PDA

View Full Version : Ironman

r3cc0s
08-18-2008, 02:01 PM
In the last few months, I've been getting back into cycling and running.

It's been a good summer for that, as the days are relatively cool and dry.

Mixed in with some light lifting and circuit training with soccer I'm starting that consider that I should attempt if this is the year to check of: "complete a Ironman" off of my bucket list

A friend of mine competes at the Kelowna one annually and perhaps, just perhaps I should enroll, giving me that year long "key date" to aim for.

As a swimmer, I think I'm relatively proficient and can do about 4K, alright. However a 80K ride and full marathon and that's a different story.

Anyone here ever give it a go?

The closest event that I've done was just a half marathon, and I definitely need to work on my Aerobic conditioning as my An-aerobic is usually what I work more often.

jdmXSI
08-18-2008, 02:09 PM
Next year they are going to have a Ironman 70.3 here in Calgary. I think its a 1.9kms swim in the ghost damn lake, 90 kms bike ride to Glenmore resovoir and the the 19 kms run to finish her off. I might even be in for giving that a shot. lol. As for the full Ironman, i heard its just a grueling race.

cet
08-18-2008, 02:09 PM
A full ironman is a 180KM ride.

I have a friend that has done an Ironman in Nice and the Kelowna one. He convinced me to do the 1/2 Ironman in Calgary with him next year.

I need to start training

reno97637
08-18-2008, 10:27 PM
My goal is to be in the Ironman before I hit 35. I run and bike no prob but because of my shoulder injury from way back, swimming will give me a hard ass time.

98type_r
08-19-2008, 09:32 AM
I also have friends trying to talk me into signing up for the Calgary event. Of course one of them has done a full ironman a few times so it's easy for him. My problem is I can't really swim that well and I would need a LOT of work in that dept. I'm really tempted to sign up just so i can say I've done it though.

r3cc0s, a 90km bike ride isn't as hard as it sounds. Generally people have more difficulty with the swim or the run in triathlons. Also, it'll only be a half marathon for Calgary, not a full.

Anybody think rage would be up for sponsoring a Beyond triathlon team? :D

Khyron
08-20-2008, 11:17 PM
I've done a few Olympics this year and just registered for Ironman France for next June. It's totally over my head, but fuck it I don't care.

Ironman Canada sells out in hours and you MUST be there in person. So you have to either drive out there or fly and then drive from Kelowna, line up at 11pm or so, and camp out in line until the next morning when they sell entries. I believe it's this Monday so you kinda need to decide immediately.

I'd recommend the Calgary half-iron as it's local with online signup. There's a bunch of other half-irons around as well (Sylvan lake and the great white north).

You need a good wetsuit and a decent road bike - the rest isn't a big deal.

jdmXSI
01-14-2014, 05:55 PM
I know its a 6 year old bump... However I didnt see the need for a new thread.

I am seriously debating doing the calgary 70.3 this year and from anyone who has completed one, is 6 months enough time to train or am I WAY over my head? lol

I am in ok shape (definitely not in triatalon standards by any means) and know this is a huge task but I am looking for a challange, perhaps this is it.

Khyron
01-15-2014, 10:44 AM
If you can swim, yes. It's 80 lengths non-stop with some body contact - open water is harder than pool.

You also need a decent road or triathlon bike and a wetsuit (you can rent). It's in a local lake rather than Ghost this year which is fantastic.

GreyFox
01-17-2014, 02:32 PM
6 months is fine so long as you know how to swim, like Khyron said. My first ever triathlon was the Calgary 70.3 3 or 4 years ago. Trained for maybe 6 months and completely incorrectly. I did ALL my swimming in a pool (first open water swim was 2k in ghost lake - big mistake haha) and I didn't have a proper bike at the time so I did all my biking either on a stationary at the gym or on my youth mountain bike.

I rented a wetsuit and a road bike for the day and went out and did it. I made it and completed it (which was my only goal, so I was satisfied) but it was really tough. It's not always fun when you think there is a very serious chance you could drown during the swim.

So in short, yes 6 months is probably fine assuming you don't half-ass train like I did. The more effort you put into your training, the more fun you'll likely have on the day of.

CLiVE
01-17-2014, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
It's in a local lake rather than Ghost this year which is fantastic.

In Auburn Bay this year. Yes you could do it, but I highly suggest you sign up for a sprint (UofC, or Mt. Royal, Joe's Team) or another race before you step up to the 1/2. If not, only to figure out transition and possible get some open water swimming experience.

Alternatively consider the Challenge Penticton Half in August. Will give you a bit more prep time.

I'm a very good swimmer - yet panicked on my first race, (got kicked in the head, went the wrong way, thought I was going to drown). Wasn't fun.

Could start a training club if anyone is up for it.

batool100
01-20-2014, 04:11 AM
it's a definite 9 out of 10. not 8 not 10 but 9. but yeah, iron man is edgy enough and appealing enough for anyone to watch. it's one of those movies that hits right down the middle. like V for VENDETTA.