PDA

View Full Version : Further Education

civicHB
08-14-2008, 07:18 PM
Hey Beyond Experts,

I've been working for about three years since graduating university and frankly i'm not satisfied with the amount of money my career is generating. I have a BSC in mathematical sciences and I just don't think this is going to cut it for much longer. I'm looking to specialize in a professional field that will actually be worth something in five to ten years.
Any CFA's on beyond? I will be taking the exam in December and would like some career advise and help with the finding related Jobs
How about any other ideas? Maybe going back to get an engineering degree?

cressida_pimpin
08-14-2008, 09:34 PM
You could get an MBA and go into accounting, finance, marketing etc.

Tearin
08-14-2008, 10:15 PM
I have a professional degree and it pays really well. However, don't think that getting a professional degree is the key to a get rich quick scheme.

Engineer - if, you get through the schooling - you'll have to spend 5 years as an Engineer in Training before writing your P. Eng exam. Then congratulations - you're a geer in a sea o'plenty.

MBA/CFA - shudder - I deal with them everyday and at times that FedEx commercial is bang on. Like money? Big money is in project financing. However, have fun being a financial modeler or relationship manager for several years before you get to look, with averted eyes, at a CFO - let alone speak to them.

Legal - one year of articling and bar admission hoops. Wanna make money - you're competing with everyone for a select number of positions in a tier 1 firm in the hopes of being held on as an associate. Think securities law (and no life) for the $.

Bottom line, big picture - I wouldn't discourage you from higher education. It's the path I followed. But! It took a long time for it to pay off.

civicHB
08-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Tearin
I have a professional degree and it pays really well. However, don't think that getting a professional degree is the key to a get rich quick scheme.

Engineer - if, you get through the schooling - you'll have to spend 5 years as an Engineer in Training before writing your P. Eng exam. Then congratulations - you're a geer in a sea o'plenty.

MBA/CFA - shudder - I deal with them everyday and at times that FedEx commercial is bang on. Like money? Big money is in project financing. However, have fun being a financial modeler or relationship manager for several years before you get to look, with averted eyes, at a CFO - let alone speak to them.

Bottom line, big picture - I wouldn't discourage you from higher education. It's the path I followed. But! It took a long time for it to pay off.

I agree that it will take a long time before the education pays off, I just want to get it over with before I get older and have have responsibilites. Its already hard enough trying to study after work for the CFA. I just don't want to wake up ten years down the road with just my undergrad degree.

Sadboy
08-15-2008, 11:12 AM
This is a basic summary CFA vs MBA I jacked:

Rigorous beating of concepts and formulation and more in-depth knowledge within the realm of finance/investment= CFA

More meaning with regards to broad knowledge but not in depth; door opener, network and career changer = Top notch MBA

Hakkola
08-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Tearin

Legal - one year of articling and bar admission hoops. Wanna make money - you're competing with everyone for a select number of positions in a tier 1 firm in the hopes of being held on as an associate. Think securities law (and no life) for the $.

Reading on the law forums I've found that in some places, people are being paid 70G/year for articling. You usually only do that for one year.

If you go to school in England it is about the same cost as here, but if you have a degree already you can get it done in 2 years, though the school year is a little longer than here.

This is the route I plan on taking.

bashir26
08-16-2008, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola

Reading on the law forums I've found that in some places, people are being paid 70G/year for articling. You usually only do that for one year.

If you go to school in England it is about the same cost as here, but if you have a degree already you can get it done in 2 years, though the school year is a little longer than here.

This is the route I plan on taking.

So if you go to school in England you don't have to pay international student fee's? What professional degree are you hoping to get?

I'm aiming to get my CFA by the time I'm 26

Hakkola
08-16-2008, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by bashir26

So if you go to school in England you don't have to pay international student fee's? What professional degree are you hoping to get?

I'm aiming to get my CFA by the time I'm 26

I don't have to pay them I don't believe, because I'm an EU citizen, but even with those fees AND room and board it isn't much more expensive than Calgary. Plus you shave off a year of study expenses.

Comm and Culture, minor in English. Only 8 courses left until graduation. :drool:

dreamcatcher
08-19-2008, 01:17 AM
You need to be extremely careful about where you take your law education. If it's not in the country you intend to practice in, then you're setting yourself up for an even longer route. And this makes sense: laws are applicable in some countries and not others, and the law school curricula depend on what country you're in.

Here's a really good thread about all of this:

http://www.llm-guide.com/board/43690