PDA

View Full Version : Evolution VIII or IX?

tkirby
08-19-2008, 02:44 AM
Hey Beyonders,

I was wondering if any of you have had the pleasure of driving an Evo VIII or IX. I am thinking about buying one and seeing as how this is one of the biggest automotive enthusiast forums on the net, hopefully you guys have some input as to basically how it drives and handles as a performance and daily driver, as well as the difference between the VIII and the IX. I've driven an 07 WRX STi is that helps familiarize the driving experience of the car.

Any input is greatly appreciated, or even if you could point me in the right direction for some Evo info.

Thanks! :)

heavyD
08-19-2008, 07:27 AM
I drove a VIII MR in Salt Lake City but since the owner was with me I couldn't really push it but was a treat as handling was top notch once you get used to the steering as it drives like no other car as even the WRX STI isn't as sharp. The IX is the better car due to the following improvements;

-MIVEC
-Better Turbocharger
-Revised ECU
-ACD (Active Center Differential)
-Stronger 5-speed transmission
-Revised looks (could be a plus or minus depending on your preferences)

Bottom line is that the IX has more potential and the MIVEC helps reduce turbo lag.

Eleanor
08-19-2008, 08:06 AM
Is tunability a big issue for you?

AFAIK the VIII's have more options right now for engine management due to the IX's MIVEC system.

Other than that though, I think the IX is the way to go, if you can afford it.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/

JRSC00LUDE
08-19-2008, 10:16 AM
toasier on here has a IX MR, it hauls some serious ass and is a blast to go driving in. Think his best time so far is a 12.4 this season.

tkirby
08-19-2008, 12:09 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. As of right now I'm not looking towards tuning it yet, as I would like to keep it as much of a daily driver as I could. But when that time comes hopefully I'll have read enough info and gotten enough expertise as to not mess up the car :D I'm also assuming the reliability and maintenance of the car follows a simliar principle as the WRX STi? The STi is pretty much my comparison chart, as a friend of mine said maintenance and gas isn't too costly (if you don't drive like a maniac!)

Thanks again!:D

BrknFngrs
08-19-2008, 12:19 PM
If the Evo 8 and 9 are anything like the Evo X, don't expect it to be very good on gas (at least compared to other more typical "daily driver" vehicles")

QuasarCav
08-19-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by tkirby
Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. As of right now I'm not looking towards tuning it yet, as I would like to keep it as much of a daily driver as I could. But when that time comes hopefully I'll have read enough info and gotten enough expertise as to not mess up the car :D I'm also assuming the reliability and maintenance of the car follows a simliar principle as the WRX STi? The STi is pretty much my comparison chart, as a friend of mine said maintenance and gas isn't too costly (if you don't drive like a maniac!)

Thanks again!:D

I use words like rediculous and insane to describe fuel economy in my WRX, I can't imagine an STi.

Maintenence is also going to cost more than your average sedan but you have to pay (a lot) to play.

DannyO
08-19-2008, 01:43 PM
I'm pretty sure the fuel usage is close to the same for these types of cars, and my STI just chuggs fuel back, but people don't exactly buy cars like this for high MPG ratings. :D

A790
08-19-2008, 02:34 PM
I'd get the IX personally. A better looking car all around, but I guess it depends on what your taste is. Are you going to mod the car to hell and back?

tkirby
08-19-2008, 07:50 PM
Haha yah my hopes aren't too high for how well the Evo runs on gas, I'm kind of already use to it as I'm in debt for the gas my G35 eats! But yah I personally love the look of the IX, and it sounds like the IX takes the cake in comparison to the VIII. Once I'm all finished with my schooling I plan to mod it, but seeing as how I'll be taking the train and busing to school, it will be my little taste of heaven on the weekends:D
I'll be looking more into evolution.net forums (thanks Eleanor) and hopefully getting some useful modding information. But before I get down and dirty with the engine I'd like to get some exterior mods like the JDM rear bumper as well as a lip and sideskirts:drool:
If all does not fair well I might just end up getting an 07 WRX STi, but hopefully I can get my first love. Haha and yeah it's too true, you have to pay to play (but not as much as you'd have to pay for a Lambo! :D)

Thank you all for your useful input, and hopefully I'll be seeing ya'll at some Beyond meets and cruises!

Casa
08-19-2008, 10:44 PM
Evo IX

DannyO
08-19-2008, 11:33 PM
Be sure to post up pics of what you get, I'd recommend the 9 as well, there great cars.

EvolutionI
08-20-2008, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
If the Evo 8 and 9 are anything like the Evo X, don't expect it to be very good on gas (at least compared to other more typical "daily driver" vehicles")

I'm lucky if I get 400 km to a 45L tank in my evo I. AWD + Turbo sucks gas like no other it seems.

95EagleAWD
08-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by EvolutionI

I'm lucky if I get 400 km to a 45L tank in my evo I. AWD + Turbo sucks gas like no other it seems.

The 4G63 from 1992 is pretty different from the one made in 2006.

tkirby
08-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by DannyO
Be sure to post up pics of what you get, I'd recommend the 9 as well, there great cars.

I will post pics for sure:D
Hopefully all goes well, but if not then the STi is next in line, seeing as how it's the Evo's biggest competitor and more easily accessible.
I'll also post some gas mileage for you guys;)

tawheed
08-20-2008, 10:37 PM
i drove my VIII home just yesterday.. got 500kms to the tank on the highway when i was lucky

95EagleAWD
08-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Nothing wrong with that.

heavyD
08-21-2008, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by tawheed
i drove my VIII home just yesterday.. got 500kms to the tank on the highway when i was lucky

That's pretty good epecially if it's a 5-speed or is it an MR?

tawheed
08-21-2008, 10:17 PM
5 speed GSR.. i was actually impressed with mileage vs my gc wrx..

tkirby
08-21-2008, 11:32 PM
5 speed GSR.. i was actually impressed with mileage vs my gc wrx..

How do you think the 5 speed compares to the MR? Or if you've never driven the MR how do you like the 5 speed?

tawheed
08-22-2008, 12:17 PM

How do you think the 5 speed compares to the MR? Or if you've never driven the MR how do you like the 5 speed?

the 5 speed seems pretty good.. i took it by road race engineering when i was in cali and they seem to prefer the 5 speed..

so far so good..

heavyD
08-22-2008, 12:25 PM

the 5 speed seems pretty good.. i took it by road race engineering when i was in cali and they seem to prefer the 5 speed..

so far so good..

The 5-speed can handle more power than the MR 6-speed.

tawheed
08-22-2008, 09:55 PM
cool - mine's pretty stock though.. simple bolt ons.. not even exhaust / intake..

tkirby
08-24-2008, 03:15 AM

so far so good..

Nice. Any suggestions as to what to look for when buying an Evo?

tawheed
08-24-2008, 11:34 AM

Nice. Any suggestions as to what to look for when buying an Evo?

My big thing was the smallest amount of mods as possible. Seems normal for clutch to be gone by about 35k miles