PDA

View Full Version : amplifying speakers, how to wire?

Grogador
08-18-2008, 03:37 PM
I've got a 4ch amp and will be installing new 6x9's in the rear and 5.xx" speakers in the front doors. I've never amplified front speakers so I'm wondering how people usually wire this up.

Right now I have two RCA channels (front/rear) running to the trunk, with the rear set as "subout" going to the amp+sub (front RCA's are unused). So should I just use the passthrough on the other amp for the rear speaker channel, and the seperate front RCA's to the front channel? The sub amp has a x-over but I would lose my subwoofer level control... Should I just use the high-level input from my rear speakers for the rear channel on the amp, to retain the sub level control?

Then I have to run friggin speaker wire from the trunk to the front doors?? Jumper it behind the deck, or just feed the speaker wires straight into the door?? Other options would be stuffing the 4ch under the seat, but that probably wouldn't help the wiring much.

Thanks for your input :thumbsup:

Mibz
08-18-2008, 05:18 PM
The 4ch amp should have the ability to take signal from the 1/2 channel RCAs and duplicate it to the 3/4 channels. It should be a switch labeled "1/2 - 3/4 - 12/34" or something like that.

Run the front RCAs to the 4ch and then set that switch to 1/2. Run speaker wire from the 4ch to all speakers and you'll be fine. If you don't like the idea of running new wire to your front speakers then my only advice is to not do it.

Grogador
08-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Think I'm gonna keep it as rear/subout RCA, then front RCA, then rear hi-level from the stock lines in the trunk. That way I can keep my fade/balance/sub level :D