PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know much about BC insurance?

97'Scort
08-15-2008, 11:51 PM
I'll start off by saying ICBC is a fucking joke. I was paying $1000/yr back home with Meloche Monnex on the BMW, and that included my sound system and mods. Here, I'm up to $1500/year, NO MODS covered, sound system not covered. Plus, they won't let me insure the car for a dollar amount I want, they insure it at their value, which is about $8000.

I have collision, comprehensive, and $1 mil liability, same as I did at home, but that extra $500/year on a student budget buys a lot of groceries.

I've heard some people say that I can get just the basic ICBC coverage (no collision, no comprehensive and $200k liability) and then get another company to cover the rest, but I can't seem to confirm it. Can anyone fill me in?

On another note, apparently half the people in BC drive around with only the basic plan, as stated above. Does anyone else find that a little retarded?

Ashers
08-16-2008, 03:54 AM
I used to get my insurance from a place in Mill Bay, next to the Tim Hortons. I believe that they would do autoplan and the extra addons. I always drove around on 2mil liability, no comp or collision. That cost me about 800 a year for a 88 CRX.

Supa Dexta
08-16-2008, 09:55 AM
holy fuk.. Most 88 crx's are only worth 800$ what a rip...

S4maniac
08-16-2008, 10:14 AM
Yes, its true and the most cost effective thing to do. Get the minimum basic coverage with ICBC and then top it up with third party coverage. The two providers I know of in BC are ING and whoever Coast Capital is writing for.

You should save about 10% from the ICBC bill.

revelations
08-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Thats pretty typical of ICBC. They insure EVERYONE so EVERYONE who is a good driver gets some of the hit from "the stupid".

My dad had third party coverage on his cheap ass car and they screwed around so he wont be going through anyone else.

The Cosworth
08-16-2008, 11:34 AM
You have to have 10 years clean driving before you can get private extra insurance in BC

97'Scort
08-16-2008, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by The Cosworth
You have to have 10 years clean driving before you can get private extra insurance in BC

Damn, really? That sucks. I'm still going to check it out anyways just to be sure. Thanks guys!

S4maniac
08-17-2008, 12:01 AM
Do check into the 10 year clean requirement. I had heard the same thing for my motorbike, but a coworker got his license and then was immediately offered 3rd party for his bike.

I see you're an Oilers fan ... just an FYI that Montana's in Tillicum shows all the NHL Channel games. Good to know after getting sick of watching the Canucks continually shit the bed.

97'Scort
08-17-2008, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by S4maniac
Do check into the 10 year clean requirement. I had heard the same thing for my motorbike, but a coworker got his license and then was immediately offered 3rd party for his bike.

I see you're an Oilers fan ... just an FYI that Montana's in Tillicum shows all the NHL Channel games. Good to know after getting sick of watching the Canucks continually shit the bed.

Haha thanks man! I'd have to find another Oil fan to go with though :)

5G_celica
08-19-2008, 11:08 AM
I think a lot of the private companies cater to the road star crowd (8+ years without an accident)

also make sure you gett he correct coverage (ei presure use, to and from work/school < 15km, or to and from work/school > 15 kms) cause I've had friends get screwed over by that. they do investigate it thoroughly.

be happy you're not in vancouver. rates there are a lot higher. and you have to deal with that aircare bs.

good luck..

ps how's camosun.... cake walk eh? :D

97'Scort
08-19-2008, 12:25 PM
The engineering bridge is not a cake-walk at all. Too much math, too little time.

5G_celica
08-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
The engineering bridge is not a cake-walk at all. Too much math, too little time.

oh yeah, you might not remember, I'm from the bimmer forum, I went through the bridge 2 years ago. worse 6 months of my life