PDA

View Full Version : Pissed off by the appraiser

ibuddler
08-19-2008, 01:49 PM
After reviewing all the suggestions, I called the insurance. They said they would do some investigation and today they called me and said the reason they wouldn't cover it is my headlight is totally worn out... I took the picture and you will see if it's true... What should I do now?

https://webdisk.ucalgary.ca/~zshan/space/Photo/Picture003.jpg

Originally posted by ibuddler on 08-19-2008 01:49 PM
I was hit by a cab long time ago and the right front was damaged (fender, signal light and bumper). So my car was sent to repair last friday. My bodyshop told me the side of my headlight was cracked but it works fine and the signal light can be properly hooked up with. I asked since it's cracked anyway I need a replace. So they talked to the appraiser but the appraiser wouldn't consider a replace. I called him and he said the headlight was yellowed and that crack won't affect anything at all and lots of bullshit. So basically that's the story and it drives me mad now.

What should I do next since the bodyshop asked me to pick up my car this afternoon?

schocker
08-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Call your insurance and let them deal with it?
They should be replacing all parts that are broken, a crack is essentially broken...

dj_rice
08-19-2008, 02:00 PM
If you dont agree with the appraisers evaluation, you can ask for another appraisers evaluation....

ibuddler
08-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
If you dont agree with the appraisers evaluation, you can ask for another appraisers evaluation....

Can I still do it since my car is got fixed now.

Senseiz
08-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Yes, you should be able to bring it back as many times as required until fixed.

Keep on chasing after it. It should be returned to good condition.

ibuddler
08-19-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Senseiz
Yes, you should be able to bring it back as many times as required until fixed.

Keep on chasing after it. It should be returned to good condition.

Thanks and I'm gonna keep calling that guy everyday until he proves it.

Jayson
08-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Was the headlight cracked before the accident? Or was it cracked because of the accident?

If you told the appraiser that it was already cracked, then there's no way he's going to approve a replacement...

dj_rice
08-19-2008, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Jayson
Was the headlight cracked before the accident? Or was it cracked because of the accident?

If you told the appraiser that it was already cracked, then there's no way he's going to approve a replacement...

Yes, cause appraisers can determine if your headlight was caused FROM the accident or before the accident so if your trying to get everything replaced and blame it on the accident then ur SOL

dj_rice
08-19-2008, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by ibuddler

Can I still do it since my car is got fixed now.

Your supposed to dispute your claim BEFORE u get it fixed....since u already agreed to the appraiser evaluation and got it fixed...I dont think theres anything you can do now...

ibuddler
08-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

Your supposed to dispute your claim BEFORE u get it fixed....since u already agreed to the appraiser evaluation and got it fixed...I dont think theres anything you can do now...

Yes, it is because of the accident.

My bodyshop told me that the headlight might be cracked but they couldn't tell untill they put off the signal light and the bumper. And they told me if there's a damage they would ask appraiser to do the adjustment. So I sent my car to fix with them and now the appraiser seems not willing to accept the fact.

colinxx235
08-19-2008, 02:36 PM
sounds sketchy sundays in here...

ralliart_girl
08-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Did you give the go ahead for the shop to repair the headlight? cause if not, then they should not have proceed with the repairs until the appraiser ok'd it.

If it is clearly due to the accident, i don't see why the appraiser won't approve it. Cause supplement appraisals are issued all the time.

Jayson
08-19-2008, 02:50 PM

Yes, it is because of the accident.

My bodyshop told me that the headlight might be cracked but they couldn't tell untill they put off the signal light and the bumper. And they told me if there's a damage they would ask appraiser to do the adjustment. So I sent my car to fix with them and now the appraiser seems not willing to accept the fact.

In that case, call your insurance company rather than deal with the appraiser...

ibuddler
08-19-2008, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by ralliart_girl
Did you give the go ahead for the shop to repair the headlight? cause if not, then they should not have proceed with the repairs until the appraiser ok'd it.

If it is clearly due to the accident, i don't see why the appraiser won't approve it. Cause supplement appraisals are issued all the time.

Yeah they said they only could tell it's damaged or not once they repaired the car and they called the appraiser but the appraiser said the crack can't be seen from outside and won't affect anything at all. That's the reason he refused the bodyshop to change one for me.

ralliart_girl
08-19-2008, 03:50 PM

Yeah they said they only could tell it's damaged or not once they repaired the car and they called the appraiser but the appraiser said the crack can't be seen from outside and won't affect anything at all. That's the reason he refused the bodyshop to change one for me.

I think your next step is to deal with your adjuster or supervisor, as everyone else has suggusted as well. Cause if it was damaged because of the accident, which it appears the appraiser is agreeing...then I think it is fair to say that it should be repaired.

Just call the insurance company, be nice, and just explan to them what happened. And let them know, you just trying to get what is fair.

puya.ro
08-19-2008, 04:28 PM
be sure you dont lie to the insurance about what damages were before and after the accident. for every false claim, you could get fined $25,000

ibuddler
08-19-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by ralliart_girl

I think your next step is to deal with your adjuster or supervisor, as everyone else has suggusted as well. Cause if it was damaged because of the accident, which it appears the appraiser is agreeing...then I think it is fair to say that it should be repaired.

Just call the insurance company, be nice, and just explan to them what happened. And let them know, you just trying to get what is fair. Thank you for your suggestion. I'm gonna call them tmr.

ibuddler
08-27-2008, 04:07 PM
Picture updated. sorry if it's too big...

Weapon_R
08-27-2008, 04:21 PM
There is an independent ombudsman for insurance complaints that you can also contact. I was denied a repair for over a year on one of my older cars. When I contacted the ombudsman, I was immediately booked in and had all the repairs fixed.

http://www.ibc.ca/en/consumer_protection/Alberta.asp