PDA

View Full Version : Custom Mandrel Exhaust

WALKER
08-19-2008, 11:07 AM
So I want to get a custom 3" mandrel bent exhaust system made up and I am wondering if any one can recommend a place in Calgary that has a mandrel bender and has high quality welds and good work.

Thanks.

03ozwhip
08-19-2008, 11:22 AM
i got a custom 2.5" true dual exhaust set up on my Monte a few months ago, and it cost me 300 with their supplied mufflers. it sounds friggin amazing. i cant remmeber the shop name right now, but its on about 56 ave sw and around 2nd or 3rd st. you go down 58 ave west and its the last right before you turn onto mcleod tr. then your first right again. its beside a corvette shop. very good guys and prices there. i got quoted 7-800 for the same thing from another place. FYI, unless you have a turbo, you might not want to go more than 2.5" on the celica. it will fuck up the back pressure and youll possibly lose power.

WALKER
08-19-2008, 11:25 AM
My plan is to go with a 3" exhaust and Borla XR-1 muffler. This will be going on a turbo so back pressure problem won't be a concern.

Joe-G
08-19-2008, 11:37 AM
Ive read that a guy on here it pretty good at welding and can custom make stuff as well. I think his account name is Janson Lange and works for epic welding.

Trini
08-19-2008, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Joe-G
Ive read that a guy on here it pretty good at welding and can custom make stuff as well. I think his account name is Janson Lange and works for epic welding.

yup he posted here
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/224468/new-exhaust-system/

g-m
08-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
i got a custom 2.5" true dual exhaust set up on my Monte a few months ago, and it cost me 300 with their supplied mufflers. it sounds friggin amazing. i cant remmeber the shop name right now, but its on about 56 ave sw and around 2nd or 3rd st. you go down 58 ave west and its the last right before you turn onto mcleod tr. then your first right again. its beside a corvette shop. very good guys and prices there. i got quoted 7-800 for the same thing from another place. FYI, unless you have a turbo, you might not want to go more than 2.5" on the celica. it will fuck up the back pressure and youll possibly lose power. Thats a myth, engines don't need backpressure to operate. Why do you think high performance headers have individual tubes for each cylinder?
The problem with using a giant exhaust on a celica is that the engine doesn't generate ENOUGH gas to properly utilize the 3" pipe. The pipe then acts as a heat sink and slows down the exhaust gas through contraction and energy loss. Therefore the engine can't get rid of the exhaust gas as quickly, and this would yield less volumetric flow. Less flow = engine restriction.

Read this
http://www.warnertechnology.com/Cars/backpressure.shtml

Also a 3" exhaust on a celica is ridiculous and I'll have to laugh at you if I see you

KAOS2K6
08-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by g-m

Also a 3" exhaust on a celica is ridiculous and I'll have to laugh at you if I see you [/B]

So... you obviously missed the part about the TURBO application eh?

Revhard
08-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Muffler shops are not usually known for high quality welds.
I am not of the opinion that ugly welds are not strong, but guys who take pride can usuallyappreciate the fact that it's not hard to make a strong weld look nice.
TIG welding is the only way to go for high quality welds, and there are a few places that can pull it off. Jason is one, I do mild steel,stainless and aluminum exhausts with TIG welding also.
I would have to agree that 3" seems big for a 1.8L, but adding forced induction will increase the volume of gases according to boost.

The cost for a good custom exhaust will usually be about the same or more as a quality off-the-shelf set-up, with the benefits being fitment and ability to have it the way you want.
There are pictures floating around this site of my work, you can look at that as an option if you like.

There is no good reason not to have an aluminum exhaust, it's lighter, so it puts less stress on the turbo set-up, it resists corrosion, and it is slightly cheaper than stainless.
My rsx has aluminum exhaust, and I melted the dyno hose without harming the exhaust. Dyno operator had never seen his hose melt, not even with big trucks with lots of boost.

Just my .02

WALKER
08-19-2008, 01:31 PM
Thanks for all your comments and advice.

If you look on celica/mr2 forums there are many people with 3" exhausts. My downpipe is full 3" mandrel bent so I want to match that up so there are no restrictions.

My engine size is 2.2L and not 1.8L.

03ozwhip
08-19-2008, 01:31 PM
^^^with that being said, from what ive seen at the muffler shop i got mine done at. i dont agree with you on this. i was there the entire time that he was welding my exhaust and also picked my own route and how i wanted it run while it was on t he hoist. the welds are some of the best welds i have ever seen. this guy that did it is absolutely amazing at what he does. however, i dont know about other shops, but in my experience, this guy is the shit.

KAOS2K6
08-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Revhard

I would have to agree that 3" seems big for a 1.8L, but adding forced induction will increase the volume of gases according to boost.

I agree with this statement as well, but for a turbo-charged 5SFE (2.2L) - 3" is the desired size for the piping.

Revhard
08-19-2008, 01:50 PM
For a 2.2L that sounds just fine.
As for the muffler shops, I'm not aware of any that use TIG besides Jason and myself.
I agree that custom is better for fitment and routing as I stated.
Off the shelf is what I was referring to.:thumbsup:

KAOS2K6
08-19-2008, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Revhard
For a 2.2L that sounds just fine.
As for the muffler shops, I'm not aware of any that use TIG besides Jason and myself.
I agree that custom is better for fitment and routing as I stated.
Off the shelf is what I was referring to.:thumbsup:

Can you do mandrel as well? I'm looking for a set up for my Celica (just 2.5" though, because I'm not blown... :P)

Mr_ET
08-19-2008, 02:49 PM
It may be 2.2L but doesn't it only push 130hp stock? With the turbo it will be fine but until then expect to lose a bunch of low end power.

WALKER
08-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
It may be 2.2L but doesn't it only push 130hp stock? With the turbo it will be fine but until then expect to lose a bunch of low end power.

Stock it is 135hp/145tq, and yes I agree that it will lose a lot of power if it isn't turbo.

g-m
08-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by KAOS2K6

So... you obviously missed the part about the TURBO application eh? Yea I did

Jason Lange
08-19-2008, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Joe-G

I own it but whatever.:D

Originally posted by KAOS2K6

Can you do mandrel as well? I'm looking for a set up for my Celica (just 2.5" though, because I'm not blown... :P)

Chris and I use mandrel bends pretty much exclusively.

Revhard
08-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Jason Lange

I own it but whatever.:D

Chris and I use mandrel bends pretty much exclusively.

:thumbsup:

mrsinful1
08-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
^^^with that being said, from what ive seen at the muffler shop i got mine done at. i dont agree with you on this. i was there the entire time that he was welding my exhaust and also picked my own route and how i wanted it run while it was on t he hoist. the welds are some of the best welds i have ever seen. this guy that did it is absolutely amazing at what he does. however, i dont know about other shops, but in my experience, this guy is the shit.

the muffler shop you are thinking of is called carline.. and yes the guys there are great they did my entire exhaust for 800. thats header all the way back.and even re-welded my faulty header three times for nothing. just shitty he isnt open saturdays

Jason Lange
08-23-2008, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by mrsinful1

the muffler shop you are thinking of is called carline.. and yes the guys there are great they did my entire exhaust for 800. thats header all the way back.and even re-welded my faulty header three times for nothing. just shitty he isnt open saturdays

Carline gets the job done, however they don't use mandrel bends and don't tig weld anything.

ibtintn
06-10-2009, 12:22 AM
Did the car come with the down pipe or did you add it? If you added it how was the differance? Also when you get your exaust done let me know how it performs, I am also looking at new turbo back exaust system.

YamahaV8
06-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by g-m
Thats a myth, engines don't need backpressure to operate. Why do you think high performance headers have individual tubes for each cylinder?
The problem with using a giant exhaust on a celica is that the engine doesn't generate ENOUGH gas to properly utilize the 3" pipe. The pipe then acts as a heat sink and slows down the exhaust gas through contraction and energy loss. Therefore the engine can't get rid of the exhaust gas as quickly, and this would yield less volumetric flow. Less flow = engine restriction.

Read this
http://www.warnertechnology.com/Cars/backpressure.shtml

Also a 3" exhaust on a celica is ridiculous and I'll have to laugh at you if I see you

You are kinda contradicting yourself from the link you posted. It is the gas expanding in a large pipe that slows it down not contraction. The most important thing is finding the perfect size that gives you maximum exhaust velocity without excesive back pressure. If you can keep the exhaust moving even after the exhaust valve closes then it will create a low pressure zone right outside the valve so that the next time it opens it literally sucks the exhaust out of the cylinder maximizing your exhaust scavenging capabilities. Headers just increase this scavenging effect by keeping the cylinder's exhaust pulses seperate long enough for one cycle of the engine. Just like intake maifold runners, longer or shorter header tubes create maximum power at different rpms.