PDA

View Full Version : My first car

Knoxide
08-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Hey everyone im currently looking into buying my first car. Im looking for something fairly cheep, reliable, and main thing cheap on gas. Im currently starting college and need wheels to get there and working a part time job so I dont have a whole lot of cash to play with. Faimily may be willing to help me if I find a cheap enough car. So what would you guys sudgest me to get. Im also in Sudbury ON Canada just fyi if there is any car restrictions and such.

jsn
08-13-2008, 07:18 PM
I'll be the first to reply by saying old civic or corolla. Those things run forever.

FYI it's SUGGEST not SUDGEST

Also, if you use the search button on the top of the screen, you'll probably find at least 5-10 results covering the exact same topic....

dj_rice
08-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Its also cheap not cheep...maybe u should buy a Jeep?

And family not faimily

Micho
08-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Find yourself a Geo Metro and call it a day.

blinkme_210
08-13-2008, 11:29 PM
1987 Toyota Corolla. Done.

funkedelic
08-14-2008, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by jsn
I'll be the first to reply by saying old civic or corolla. Those things run forever.

FYI it's SUGGEST not SUDGEST

Also, if you use the search button on the top of the screen, you'll probably find at least 5-10 results covering the exact same topic....

:werd:

i have a corolla as a daily driver, and the car is solid after 175,000kms, my dad bought it new in 98 and has had very minor problems with it. Civics are also cheap and cheap on gas and are reliable.

SprayGUN
08-14-2008, 12:41 AM
My parents are selling a VERY clean 1998 cavalier automatic for $2500. pm me if you are interested!

Eleanor
08-14-2008, 11:07 AM
Civic/Corolla/Camry

:closed:

Destinova403
08-14-2008, 11:11 AM
cavi/cobalt/sunfire/ion

you can get any of these cars REALLY cheap, fairly new, and with low KMs

they are not the most reliable but they are cheap to fix and fairly good on gas.

besides... 10 grand for a 10 year old civic or 10 grand for a 2 year old cavi with a third the KMs

g-m
08-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Destinova403
cavi/cobalt/sunfire/ion

you can get any of these cars REALLY cheap, fairly new, and with low KMs

they are not the most reliable but they are cheap to fix and fairly good on gas.

besides... 10 grand for a 10 year old civic or 10 grand for a 2 year old cavi with a third the KMs
yea but the cavi is on its last legs at that point... and the civic will probably run 500 000km+ before a rebuild

DON'T BUY AMERICAN you WILL be sorry

Other than the japanese cars, you could look into golfs and jettas. Just don't buy anything that was made in the usa

shin0bi
08-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by g-m

yea but the cavi is on its last legs at that point... and the civic will probably run 500 000km+ before a rebuild

DON'T BUY AMERICAN you WILL be sorry

Other than the japanese cars, you could look into golfs and jettas. Just don't buy anything that was made in the usa

Hmmm... I'm respectfully inclined to disagree...

Speaking strictly from experience, my 01 Saturn SC2 has been a trooper. I've never had any sort of problem with it (besides a power window switch needing to be replaced... partially because I spilled a slurpee all over.) It gets great fuel economy, and since it is really light (due in part to its dentproof/rustproof plastic bodypannels) it can hold its own. Especially around bends. They also tend to hold their value pretty well too compared to their domestic stablemates.

Saturns are pretty underrated. Especially in the tuner crowd, but if you're looking for a durable, reliable point A to point B car, and don't want to have the same car as everybody else, its something to consider.

Of course, it all comes down to a matter of personal taste, and what you want or expect out of your car. but a word of advice for you regardless of what you choose to go with: Find 2 or 3 cars you're interested in, do some real world research (ie. talk to owners, mechanics, insurance agents, etc.) to whittle your choices down. Lets face it... forums are always biased.
:D

A790
08-14-2008, 01:22 PM
The less stuff on it that can break, the happier you will be.