PDA

View Full Version : What can I do?

Random-Dave
08-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Hey I was wondering if someone could help me out. My old car recently got totalled in an accident and so I was forced to get a new car. I decided to go a bit cheaper and get a car from my granny (who doesn't drive anymore), Its a Cutlass Calais S. So I got a bit of money to play around with this car if I want. Its decent performance with a 3.3L, sport suspension, fatter tires, and a couple of the options here and there (but not lots). Its been easy driven, and its only got 120,000km/75,000 miles. I have always loved cars, but had spent most of my life in sports so I don't know as much as I wished. So I was wondering what could/should I do to the car to turn it into something that isn't a granny car? I prefer the american muscle over the rice-rocket look but anything really is an improvement b/c its one of the boringest looking cars.

- should I through a kit, mags and a coat of paint on?

- And what can I do for performance: I doubt I could chip it or can I (its an 89). And turbo it or supercharge it?

- Any suggestions on upgrading the sound (b/c if you turn it up so you can hear it when the windows are down its goes fuzzy)

-AND THE BIGGEST THING, how much work is it to switch an auto to a 5 speed? Is it just cutting a hole for the clutch, and shifter and switching the linkage? or is there so much more, and how much work is that really?

Any feedback is appreciated even if you say that I should just keep the car the way it is. Thanks

Boat
08-17-2008, 07:32 PM
this is a joke? :dunno:

badatusrnames
08-17-2008, 07:37 PM
So you say your motivations were to go a bit cheaper; why bother making a crappy car mediocre?

I've never understood the psychology of taking a $5000 car, putting another $4000 of "mods" into it and having an ok car built on a crappy platform.

Sell the Cutlass (fine car... but still) and spring for an all around better car with the money you were planning to use for your forced induction, sound system, tranny swap, etc - you'll be much happier.

Toms-SC
08-17-2008, 09:01 PM
Sell it

Supa Dexta
08-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Don't sell it, don't do anything. Keep it the way it is, keep it reliable, give girls drives, and take them on dates.. That is THEE best advice you will get. Just keep it clean and keep it running right... Save your money for either school or a better car down the road, and I guarantee this will work out the best for you.

jdmSiR
08-17-2008, 09:34 PM
i agree with both tom and supa :rofl:

Driven Sideways
08-17-2008, 11:59 PM
Well... First if you were planning to do something unique or unusual for the car but make it work you have my full support and input.

My thoughts would be... Cool car but from what I know (correct me if I am wrong) the Cutlass lacks an after market well market...

Yes a Turbo or Supercharge can really get that car going... But it can cost an average of $4,000 +... Personally with that kind of money I'd rather put the energy into something worth it. Not saying the Cutlass is not worth it. I get the same about my daily driver Civic all the time. However if you are really willing to make that car something else your options are really quite limitless. Regardless what people may say it really comes down to your wallet and your imagination.

ShermanEF9
08-18-2008, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Driven Sideways
Well... First if you were planning to do something unique or unusual for the car but make it work you have my full support and input.

My thoughts would be... Cool car but from what I know (correct me if I am wrong) the Cutlass lacks an after market well market...

Yes a Turbo or Supercharge can really get that car going... But it can cost an average of $4,000 +... Personally with that kind of money I'd rather put the energy into something worth it. Not saying the Cutlass is not worth it. I get the same about my daily driver Civic all the time. However if you are really willing to make that car something else your options are really quite limitless. Regardless what people may say it really comes down to your wallet and your imagination.
yes but civics are still cool... i promise.
honestly i would get something worth it, but if you want to play with this and make something unique, by all means go for it.

Driven Sideways
08-18-2008, 12:55 AM
Oh no Don't get me wrong I <3 my honda... Its just mine happned to be a PoS when I got it so me and Mr. Honda have a rusty relationship pun intended. But seriously thats what I like about Civics. There is much room for creativity. Do forget about posts with "Is this a joke". Your car is only what you make it rusted or not. People have thier narrow minded opinions. But honestly if everyone drove a Nissan we wouldnt have the sweet diverse car market we have now.

Personally I wanna see the 10 second Cutlass >.< A car as is only as good as its driver and I must say a Cutlass sir has the kick in the gut if you are willing to put forth the effort.

Random-Dave
08-18-2008, 05:58 PM
Yeah thanks for they input back. Not all of what I was hoping but I appreciate the honestly. But about what you (Driven Sideways) said about the limit on after market, well it is limited but their is stuff out their. I found a body kit to fit it http://www.bodykits.com/249/250/540/8244/Oldsmobile-Calais-Body-Kits-orderby0-p-1-c-8244.html you can always find rim's and rubber that will work, tinting the windows helps, theirs always the scoops, taking out the side reflectors (they aren't mandatory are they?), and giving it a 2 colour paint job can really change the look of a car from what I have seen, from the starksy and hutch look, to the racing stripes to having the top half one colour, the other another. My problem is that I lack creativity and vision, and I am not willing to put in 10,000 or anything into a cheaper car. And also since no1 commented on the transmission question I am assuming it was a stupid question and a whole lot of work.

One thing though I never have understood is how people get so down about one car, yet they like their base/economy cars so much when they got 1/2 the engine. Not saying that thats wrong, I just don't understand it. Anyways thanks again

Driven Sideways
08-18-2008, 10:57 PM
You found a kit? That is bad ass! Mabye I am wrong. You may say you lack vision but you already seem to have something of a spark imo.

I know a little of the reason some people get stuck on one car. Most of the time people just get a little obsessive and some people are like me. I like my Civic but honest to god if I wasnt stuck with it I would of been driving something else a long time ago. Im just working with what I got. But when you do a little. Then a little more and a little more. It gets kind of contagious. Just create a narrow minded vison and go with it! Honestly some of the coolest cars Ive seen around came from junkyards. Youd probably start feeling better about the car if you started tearring it apart a little and taking care of anything in need of tending. I hated every car Ive ever owned until I got personal with it, By fixing it up or driving it into a ravine. As far as half the engine. Im in a little of a rut like that. But I really sometimes care little about how fast I am going when everyone realizes I burning out and stunting a rusted peice of shit. Sometimes you just need a little "Razzle Dazzle"! I laugh when I see some of the cars in the neighborhood. Real sweet looking well mainted cars on a stock engine. Auctually it doenst bother me... Until that asshole decides his fancy, overdone and often useless body kit, spolier, Cut springs and "Dubs" for some reason gives him the excuse to harass people with real purpouse built cars. Hell there are even car shows with events solely decided by creative style rather than all out perfomance.

Only real real decision you should settle on first is. Keep the Cutlass well.. classic. Or go out on a limb and make it who you are. xD

OP_SIHOTA
08-20-2008, 11:46 AM
The 3.3L V6 in the Cutlass is a decent engine, there are performance components for that family.. but I wouldn't bother.

If you like the muscle car look, don't kit the car.. the muscle car guys will laugh at you. The muscle car tire/wheel thing will not work for you, your car is fwd... leave that alone. If you want decent wheels, get some that are used and can be resold, don't put money into the thing.
I'd stick with a stereo upgrade first, as your stereo sucks...

Wanta go a lil faster? Try a wet kit... that 3.3L can handle a decent shot if nitrous, and you can always take the kit, put it on your next car, or sell it when you're done. Nitrous will get you into the 240hp range, that's all you'll need.

Auto to standard swap? With your limited knowledge/budget on this vehicle, is a no go...

Mr_ET
08-20-2008, 03:06 PM
I'm with Supa on this one please do not listen to anyone else in here and please don't buy a body kit for it....

Oh you're in BC, do whatever you want man:thumbsup:

Kloubek
08-20-2008, 03:13 PM
Just remember - any aftermarket money you put into this will be 100% lost when you finally sell the car. Maybe better to wait till you have a car that responds well to mods and is worth modding?

MintRacer
08-20-2008, 03:22 PM
no one will buy a cutlass modded to shit... mods will actually de value the car even more.

-TOFU-
08-20-2008, 03:38 PM
:thumbsdow Potato Rocket :thumbsdow

Random-Dave
08-20-2008, 05:52 PM
Just to clear up, b/c some people seem to have me misread. IF I decided to add little by little and trick out the car a bit I definately would not be selling it, so I couldn't care less about taking down the value, thats no issue. I just figured that it was a car that performed a lot better then the stock economy cars that a lot of people mod. I also got a car that has been easy driven, body is in decent condition, a car with fat tires, sport suspension and a 3.3L in the smallest oldsmobile offered that year. Its not the best looker car I understand but between kits, mags, custom paint jobs and probably tons of other things you can change the look drastically anyways. I was just wondering if some people with some more knowledge and ideas/creativity would let me know what I could do to improve the cars looks and performance. After that look at the price and THEN decide if its worth it. But really I do appreciate all the feedback both negative and positive, but potential ideas of whats good or bad in my opinion atleast would be the best place to start off. Thanks again though

And how much do those wet kits start for nitrous?

Supa Dexta
08-20-2008, 06:13 PM
I want you to come back to this thread in 2 maybe even 5 yrs, and talk to me.

ThanhRice
08-20-2008, 07:42 PM
SR20 that shit

Mr_ET
08-20-2008, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Random-Dave
Just to clear up, b/c some people seem to have me misread. IF I decided to add little by little and trick out the car a bit I definately would not be selling it, so I couldn't care less about taking down the value, thats no issue. I just figured that it was a car that performed a lot better then the stock economy cars that a lot of people mod. I also got a car that has been easy driven, body is in decent condition, a car with fat tires, sport suspension and a 3.3L in the smallest oldsmobile offered that year. Its not the best looker car I understand but between kits, mags, custom paint jobs and probably tons of other things you can change the look drastically anyways. I was just wondering if some people with some more knowledge and ideas/creativity would let me know what I could do to improve the cars looks and performance. After that look at the price and THEN decide if its worth it. But really I do appreciate all the feedback both negative and positive, but potential ideas of whats good or bad in my opinion atleast would be the best place to start off. Thanks again though

And how much do those wet kits start for nitrous?

No matter what you think the words sport suspension and oldsmobile do not go together.

In fact I am sure my stock Fit could beat it in the twisties...

Seriously man we have modded cars before and everyone is telling you this is not the car to start on, choose a better plateform and keep this stock for cruising around and be comfy.

:closed:

OP_SIHOTA
08-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Wet kits will cost you 400 to 600 bucks, depending on what kit and where you get it. That's the only performance upgrade I'd do to the car.
Unfortunetly, the 3.3L engine came in the post G-body era. If you had a G-body you'd have some potential.
Stick with the stereo, and cruise around. If you wanta do all that work; paint, body kit, etc etc, you're gona spend thousands and thousands of dollars and have very little to show for it.