PDA

View Full Version : Bad News: Toyota Supra Revival = DEAD

Destinova403
08-15-2008, 09:44 AM
yay... more hybrids,

atleast the Subaru/Toyota coupe will be out soon

also, the FJ cruiser will be dropped from the lineup after its lifecycle

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/15/toyota-supra-is-doa-fj-cruiser-wont-be-refreshed-more-hybrids/

schocker
08-15-2008, 09:45 AM
that is bs though on the mpg requirements being the reason for dropping the supra. they have enough high mpg models to even out their model range for the requirements. maybe they will make a prius gts model or something to have a sport car until the coupe comes out.

arian_ma
08-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by schocker
maybe they will make a prius gts model or something to have a sport car until the coupe comes out.
:rofl: :rofl:
"Now with TWICE the number of batteries!

...also weighs 4 tons"

schocker
08-15-2008, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma

:rofl: :rofl:
"Now with TWICE the number of batteries!

...also weighs 4 tons"
with 20% more smug and even more glass.

rage2
08-15-2008, 09:59 AM
that is bs though on the mpg requirements being the reason for dropping the supra. they have enough high mpg models to even out their model range for the requirements. maybe they will make a prius gts model or something to have a sport car until the coupe comes out.
For the next few years, sure. There are really agressive targets set by the US govt for the next 10 years, so even if they do get a Supra out, it'll sell for 4 years before they have to dump it. Not worth the investment at this time.

Eleanor
08-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Stupid Al Gore :thumbsdow

Does toyota even make a sports car anymore? Oh yeah, the solora :rofl:

schocker
08-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by rage2

For the next few years, sure. There are really agressive targets set by the US govt for the next 10 years, so even if they do get a Supra out, it'll sell for 4 years before they have to dump it. Not worth the investment at this time.
But with a model range consisting largely of hybrids and small cars, should this not be an easy task for them compared to other manufacturers without the wide variety of hybrid and fuel sipping vehicles?

bituerbo
08-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor

Considering the popularity of the older corolla, I always though of the awd matrix XR as a sports car... 180hp awd "corolla" that's lightweight and handles quite well.

Destinova403
08-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by bituerbo

Considering the popularity of the older corolla, I always though of the awd matrix XR as a sports car... 180hp awd "corolla" that's lightweight and handles quite well.

they have the Subaru/Toyota RWD coupe comming out soon, so that isnt the issue, but they will have nothing at the level of the GTR or Corvette. IE: the Supra.

the concept was initially pegged to be put into production as the next supra. possibly sharing some components with the LF-A and slotting in below it in terms of price and performance.

but the project was killed.

toyota also shelved the FJ cruiser... apparently it wasnt selling, i however for one will not shed a tear for it, rather for what it should have been.

em2ab
08-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Ford also lost $8,500,000,000 in the last quarter and will be dropping a lot of their gas guzzlers as well as bringing over 6 new models from Europe.

rage2
08-15-2008, 10:33 AM
But with a model range consisting largely of hybrids and small cars, should this not be an easy task for them compared to other manufacturers without the wide variety of hybrid and fuel sipping vehicles?
The proposed CAFE average for 2020 is 35mpg. The only gas powered anything that comes close is the Yaris base hatchback at 34mpg. Current standard is 20 for trucks and 27 for cars. The 2020 35mpg standard is for the entire lineup.

You do the math.

schocker
08-15-2008, 10:40 AM
You do the math. ah. i had forgotten that trucks were being brought into the average for the newer requirements.

Eleanor

The proposed CAFE average for 2020 is 35mpg. The only gas powered anything that comes close is the Yaris base hatchback at 34mpg. Current standard is 20 for trucks and 27 for cars. The 2020 35mpg standard is for the entire lineup.

You do the math.

Are those number city, highway or combined?

Mr_ET

The matrix XRS was not AWD and to be honest the 1.8L engine felt very gutless until about 6000rpms.

The 180hp was later downgraded to 170 as it was overrated from the factory.

Decent car yes, sports car no :(

I have high hopes for this new joint venuture coupe but as an enthusiast I think we need to forget about Toyota for the time being.

Long gone are the days of the mr2 turbo, celica, supra and fun to drive sports cars.

A790
08-15-2008, 10:41 AM
When you think about it, a high horsepower coupe isn't really a wise choice for Toyota. As gas prices go up, demand for vehicles like that goes down.

Personally, I'd like to see the effort placed into a high-mpg car that's actually fun to drive. Something with electric motors that can provide some get-up-and-go when needed. Kind of like what the Eclipse Concept-E was.

badatusrnames
08-15-2008, 10:51 AM

:banghead: :rofl: :rofl:

They are "sporty" compacts... not even close to being a sports car.

And no, I don't mean because they don't have 500hp that they aren't sports cars...

Mr_ET
08-15-2008, 10:56 AM
I don't see anyone actually able to make a high mpg car that can accelerate good and be really fun to drive right while still getting great mpg now because the of technology currently available.

That eclipse concept never made it to real production and was bascially their v6 model with electric motor assist to the rear wheels when some type of "boost" button was pressed.

This was not constent and I am sure the car overall was not good on gas.

Redlyne_mr2
08-15-2008, 10:58 AM
No more Fj.. interesting..

TYMSMNY
08-15-2008, 11:11 AM

well.. Lexus and their ISF

hampstor
08-15-2008, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by A790
When you think about it, a high horsepower coupe isn't really a wise choice for Toyota. As gas prices go up, demand for vehicles like that goes down.

Personally, I'd like to see the effort placed into a high-mpg car that's actually fun to drive. Something with electric motors that can provide some get-up-and-go when needed. Kind of like what the Eclipse Concept-E was.

Demand for a car like the Supra would be fairly inelastic when compared to gas prices... those that will be able to afford it will not worry about gas prices (most of them will end up being a weekend/occasional car and not a daily driver anyway).

I do agree with you about the high mpg/fun to drive car. The price of gas is leading to innovations for performance vehicles in new areas.

I honestly don't see performance/large vehicles disappearing in the long run. They will return once another way for them to be more fuel efficient (with gasoline) is found :)

QuasarCav
08-15-2008, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by A790

We've had one since 1989. Lightweight, RWD and fun to drive. 35+ MPG is also capable with the 1.6L motor.

Too bad it's so gay.

A790
08-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by hampstor

Demand for a car like the Supra would be fairly inelastic when compared to gas prices... those that will be able to afford it will not worry about gas prices (most of them will end up being a weekend/occasional car and not a daily driver anyway).

I do agree with you about the high mpg/fun to drive car. The price of gas is leading to innovations for performance vehicles in new areas.

I honestly don't see performance/large vehicles disappearing in the long run. They will return once another way for them to be more fuel efficient (with gasoline) is found :)
I agree with you regarding the demand for the vehicle themselves, but since their lower MPG hurts the lineup as a whole it's hard to justify.

If you want a big block V8 with gobs of torque, get it now, because we aren't going to be seeing these kinds of cars for much longer :(

avow
08-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

We've had one since 1989. Lightweight, RWD and fun to drive. 35+ MPG is also capable with the 1.6L motor.

Too bad it's so gay.
the miata?

oh man, the supra news breaks my heart. and i thought the fj was pretty sweet. shame it didnt sell better.:(

Canmorite
08-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Stupid 35 mpg rule. How are sports car expected to pull that off? :rofl:

CivicTunr
08-15-2008, 01:39 PM
doesnt the diesel audi r8 have crazy hp, good accel, and good mileage?

avow
08-15-2008, 02:07 PM
"Featuring a twin-turbocharged 6-litre V12 diesel engine, the concept R8 produces 500bhp and a whopping 737 lb/ft of pulling power – eclipsing the V8 petrol-powered Audi R8 which produces 414bhp and 317 lb/ft."

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/car_page_content/spectacular_audi_r8_diesel_unveiled.html

Mr_ET
08-15-2008, 03:29 PM
I'm sure that's gonna be great on fuel...

three.eighteen.
08-15-2008, 05:56 PM
what are the fuel mileage stats for a car like the lotus elise? maybe that's where all manufacturers are going eventually...light weight, moderately powered sports cars?

b_t
08-15-2008, 06:01 PM
No big deal, it wasn't going to sell anyways

Eleanor
08-18-2008, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
well.. Lexus and their ISF
I said sports car, not super car ;)

kvanderlaag
08-18-2008, 10:43 AM
IS-F? Supercar?

No. A supercar is not a 'sport sedan' despite what BMW would like you to believe.

Also, no loss on the Supra. Honestly, we'll never see another straight six from Toyota again, and especially not in a RWD two-door platform, so whatever they had in mind, I'm not interested. Plus, unless they were planning on getting it back down under 3000 pounds, I'm not really interested in driving it.

Bring on the Toyotaru Celipreza.

TYMSMNY
08-18-2008, 10:46 AM

I said sports car, not super car ;)

If an ISF is a supercar... what do you classify a Konig CXX as? Super duper? :D

Destinova403
08-18-2008, 11:06 AM
maybe she was thinking of the LF-A?

heavyD
08-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Was it ever alive?

962 kid
08-18-2008, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Destinova403

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

x.staygold.x
08-26-2008, 04:37 PM
I wish they would have seen this car through...too bad.

Eleanor
08-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Destinova403
Yes, I was, sorry.

Originally posted by 962 kid
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:rofl: