PDA

View Full Version : SLOW as molassas on a cold day...

83cutlassdude
08-08-2002, 11:22 PM
okay,
the 83 olds cutlass i drive has about piss poor accleration 0-60 in about 30 seconds... and it runs very badddlly.. we know the carb is fubar... anyone give me suggestions on what to do to improve accel and HP? (aside from getting a new car. that aint an option)

THanks!

jaylo
08-08-2002, 11:26 PM
how about a good tune up, it might help

83cutlassdude
08-08-2002, 11:34 PM
it just had one. and that made it run worse

OMOYYC
08-08-2002, 11:51 PM
I got it! Drop in a new engine! :p

83cutlassdude
08-09-2002, 12:55 AM
the engine has already been rebuilt in the last 5 or so years (i forgot its my moms car but i get to drive it anytime and it just doesnt run up to my standards). a friend of mine says i should check the spark plugs and such... which i agree on... and he mentioned something about the catalytic converter... which was removed about 7 months ago. My dad says that the carb needs to be replaced. the car in general just runs rough as a gravel road and something in the electrical system is screwed since the charge light comes on and stays on (not everytime but at least 3 times aweek)until you give the engine a quick revv or two. and the tach doesnt work. It was disconnected becasue they said it was what was making the car die when it wasnt.

so this could be a number of many things making it run horridly. any advise??

Dope Dealer
08-09-2002, 01:01 AM
Ouch. That car definitely needs to be eighty-sixed. Doesn't sound to healthy at all.

83cutlassdude
08-09-2002, 01:15 AM
i'ts nothing that cant be fixed! and kicked and poked and prodded... least i have never had to be towed!!!

i really want to get this car in really good order as i want mom to give it to me eventually (they may be getting a new car in the next year so i want my damn own car!!!)

so anyone know what kinda carb needs to go on an 83 olds cutlass supreme brahm? all know is quadrajet and that its a V6... i can call my grampa (former owner) and ask him the specifics if need be...

much help appreciated!