PDA

View Full Version : buy a new car in the US

holden
08-14-2008, 09:50 AM
My dad wants to purchase a new Audi from the US, only problem is that they won't sell to non-US resisdents. He's found the exact vehicle in a dealership in Seattle and wants to know if it possible for his sister (from Seattle) to purchase the vehicle, then sell it to him.

Has anyone had experience with this? Is there any rule as to how long the original owner has to hold onto the car? I thought I read somewhere that the warranty becomes void if they sell it right away.

Thanks

tm88
08-14-2008, 10:00 AM
I do know that some companys void the warranty crossing the border. Others just screw around with you and make it a hassle to have it inspected and what not.

I do think you can have her purchase it and then sell it to you. There will probobly be some issues with warranty and what not though.

Its a audi, who needs warranty:dunno:

Jk

schocker
08-14-2008, 10:08 AM
I dont believe there are any rules with audi regarding the warranty as they are quite good with that so i dont think that would be an issue.

analbumcover
Make sure you find out about the warranty before you do anything. Of course She can buy the car and sell it to him because she owns it, however, if you were planning on financing you'll probably be S.O.L unless you get a higher interest LOC.

Euro838
Yes, that is possible but since his sister is buying it, she will have to pay state taxes. When someone foreign buys this, they will not have to pay state taxes. At the same time though, I'm not sure if you can have the value of the car lower as she will be selling your dad a "used" car.

Warranty shouldn't be an issue for Audi as it does transfer cross border.

The only car company I know of that requires original owner retention is Nissan.

demosticgarbage
08-15-2008, 11:33 AM
buy from another dealership there are some only happy to sell to you.

autosm
08-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by demosticgarbage
buy from another dealership there are some only happy to sell to you.

I never found one that would sell new to you unless you registered it in the USA then you can do what ever you want.

All taxes due and paid on new cars.

nbaker00
08-15-2008, 09:47 PM
If you or your dad want a brand new Audi imported from the States, PM me.
I have a dealership I deal with in the US I have bought brand new Audi's from on several occasions and have no issues.