PDA

View Full Version : F.s 1999 Porsche Boxster 11k

chu77
08-14-2008, 07:42 AM
Engine just got the RMS/IMS issue yesterday. (This issue is very common on these engines) Meaning it will need a new engine. The dealer is willing to install a 2.5L (200hp) for 9-10k that comes with 2 years of warranty.

Or I was planning to implant a 3.4L (300hp) from a carrera, it's almost a straight swap.

Anyways, I'm taking a huge lost on this car, will only sell for $11k. if not I'm going to keep it and do a 3.4L swap.

Vehicle Details
Year : 1999
Make and Model : Porsche Boxster
Exterior Color : White
Interior Color : black leather, white center
Auto or Manual? : 5 spd
Odometer Reading : 63,xxxmiles
Location of Vehicle : Edmonton
Description :

CLEAN TITLE

Engine and tranny is strong, paint is great.

U.S car from Seattle dealership
18"Porsche 911 wheels
63,xxx miles
5 spd

New black leather on seats
New oil charge

Please consider the fact that I have to pay 5% GST, 6.5% duty, importing fee, transportation fee, inspection fee, etc in order to drive any U.S car in Alberta.

Extras :
Asking Price : 23,500 obo, NOW 11,000firm
Contact Information
E-Mail : [email protected]
Phone : pm me

Pictures :

More coming soon!
http://kijiji.ebayimg.com/i12/01/k/000/7b/3e/6aa0_20.JPG?set_id=1C4000

G-Suede
08-14-2008, 07:50 AM
Good thing nobody bought this last week. That sucks man.

analbumcover
08-14-2008, 09:21 AM
you're not having much luck buying and selling are ya buddy

garyb
08-14-2008, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by chu77

New oil charge

but needs a new motor.....

sputnik
08-14-2008, 09:52 AM
What exactly happened to the engine?

Primer_Drift
08-14-2008, 11:29 AM
RMS

RMS (Rear Main Seal) wear exhibits itself as an oil drip. Attributed to the design of the crankshaft and its supporting structure as well as poorly designed seals. Porsche has provided at least 3 generations of parts and fix procedures. Said to be more common in stick shift models than in Tiptronic-equipped cars. About $1000 to repair. Repair consists of measuring the crankshaft hole and, if it is within specs, just replacing the seal with a new seal. If it is outside specs (crankshaft wobbles in the hole), then the suggested repair is engine replacement. You shouldn't pay for this yourself, it is a design flaw. Insist nicely but firmly your dealer contact Porsche

Some cars have experienced multiple RMS problems. Porsche has replaced some of the engines in such cars and in cars where their measurement tool says replacement is the only option. Even out of warranty, they will sometimes buy the engine if you pay the labor..

IMS

IMS (Intermediate Shaft) affects mid '00 and following engines and is fatal to the engine. Is an internal engine failure.

toolpants on www.renntech.org posts: "The intermediate shaft is supported by a bearing on the rear of the engine. This shaft drives things, like the cams via chains. The bearing was a double bearing then Porsche switched to a single bearing. When the bearing fails it damages the engine. I think this change was made in 2001.

You hear a noise like marbles in a can then the engine stops. A nut on the end of the shaft shears off which leave a hole in the back of the engine for oil to pour out. It is too late for you to do anything."

Happens on a very small number of engines, no reported correlation between this failure and any maintenance, track, etc activity. Porsche is helping in situations where this occurs if the car is owned by the original buyer, the maintenance is up to date and the maintenance is all done by the selling dealer and the claim is done through the selling dealer. Other claims seemingly are denied. This is the one design issue that most concerns potential buyers and where there is general feeling that Porsche should stand behind their product even for cars out of warranty.

I've never heard of these problems, so I thought I'd share what I found. Good luck with your sale!

ricosuave
08-14-2008, 11:34 AM
I'll keep my eye open at PnP for ya! :poosie:

C4S
08-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Which dealer is willing to install a new engine for just $10K ??

Good luck man .. it is very risky to buy older sport car from US .. :banghead:

chu77
08-14-2008, 10:56 PM
Well I stopped selling it to another as soon as I found out about the problem.............yup, no luck in buying cars.......

I talked to Porsche and they are willing to pay for 10% of the price since it's a known issue. Look on renntech,org and some engines fail at 30k

Sorry, A "brand new" engine cost about $20k............The 3.4L is about $50k

A new remanufactured engine for the 2.5L cost $8k + $3k install.

The 3.4L cost about 11k+2k core + install (they won't do it, it's diy or pay a shop))

Both comes with 2 year waranty,

If I put in the 3.4L the car will run about 0-60 in 4 secs

Check out the RUF boxster, it was the 1st to have a 3.4L, now they have a 3.6 Twin-turbo (600 hp) boxster too