PDA

View Full Version : Fighting High Insurance

Mckenzie
09-08-2003, 07:06 AM
I am sick of these swines. I am sure everyone elese has a story or two where they or another person they know have been screwed over by the insurance company and are being charged outrageous premiums to insure a vehicle.

Does anyone know who the best person to write letters too (MP, MLA) is? Also, this little government investigation they are doing......is this just a song and dance for the voters to rub them the right way into thinking insurance will actually go down?

I am choked and really need to work into my budget now the $405/ month they want for my car (after quoting $297) for full coverage..... I am in the letter writing mood.....

Maybe we could get an online petition going too....:dunno:

ZMan2k2
09-08-2003, 08:10 AM
I'm thinking that you're local MLA would be the person to write too. As for the gov't investigation, it's a joke. The majority of the people that are involved are CEO's, head lawyers and other stuffed shirts from the insurance companies.:rolleyes: Yeah, these guys are gonna admit, "Yes, we've had the driving public of Alberta bent over a table for years." More likely they're gonna come up with some bunch of BS as to why they need to raise premiums even a little more.

If you want proof, I just traded in a 2002 Civic for a 2003 Cavalier, both sedans. As I was investigating insurance premiums on alot of cars, I found that the insurance would go up $300/year on the j-body, but it would have gone up $1100 a year for me in the Civic. :eek: I asked why, and it's because alot of young people hop up Civics and crash them, therefore making them a more expensive car to insure. I'm a 27-year-old male with 11 years of driving experience and a clean record for the past 6 years. And that's after shopping around with numerous insurance companies. The worst was the Civic going up $2700 a year:banghead: Gawd, I can't wait, two more years and my wife will have enough insurance experience that we can get covered under a group policy from where I work, and it'll go down like 40%.

So all-in-all, insurance companies are a bunch of fudge-packing dill-holes who like nothing more than to rape the road going public by going in through the ass and out through the wallet.

BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!

ZorroAMG
09-08-2003, 09:47 AM
Yeah, buddy you'll just have to wait until you are 25....I was paying 4300/year on my Grand Cherokee for limited liability and now I pay 2300/year full coverage on the Benz....just give it time and stay clean if you can't fight it....

rage2
09-08-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by ZMan2k2
If you want proof, I just traded in a 2002 Civic for a 2003 Cavalier, both sedans. As I was investigating insurance premiums on alot of cars, I found that the insurance would go up $300/year on the j-body, but it would have gone up $1100 a year for me in the Civic. :eek: I asked why, and it's because alot of young people hop up Civics and crash them, therefore making them a more expensive car to insure. I'm a 27-year-old male with 11 years of driving experience and a clean record for the past 6 years. And that's after shopping around with numerous insurance companies. The worst was the Civic going up $2700 a year:banghead: Gawd, I can't wait, two more years and my wife will have enough insurance experience that we can get covered under a group policy from where I work, and it'll go down like 40%.
All I have to say is, you're definately shopping in the wrong places. I'm 28, clean record, 1 not at fault accident (got rear ended while stopped) and I pay $300/year for my Civic and just under $1000/year for my AMG.

Anyhow, if there's going to be any change, it'll be crappy for all the 25+ year old drivers. They want to start a system where it's similar to BC, everyone starts fresh. Get in 1 accident, and you're screwed. A lot of these new drivers will buy insurance for cheap, then smack a car, and not buy insurance. So the insurance guys will never make the money back from this individual, which means the old folks like me will get a nice hefty raise in premiums to make that back.

This is what happened in BC when they put ICBC in charge of insurance. All the new drivers got affordable insurance, and the 25-45 year olds got doubled to make up for it :).

Honestly, if you see how a lot of these 16 year olds drive (including myself when I was 16), they should not be seeing drops in insurance. I do believe 25 years old before cheap insurance is a bit high though.

Oh, and even us old guys got crazy rates back in the day. When I was 18, I was paying $7000/year for PLPD insurance on the 944 turbo, and $3000/year for PLPD on my Acura Integra. I did have a few tickets though hehe.

Millsie
09-08-2003, 10:15 AM
The biggest problem is that there is no limit in alberta on tort law and soft injury claims...essentially we are doing it to owrselves as everyone who gets into an accident claims whiplash and sues for damages...insurance companies have to pay those. Albeit if I were in an accident I'd probably sue just to get back some insurance money...nasty cycle. Thast probably how they are going to lower insurance rates...they'll put limits on damage lawsuits..especially soft tissue injuries. I'm waiting and hoping, as I'd love collision on my car, but cannot afford it as it stands eright now.

Z_Fan
09-08-2003, 10:27 AM
I used to pay $4,800 a year to drive a Twin Turbo Z I used to own. That was when I was 22, single, etc. I had a friend who drove a MR2 with a BAD driving record. $6,500.00 a year! His parents paid it...nice!

Now I'm ... er ... OLD, Married and insure 4 vehicles, the 3 listed to the left AND a '02 Cavalier for LESS money than my old Z.

I can remember exactly how this happened too. I was driving down Glenmore Trail, pretty late at night...I was 24 years old, and was in my Silver Twin Turbo, doing about 220 Km/H. Then, suddenly I had the urge to slow down. I wasn't sure why. I slowed down, and haven't ever broken the speed limit since! It was my Birthday ... and that's why I remember ...

Yup, you guesed it, I turned 25. It's just like magic! The INSTANT you turn 25, you drive slower, more responsibly AND your insurance goes down!

OK OK OK ... this is all true, except the parts about having never broken the speed limit since, driving slower and more responsibly. Just last week I 'might' have had my 350z doing 251Km/H on a public road... hmmm, or maybe not!

The real difference in my opinion about older drivers with fast cars, and young drivers with ANYTHING that moves forward... it's that the young driver WILL race in and out of traffic to impress friends. WILL race just about anything else that moves forward. WILL go as fast as the car can get going on Deerfoot, even if traffic is light, etc. And worst of all, actually thinks his hopped up 15.7 second civic is FAST! The last problem, most young drivers think they are better drivers than the car.

A more experienced driver (based on ME) WILL NOT race anything on a city street just. Period! MIGHT race a trusted and skilled friend, if no one else is on the road in front. WAITS patiently for the right Ferrari, Viper, etc, to pull up along side and actually WANT to race. (Again, must be VERY safe environment, ie, road outside city, or no one around, etc). Races 99% of the time ON THE TRACK, etc. Doesn't race all things that go forward, just to prove the car is 'fast'. Lastly, a more experienced driver will KNOW if the car is fast, and know how much trouble can be found with the speed. The older driver knows (depending on car) that the car is probably better than they are!

However, I must admit I agree with younger drivers being charged MORE to drive faster cars. In general, the lack of driving experience IS a problem when a situation arises that an older driver may be able to avoid. Also, it's more likely that a raging maniac 17 year old loses control of his car, and kills himself. (Or someone else). The problem is simply not all young drivers are idiots and go racing around like morons in their little civics. There are plenty of decent kids, driving safely, obeying the rules and keeping out of trouble. It's these ones I feel sorry for...because they get lumped in the the goofballs causing the problems...and WORSE is they get treated that way by the cops!

It'd be nice if Insurance worked the other way. Give the new drivers a break. Let them be judged by their records, not their age. If they mess up ONE time, make the premium increased based upon the severity of the charge and/or results of the accident. Keep dreaming.

rage2
09-08-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Z_Fan
It'd be nice if Insurance worked the other way. Give the new drivers a break. Let them be judged by their records, not their age. If they mess up ONE time, make the premium increased based upon the severity of the charge and/or results of the accident. Keep dreaming.
This is what will happen eventually in Alberta, just like in BC. Once it happens, the costs of the "goofballs" will be passed onto everyone, new drivers and old drivers, thus resulting in a break for the new drivers.

ZMan2k2
09-08-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by rage2

All I have to say is, you're definately shopping in the wrong places. I'm 28, clean record, 1 not at fault accident (got rear ended while stopped) and I pay $300/year for my Civic and just under $1000/year for my AMG.

Well, yeah, for me, insurance on a new car is $1200 a year full coverage 2Mill liability and $250 deduct. but it's my wife that's the big charge. She has only had her license for a year now, (don't worry guys, she doesn't drive much) and because of the coverage and whatnot, she adds, $2600 a year to my insurance. Oh well, if she needs the car one day, and I'm asleep after working graveyards, she can take the baby to the doctor or whatever, and I won't have to be a taxi driver anymore. So I just gotta be patient, and eventually I'll get a break too.

max_boost
09-08-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by rage2

This is what will happen eventually in Alberta, just like in BC. Once it happens, the costs of the "goofballs" will be passed onto everyone, new drivers and old drivers, thus resulting in a break for the new drivers. So what will that accomplish? Nothing?

Just screw the under 25 crowd! haha

rage2
09-08-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
So what will that accomplish? Nothing?

Just screw the under 25 crowd! haha
It'll accomplish affordable insurance for new drivers :).

Better buy that C32 before you can't afford insurance! :rofl:

pinoyhero
09-08-2003, 06:41 PM
I am 23 and pay less that 2G for full coverage on my '02 TLS. What I did was call around and get a ton of quotes. When you get these quotes, ask how long they are good for and get your reference number ect. After being quoted and calling back they tried to change the price on me. I noted that they already gave me and price and they ended up sticking to the price quote they had on record. Don't let them get away with changing shit on you.

DUBBED
09-08-2003, 07:09 PM
how long do accidents/tickets stay on your record?

is your record cleared automatically at any age?

rockfu
09-08-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
I am 23 and pay less that 2G for full coverage on my '02 TLS. What I did was call around and get a ton of quotes. When you get these quotes, ask how long they are good for and get your reference number ect. After being quoted and calling back they tried to change the price on me. I noted that they already gave me and price and they ended up sticking to the price quote they had on record. Don't let them get away with changing shit on you.

tickets stay on 2 years in regardes to demerits.

insurance companies will ask if you've had accidents or within the last 5 years, as that is all they can rate you on anyway.

DUBBED
09-08-2003, 07:20 PM
i should be good again in a couple years then...

DAMN IT ALL TO HELL UNTIL THEN THOUGH!!

Speed_Dreams
09-08-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by rockfu

insurance companies will ask if you've had accidents or within the last 5 years, as that is all they can rate you on anyway.

tickets are Three years. Trust me i would be paying one hell ofa lot less for insurance if they were only 2....i had a period of about 3 months and I got three tickets. (young and dumb and drove fast...but safely)

04blackMAX
09-08-2003, 08:42 PM
hey i have an idea guys, stop driving like idiots and getting caught!!.....insurance is cheap, and its only high for a reason

pinoyhero
09-08-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by rockfu

Not true, they rate you on a number of factors, these are just a few:

Marital Status
Vehicle
Driving History (time)
Insured History (time)

Hash_man
09-08-2003, 10:17 PM
Ya, I guess I am lucky. We phoned around, and I am going to be paying $2600 A year on my 89 Accord with 2 mill liability. And I am only 16 (17 in just over a month.)
And I have yet to take the defensive driving course included in my drivers ed.

The one thing that I was surprised of, is that I was able to work as a parts driver this summer. I mean, I am only 16... but drove about 8000kms this summer, and in my opinion that should make my insurance go down. But what do I know.

lammer
09-08-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Hash_man
Ya, I guess I am lucky. We phoned around, and I am going to be paying $2600 A year on my 89 Accord with 2 mill liability. And I am only 16 (17 in just over a month.)
And I have yet to take the defensive driving course included in my drivers ed.

The one thing that I was surprised of, is that I was able to work as a parts driver this summer. I mean, I am only 16... but drove about 8000kms this summer, and in my opinion that should make my insurance go down. But what do I know.

i dont think driving 8000km in 2 months will make it go down haha. if anything it should be more expensive cause your always on the road.

Hash_man
09-08-2003, 10:34 PM
i dont think driving 8000km in 2 months will make it go down haha. if anything it should be more expensive cause your always on the road.

Hmm, never thought of that... but it makes total sense.

lammer
09-08-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Hash_man

Hmm, never thought of that... but it makes total sense.

im only assuming that because i always check www.kanetix.com for insurance quotes and they ask for how many KMS you drive in a year so yea.

88CRX
09-08-2003, 11:02 PM
insurance companies can shove it.

i have been driving for 3 years. i have a perfect record. no ticket, accidents, claims, nothing and i still pay $200/month for plpd :guns: they can all go to hell

steriotypes :thumbsdow

rice_eater
09-08-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Mckenzie
I am sick of these swines. I am sure everyone elese has a story or two where they or another person they know have been screwed over by the insurance company and are being charged outrageous premiums to insure a vehicle.

Does anyone know who the best person to write letters too (MP, MLA) is? Also, this little government investigation they are doing......is this just a song and dance for the voters to rub them the right way into thinking insurance will actually go down?

I am choked and really need to work into my budget now the $405/ month they want for my car (after quoting $297) for full coverage..... I am in the letter writing mood.....

Maybe we could get an online petition going too....:dunno:

Man you are shopping in the wrong places...you know my record...4 tickets in three years. I pay $60 more than you and you have a clean record and are one year older than me. And let's not forget i have FULL coverage for that money while i;m pretty sure you only have colision!!! YOu really need a new insurance company :thumbsdow

Ben
09-09-2003, 12:26 AM
Well rates went up big time this year thats for sure.

Mine are reasonable in my opinion.

I pay $2145/yr (up 200 exactly from last year) for PLPD 1mill liability, 250 comp, and sent in an appraisal form to cover the upgrades to my car so that if I get ripped off I get the value of my car with the goodies and not the blackbook welfare cheque they would write. I have 2 minor tickets (one of which I got this year and would reflect on my premium). This is on a GTI, one of the higher premium vehicles to insure.

To people from other provinces it seems like alot, but for people in this province, I think I got it good...

04blackMAX
09-09-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX
insurance companies can shove it.

i have been driving for 3 years. i have a perfect record. no ticket, accidents, claims, nothing and i still pay $200/month for plpd :guns: they can all go to hell

steriotypes :thumbsdow

hahhahaha wow a whole 3 years

Akagi Redsuns
09-09-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by 04blackMAX

hahhahaha wow a whole 3 years

lol, it all depends on how old you are I guess. If I was 19, 3 years driving experience was a big deal...now that I'm an old geezer, 3 years is nothing.