic, but for a basic plan on an iphone with enough data to have a bit of fun, what kind of cost are you looking at? you can use any voice plan with the iphone, the promo plan is $30 for 6GB (which is TONS i have only used 200MB in the past month, and at 6GB/mo, that's 200MB/day i have access to)

beyond_ban
08-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Thaco
you can use any voice plan with the iphone, the promo plan is $30 for 6GB (which is TONS i have only used 200MB in the past month, and at 6GB/mo, that's 200MB/day i have access to)

i may have to throw my bell plan away (15 months left ... :banghead: ) and jump on the iphone band wagon. My BB is probably costing as much as the iphone/month

jwslam
08-14-2008, 10:31 AM
iphone is overrated

but basically all other fido phones suck

so you're f'd

spyce
08-14-2008, 11:28 AM
If you said you were going to email I would suggest the Nokia E71-2.
Its suppose to be coming out on Fido within the next month or so

beyondmike
08-14-2008, 01:39 PM
do what i did,
get the iphone for free with your fido dollars,
then sell the iphone for a rediculous price,
then buy yourself an unlocked handset and pocket the rest of the cash.
only stipulation, you must sign a 3yr contract which i believe you still must to get your fido dollars and redeem them.

Mitsu3000gt
08-25-2008, 08:50 AM
I have a new question now - on the weekend I dropped my phone into a lake lol, and will need to buy a new one immediately. My question though is because my old phone is gone forever, can I still keep my phone number? Or would they have needed my SIM card?

Also I was looking at getting the RAZR 2. Fido doesn't have much for phones right now but that one seems to be the best. I hate touch screens so that rules out the iPhone.

arian_ma
08-25-2008, 09:09 AM
You can keep your number, they just program it into a new SIM.

Mitsu3000gt
08-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma
You can keep your number, they just program it into a new SIM.

Awesome, thanks.

Tomasz
08-25-2008, 03:28 PM
GET THE IPHONE IT ROCKS I GOT ONE :P

Weapon_R
08-25-2008, 03:37 PM
Get a blackberry curve I've been pretty happy with it. As long as you have a good data plan you should be fine. There are also versions with wifi so you won't have to use up much data.