PDA

View Full Version : Anyone work for shaw?

punky
08-18-2008, 04:24 PM
I'm getting an interview with them on wednesday for an engineering intern position. Just looking to see what kind of employer they are, work environment, benefits...etc
If you have any experience with them! please sharE!

Diesel2005
08-19-2008, 08:43 AM
engineering postion at shaw?

what are you exactly doing? I didn't know shaw hires engineers.

Grogador
08-19-2008, 09:25 AM
I worked in the field at Shaw for three years and have a few friends in various departments there. The benefits are good (medical, drugs, dental, vision, STD, LTD, $500/yr for special services like chiro, psych, whatever) and there's room to move up. They're pretty good for a larger company, all about their "family business" mentality, Visions/Values and Shaw University etc. however eventually you'll see that it's mostly talk; they just want to ride you as hard as possible for as little pay as possible. New hires will get paid more and you'll get your 2.5% per year if you're lucky. JR will bore you to death with his book and blather. Getting ahead isn't easy when people are too paranoid of their positions to share any knowledge with you. YMMV, it would be a great place for an internship. Yes, they hire Engineers, mostly for network, telecom, electrical, software...

Recca168
08-19-2008, 10:46 AM
That sounds about right. One catch with the internship is that you won't get any of the medical benefits

SilverGS
08-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Yeah I have been warned about the "Shaw family Mentality" they have there. Not saying you shouldn't go for a job there but I have heard the work environment there is not the greatest.

punky
08-19-2008, 11:11 PM
electrical intern is the position they are interviewing me for.

I'll see how it goes tommorrow.

anarchy
08-20-2008, 01:23 AM
I think it's a great company to work for, lots of good benefits, and strong work atmosphere. The employees are typically great and a nice casual environment.

But the downside is, as already mentioned, the pay isn't the highest compared other companies. But its hard to compete with Oil and Gas.

mazdavirgin
08-20-2008, 01:32 AM
They shaft interns pretty hard... They sign you up as a contractor and pay you by the hour. That means your salary is dependent on how many days you work in a month. Additionally they don't give you any paid vacations or *any* benefits whatsoever. For full time positions raises and bonuses are a joke.

punky
08-20-2008, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin
They shaft interns pretty hard... They sign you up as a contractor and pay you by the hour. That means your salary is dependent on how many days you work in a month. Additionally they don't give you any paid vacations or *any* benefits whatsoever. For full time positions raises and bonuses are a joke.

Wow that's kinda harsh, i'll definitely check them up on that.

Grogador
08-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by punky
Wow that's kinda harsh, i'll definitely check them up on that.

Pretty standard, why would they hire you fulltime for an internship, which is basically a fixed-length contract?

realazy
08-20-2008, 10:15 AM
Well most of the companies hire interns as full time but still temporary employees. No benefits, but you still get paid salary. That's how it works with most other interns that I know.

Grogador
08-20-2008, 10:33 AM
o i c... well there you go, another example of Shaw's "family business" :D

Recca168
08-20-2008, 11:56 AM
its basically salary. Technically you're on an hourly rate but your timesheet will always be 40 hours or whatever it is. But yeah that seems like how it is everywhere, there are a couple that give some benefits.

punky
08-20-2008, 07:37 PM
Oh if that's the case then its not really any difference from other intern places. Advantage being shaw is a pretty big company, so i'll probally have room to move around if i don't like what i'm doing. The interview there was great, and the people seem really nice.