PDA

View Full Version : Well I'm thinking about getting an LS....

roopi
09-07-2003, 03:59 AM
I sold my car this week and I'm looking at getting a Lincoln LS this week.

I've read up on the car quite a bit and everything seems to be rather positive.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any other information about this car that they have either experienced or heard.

I know the resale value isn't the greatest and it is a domestic...

Speed_Dreams
09-07-2003, 01:31 PM
its a ford......need i say more?

tegdream
09-07-2003, 01:48 PM
v6 is underpowered

v8 or go home! :D

illeagle
09-07-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by tegdream
v6 is underpowered

v8 or go home! :D
I think the Lincoln LS has a V8, with the optional 5 speed manual trans. Nice, rare car, get the maurader instead - hehe:thumbsup:

pinoyhero
09-07-2003, 05:28 PM
I personally don't think its a great car, read the reviews on it vs other cars of a similar class/price range and the only thing it beats is the Mazda milleinium

ninspeed
09-07-2003, 05:54 PM
very very nice car, but i just found it did not handle as well as ford has claimed.. have you looked at the CTS or sebrings?

roopi
09-07-2003, 06:03 PM
Speed_Dreams - Thats what my first concern was. I'm not sure if I want to go with a domestic.

illeagle - It comes with both the 6 or 8. Huge price difference between them as well.

pinoyhero - I haven't read any comparison reviews yet but I'll try and find some. If you have any links it would be appreciated. What other cars are in the same class as the Lincoln LS?

ninspeed - Ford claims it handles great. I drove my cousins 2001 and I was rather impressed with it. I haven't looked at a CTS yet but I will. As for the Sebring I just don't like it. I also went and checked out the Infiniti G35 Sedan and Coupe yesterday. The coupe is unreal but I think I'm in the market for a 4 door car.

Weapon_R
09-07-2003, 06:15 PM
My uncle had a 2002. These are INCREDIBLE cars. If you can handle the depreciation, go for it.

roopi
09-07-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
My uncle had a 2002. These are INCREDIBLE cars. If you can handle the depreciation, go for it.

Do you know of any major problems he has had with the car?

Weapon_R
09-07-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by roopi

Do you know of any major problems he has had with the car?

None whatsoever. The car ran very well until he sold it (he's a ford new car manager, so he gets a new car every 6 months or so). They are well built cars.

962 kid
09-07-2003, 07:32 PM
you can rent one from the hertz on mcleod trail

Heep
09-07-2003, 07:55 PM
You can only buy brand new ones with an automatic transmission, but it suits the style of car very well anyways, and it's a 5-speed auto instead of a 4. You can get them with the "sportshift" mode. Older LS's are auto only in the V8, most of the V6's are auto, and a few here and there are 5-speed manual V6's. I worked at a Ford/Lincoln dealer last year and had the chance to drive a few, they were my favorite car we carried. I never got the chance to drive a manual one, so I can't comment on them. The V6 auto's aren't slow, but not real quick either, they're more for pimpin around. The V8 is impressively quick, but don't expect it to feel like it. The car is built to drive quickly in a very relaxed atmosphere, so it disguises it's speed very well. Your senses tell you you're driving 100 kph when you're really doing 150 kph. I never took one past 160 kph, so I can't comment on what it's like in the higher speeds. Handling was excellent for a car of it's size, very similar to the handling of the 2001 BMW 530i I drove a while back. Outhandles a Caddy STS everytime. Burnouts are available if you want them, but with a simple chirp of the tires, you can accelerate very rapidly around town. The car isn't designed for a race track, so don't expect it to have raw track car performance numbers; instead, it's ultimately useable on the road in traffic and lights and stuff.

Interiors are generally well built and have a nice feel and look to them. Plenty of toys are standard with even more available. I hear nothing but great quality reviews on all but the earliest 2000 model year cars. The mechanics at the dealer have never seen huge troubles with them.

You will have to deal with higher depreciation than on an import, but compared to Ford or Chev branded products, it holds its value fairly well.

Oh, and the "sportshift" is rather slow and delayed...better to just keep it in "D."

Overall, I love the cars, and they're a great buy. If you're buying a new 2004 be prepared for the depreciation, but the below average resale price also makes used or off lease 2003 cars excellent deals.

As with anything, I suggest you try one extensively first, but you've got my approval :)

roopi
09-07-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid
you can rent one from the hertz on mcleod trail

Thanks but I'm looking to buy one. :dunno:

Heep - Thanks for taking the time to write all that info out. It is really appreciated.

I've decided to go with a 2003. Most likely I will opt for the V6 over the V8. Just because I'm not that crazy over power/speed. I've driven the V6 and felt it was good for me

4wheeldrift
09-07-2003, 09:04 PM
From the reviews I've read, the 6 has a slight handling edge over the 8 cylinder versions.

Heep
09-08-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
From the reviews I've read, the 6 has a slight handling edge over the 8 cylinder versions.

True, though it also depends on the wheel/tire combo. As with anything, skinnier, higher profile tires will have slightly less lateral grip to them, but will give you a softer and quieter ride. Opposite for the bigger wheels.

The V6 may not quite have the V8's grunt, but at 232 hp and 220 lbft, it's no slouch either.

I'm not quite sure if the V6 is available with the "sportshift" shiftable automatic, but even if it is I highly suggest you try it before paying extra for it. It's an old and not very highly advanced system with a lot of delay. You may find you like it anyways, but I don't think it's worth any extra money over a regular automatic.

The 6-disc in dash CD changer is a nice option. I can't remember if it's an Alpine or Pioneer deck built for Lincoln, but either way it's nice quality and lets you stick 6 CD's right into in the head unit.

roopi
09-08-2003, 05:13 PM
Well I called up the Lincoln dealership today and told them that I wanted a black 2003 Lincoln LS V6 Sport. He told me that they discontinued V6 for the 2003 models (he even put me on hold to confirm this with some other salespeople). I actually believed him for a second then I'm like wait I've seen the 2003 V6 before. So I tell him that I'll think about the V8 but he should take a look over the next 2 days to see if he finds anything. I'm wondering if he will call back and say that he messed up or if he will just try to sell me a V8.

I think it might be time to call a different dealership.

Unless this article is bogus:

http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/newcarguide/50734120021108.html

4wheeldrift
09-08-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Heep

True, though it also depends on the wheel/tire combo. As with anything, skinnier, higher profile tires will have slightly less lateral grip to them, but will give you a softer and quieter ride. Opposite for the bigger wheels. The handling difference has more to do with differences in polar moment of inertia and weight distribution than anything tire related.

Weapon_R
09-08-2003, 05:34 PM
There is a v6 model man.

According to msn carpoint, there is also a 04 v6 model...

roopi
09-08-2003, 05:36 PM
There is a v6 model man.

According to msn carpoint, there is also a 04 v6 model...

Yeah that guy is a twit and it looks like he is surrounded by twits as well since they confirmed it. Unless he is just trying to sell me the V8 on the lot that I told him I didn't want because it had that keyless code entry on the door.

Heep
09-08-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
The handling difference has more to do with differences in polar moment of inertia and weight distribution than anything tire related.

Again, true. I apologize for the confusion, I should have made myself a bit more clear, I was talking about smaller wheeled V6 models compared to bigger wheeled V6 models, not the V8. My bad.

roopi: There most definitely is a V6 model for every model year, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, and now the 2004's. I was not aware that there was a V6 Sport though, it must be new with the introduction of the 03's. Newest I've driven was an 02 (which was pre-facelift), since I finished my work term at that dealer before the 03's came out. Not sure what all the differences are between the 02's and 03's.

roopi
09-08-2003, 05:56 PM
Yeah he just called back and apoligized and said there are 2003 V6's. Unfortunetly though all the 2003 LS's come with the 'Keyless entry keypad' and I'm not a big fan of that.

Anyways he's going to try and find me one now so I'll keep everyone updated. Thanks for all the info everyone!

04blackMAX
09-08-2003, 06:05 PM
i actually looked at one, before deciding on the new maxima, i love the looks, but the sticker price for anyting decent is crazy, its a domestic still and wont hold its value like any import, IMO

pinoyhero
09-08-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by 04blackMAX
i actually looked at one, before deciding on the new maxima, i love the looks, but the sticker price for anyting decent is crazy, its a domestic still and wont hold its value like any import, IMO

I second that!

roopi
09-08-2003, 11:03 PM
I know it won't hold value like an import but I've already come to terms with that.

What did you pay for a Maxima? What features?

Heep - any idea what they were selling for at your dealership???

04blackMAX
09-08-2003, 11:10 PM
i bought a black on black se 3.5 6 speed 4 seater

and lemme tell you dood, its fuking nice, we looked at the bmw 3 series, LS, cts, mercedes, pretty much everything man

and for the money, sure getting a 5 series bmw or benz would have been great but also 25k more for the features i got in the nissan

www.nissan.ca

cheack out the 4 seater, has more options then the others

i paid like 37,500

i was sold when i drove it 265hp, and the power folding mirrors and power rear sunshade where pretty cool too

04blackMAX
09-08-2003, 11:16 PM
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/406000-406999/406868_7_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/406000-406999/406868_6_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/406000-406999/406868_2_full.jpg

Heep
09-09-2003, 03:44 PM
Heep - any idea what they were selling for at your dealership???

Not sure, sorry. They were selling right around MSRP though, whatever that was. No more, rarely any less.

illeagle
09-09-2003, 09:59 PM
That's pimped. So that's yours? bling'n:bigpimp: :drool:

04blackMAX
09-09-2003, 10:01 PM
no thats not mine, a buddies in the states, but i have the same car, hes got 20's iam doing 22's, i have that same grill though

roopi
09-15-2003, 07:06 PM
Well I bought a 2000 Lincoln LS V8 today. It is the Sport version with about 45,000 KM's. I pick it up on Thursday! :D

Weapon_R
09-15-2003, 07:10 PM
Well I bought a 2000 Lincoln LS V8 today. It is the Sport version with about 45,000 KM's. I pick it up on Thursday! :D

Congrats. Good to see that you went with the v8...

Still pretty new, and it's gotten past the worst period of depreciation.

illeagle
09-15-2003, 07:41 PM
Nice! what color did you get? - I'll see you at the gas station, just Kidding:nut:

illeagle
09-15-2003, 07:45 PM
no thats not mine, a buddies in the states, but i have the same car, hes got 20's iam doing 22's, i have that same grill though
The new Maxima's are really nice. All the nissans/infinity's are kicking ass. the only thing with the Maxima, is sometimes it looks like an altima from the front. nissan should have gave it it's own 'face':bigpimp: -Do all the new maxima's come with the double sunroof's?:dunno:

roopi
09-15-2003, 07:47 PM

Congrats. Good to see that you went with the v8...

Still pretty new, and it's gotten past the worst period of depreciation.

Yeah I figured if I spend $55,000 on a brand new one it will be worth half of that in a year so used was the way to go!

Originally posted by illeagle
Nice! what color did you get? - I'll see you at the gas station, just Kidding:nut:

It shouldn't be that bad on gas actually. It's a 3.9L and I compared the specs to my parents V-6 accord and the figures were not that much higher. That's just figures though. We'll see when I actually start driving it.

I purchased a white one. I think it is actually called White Pearlescent. I wanted a black one but this seemed to be a better deal.

Heep
09-17-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by illeagle

The new Maxima's are really nice. All the nissans/infinity's are kicking ass. the only thing with the Maxima, is sometimes it looks like an altima from the front. nissan should have gave it it's own 'face':bigpimp: -Do all the new maxima's come with the double sunroof's?:dunno:

The front to back double sunroofs that don't open are standard equipment...a conventional power sliding and tilting glass moonroof is optional.

Roopi: Congrats on the purchase...fun car with the V8 :) Also the pearlescent white is really nice, and like most pearl paints it's pretty expensive looking. Hope you enjoy the car.

04blackMAX
09-17-2003, 07:29 PM
the skyview is actually alot nicer than the normal roof

roopi
09-19-2003, 07:21 PM
Well I picked it up today. Here's the pic:

http://www.roopi.ca/temp/firstlspic.jpg

04blackMAX
09-19-2003, 07:25 PM
sweet car man, whats the HP outta the sport?

roopi
09-19-2003, 07:28 PM
sweet car man, whats the HP outta the sport?

ENGINE: 3.9L DOHC V8
DISPLACEMENT: 241 cu. in.
HORSEPOWER: 252 @ 6,100 rpm
TORQUE: 267 ft-lbs @ 4,300 rpm
TRANSMISSION: 5R55N 5-speed automatic w/ overdrive and SelectShift

04blackMAX
09-19-2003, 07:34 PM
nice, it wold be a close race between us man, maybe next summer at race city hehehehehe

Lucas05 3
12-31-2003, 11:31 AM
I may be a little late but:

My parents own a 2001, fully equiped White Lincoln LS with a V8 and I drive it %90 of the time, so I can tell you anything you want to know. ;) I skimmed over some of the posts and I will help specifiy.

Yes, it is Alpine who does the system, but now THX is doing a special for the 2004.

The gas is very good. Even though the tanks are generally small and I burned one in 3 days. :-\ Nevertheless, I average about 17 MPG and I drive a 85% in city, so that isn't bad at all.

The handling and acceleration is just outright sick, as is the ride.

This is the wrong place but the V6 is the way to go unless you want the bragging rights of the V8. V6 is plenty, ecspecially with this car. If your looking to save money that is.

I don't have much time to read all of it but I will later. Any direct questions?

EDIT: I forgot the mention it can only take premium or better fuel. That might help. Or atleast that is what the salesman told my parents.

roopi
12-31-2003, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the info (a little late though) :D

I bought a white 2000 Lincoln LS Sport 3.9L (V8). Very happy with the car. :thumbsup:

Lucas05 3
01-03-2004, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the info (a little late though) :D

Yeah, thats why at the beginning of my post I said:

Originally posted by Lucas05 3
[B]I may be a little late but: :-P