PDA

View Full Version : Anyone purchase prescription glasses online?

punky
08-14-2008, 04:42 PM
Is it cheaper? better? any link?

dj_rice
08-14-2008, 04:45 PM
clearlycontacts.ca and googles4u.ca

Cheaper yes, better, cant say....cause u get the glasses but they arent custom fit to your face like a store will do for you

If your looking for good price, try Costco

punky
08-14-2008, 04:48 PM
yeah i was thinking costco, but i don't remember them to have a good selection of designer frames.

dj_rice
08-14-2008, 05:06 PM
They dont have a large selections as opposed to Lenscrafters etc. but they're prices are very cheap and their warranty is excellent...

Try checking out Quality Care Optical

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/183604/review-quality-care-optical/

88CRX
08-14-2008, 05:08 PM
I bought my frames online for probably half the price they were locally.

Once they arrived I took them to Costco and got lenses made and the glasses fitted. Costco is by far the cheapest place to get lenses made.

dj_rice
08-14-2008, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

Once they arrived I took them to Costco and got lenses made and the glasses fitted. Costco is by far the cheapest place to get lenses made.

I havent actually thought of that...good idea!!!!

anarchy
08-14-2008, 05:16 PM

Which site did you use to get them online?

I wonder if my company will cover my glasses if I order them online.

punky
08-14-2008, 05:21 PM
2x

Originally posted by anarchy

Which site did you use to get them online?

I wonder if my company will cover my glasses if I order them online.

88CRX
08-14-2008, 05:21 PM
I ordered from http://www.framesdirect.com/ they were great, they arrived in a week or something, shipped from Texas I think. I would have got lenses from them but I was a little weary of them not being done correctly, since they normally have to measure your eye ball location and shit.

My company throught Manulife paid for my frames (or most of them). All I did was send them proof of paypal payment, proof of purchase receipt from frames direct and the actual UPS invoice showing that i received them.

Edit: the frames I got were $130+shipping from Frames-direct and I think they were $300+tax locally.

300rwhp
08-15-2008, 10:07 AM
optical4less.com good service and cheap

Wehbeast
08-15-2008, 03:48 PM
orderedsome from ZenniOptical last year, was like 40$ shipped to my door but my insurance company didnt want to cover them for some reason

punky
08-15-2008, 06:18 PM
lol that place is so cheap, but they don't have any designer glasses.

v2kai
08-15-2008, 06:27 PM
i just did from clearlycontacts.ca
i'll keep you posted when they arrive

D'z Nutz
08-15-2008, 10:12 PM

Do they do eye exams there? I got the frames, I just need my prescription updated and lenses made...

dj_rice
08-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Do they do eye exams there? I got the frames, I just need my prescription updated and lenses made...

I believe so but it could just be a vision test..not real eye exam

punky
08-16-2008, 12:23 AM
Please do! thanks.

i just did from clearlycontacts.ca
i'll keep you posted when they arrive

almost 100% sure costco doesn't do eye exam.

gqmw
08-16-2008, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by punky
Please do! thanks.

almost 100% sure costco doesn't do eye exam.

Yeah i'm pretty sure costco doesn't do eye exams. I also was wondering how much their lenses are, I heard it was a pretty good deal as well. I probably won't end up going there though...cause I go to some asian place already:rofl:

buh_buh
08-18-2008, 05:13 PM
anyone know where else to go besides Costco for cheap lenses? I don't have a membership

dj_rice
08-18-2008, 05:19 PM
Actually yes Costco does do eye examinations, I was there this afternoon

punky
08-18-2008, 09:21 PM
oh cool. good info!

dj_rice
08-18-2008, 09:38 PM
Costco is pretty good, I bought my glasses Aug 3, recieved them Aug 11 and got fitted and everything, than past week the glasses werent fitting right and I was getting headaches from it, went to get re-fitted today, and she said it was cuz who fitted the first time for me, did it all wrong and that the glasses were a wrong fit for my facial shape...said shed put a note on my file that I can bring my glasses in the next 30 days and either get a brand new frame/lens or refund....other places like Lenscrafters would of said too bad sorry..but Costco is awesome

coolme
08-19-2008, 08:32 PM
My pair of glasses from optical4less costed me $80 shipped from hong kong 2 years ago, and it's still holding up fine.

The pair I had before costed me $400 and it lasted 3 years before I had to change my prescription.

The mark-up on glasses is freakin ridiculous. I fail to see why I have to pay 5 times more for glasses in store than I do online.

Oh, when you do your eye examinations, BE SURE TO ASK FOR YOUR P.D. (Pupil Distance), you will need this information when you order your glasses, some optical stores will measure it for you for free if you ask nicely.

BTW, don't worry about paying taxes if you're ordering prescription glasses internationally, prescription glasses are exempt from taxes and you will not be charged custom duties for it.

v2kai
08-20-2008, 08:51 AM
UPDATE:

i ordered my glasses from clearly contacts.ca and i'm so happy i did!

exact same setup i wouldve paid $550 and waited a week i had shipped to my door in 4 days for $177 saved well over $300!!!!!!!

the glasses are great, they came with a small adjusting screwdriver, a nice hard case, cleaning cloth and soft case as well! I got my eyes tested and tried a few pairs on in the store locally to get the sizes of the frames and then went online. the only other piece of information needed was the pupil measurement (see their site for details) i did that myself with a ruler and i think i got it bang on. New glasses are perfect! nice and clear, stylish exactly what i was going to get gouged out the ass for locally and only took my a few minutes to get used to wearing, didnt even give me a headache adjusting to them!!!!

OVERALL RECOMMENDATION: DO IT.

plus they offer a 4 frame trial pack to check out frames and fitment if you want to use it. i'm impatient so i just matched up from the measurements from earlier frames as i only wear glasses in the evenings. i cant see how this can go wrong i'm so happy with them i may wear them during the day. i've been ordering contacts from them for years now and everytime its fast and cheap!:clap:

i'd like to add, some of the locations locally flat out told me ordering glasses online is illegal, and tried everything they could to discourage me from buying online. probably so they could make their $300 markup profit. sorry too bad for you.:thumbsup:

punky
08-20-2008, 09:06 AM
I checked today, they didn't have the frame i want from clearlycontact.ca :(
I'd prefer them because they're located in canada and i've dealt with them before.

coolme
08-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by v2kai
i'd like to add, some of the locations locally flat out told me ordering glasses online is illegal, and tried everything they could to discourage me from buying online. probably so they could make their $300 markup profit. sorry too bad for you.:thumbsup:

What I don't get is how these people are getting away with such a high mark-up with glasses.

You'd think someone would rather slash into their fat markup a little bit to boost sales.