PDA

View Full Version : Shopping in the US; how often do you guys go and what do you get?

tyler_durden
08-17-2008, 10:11 AM
I'm just curious if anyone here likes to shop across the border? Did you end up saving money compared to getting a deal here in our homeland?

C4S
08-17-2008, 11:02 AM
For shopping ..

US ... 3 - 4 times a yr ..

Asia .. 2 times a yr ..

It is not much of a diff if u shop in US after duty/tax etc .. however, custom usually dont charge you duty/tax when you drive across the boarder .. :D

mekeni
08-17-2008, 11:05 AM
It depends what you are looking for.

Usually you tend to save huge on big ticket items (ie. set of tires, bed-in-a-bags, lcd tv etc)

JAYMEZ
08-17-2008, 11:31 AM
I go a couple times a year.. Might not always save , but I find alot more variety and choices to choose from.. Calgary is so limited! But jeans in the US are so cheap compared to cowtown.

TYMSMNY
08-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by C4S
For shopping ..

US ... 3 - 4 times a yr ..

Asia .. 2 times a yr ..

It is not much of a diff if u shop in US after duty/tax etc .. however, custom usually dont charge you duty/tax when you drive across the boarder .. :D

sounds about right!! everything is so much cheaper down there.. even with our weaker currency.

Dumbass17
08-17-2008, 10:00 PM
you guys ever buy clothes there?
i need alot of new clothes lol

Euro838
08-18-2008, 09:03 AM
I find the places where you will save and get a lot of variety are the premium outlet malls but the closest one to Calgary is probably Seattle. Unless you bought a lot clothes, you wouldn't end up that much further ahead on a cost vs savings comparison.

I find that unless you buy from Amazon, the prices of electronics from retailers is usually not worth it to have to deal with warranty issues or worry about transporting it home.

As others have mentioned, it's more about variety and a reason to go on a mini-vacation.

ppatko
08-18-2008, 09:53 AM
I go 1 or 2 times a year, usualy camping trip. If your there for more than 72 hours then you can bring back up to $400 worth per person without paying extra at the border.

Last time I went it was to the Spokane area and it was brutally hot down there (just before Canada Day)

We spent a lot of time in malls. Spent 200 bucks on clothes, (the wife bought like 500 worth).

on the way back to Canada bought some cheap cheap liquor (half the price for sure)

98type_r
08-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Probably 3-4 times a year, sometimes the prices aren't that much better but you will always end up saving some money. It's the selection that makes it worthwhile. I've seen things in outlet stores in the states for cheap and a few months later here in Calgary those are just being released at our stores.

MilanoRedTeg
08-18-2008, 10:32 AM
I'm hittin up Vegas labour day weekend so hoping to find some good deals on clothes there should be some good sales at the outlet malls I'm thinking but I have never been so don't know much to expect price wise