PDA

View Full Version : Need advice - selling Canadian car, transporting from USA with no insurance/reg

googe
08-20-2008, 02:43 PM
Wondering if anyone can help me with this, I've made things a bit complicated.

I have a valid alberta drivers license.
My car has BC insurance and registration, which expires on friday, aug 22.
It was previously registered/insured in AB.
My home, and the car, is in California.
I'm selling it to an Alberta resident on Sunday the 24th, 2 days after the registration expires. To do this, I have to drive the car to BC and meet them on Saturday/Sunday, which is 2 days after the insurance and registration expire.

Who do I get insurance from?
Who do I get a temporary registration/transit permit from to deliver the car?

Leaving friday isn't an option.

From what I know so far...
I can't insure/register the car in BC because I have an alberta drivers license.
I can't get an in-transit permit from AB, because they are only valid within Canada.

FWIW, I do have an alberta address that I could use for residency. I don't have a BC one though...so ICBC wont deal with me.

Note: Im not "importing" the car. It's a Canadian car that was bought in Alberta and used in Alberta and BC. It's just "visitng" California right now.

So, if anyone can point out something I might be missing, or some way to make it work, that would be much appreciated.

revelations
08-20-2008, 02:46 PM
1 - transport the car on a trailer
2- have buyer deal with importing issues

googe
08-20-2008, 02:51 PM
Next... :rolleyes:

5G_celica
08-20-2008, 03:11 PM
how did you get insurance and registration from icbc without a bc drivers licence?

I would suggest getting insurance from a private company here and get a temporary registration from a registry here.

or you can sign the car over to the new owner, get him to get insurance and the temporary registry. the temporary registry is because the car needs to get an oop inspection.

were you or the buyer gonna transport the car?

schocker
08-20-2008, 03:22 PM
Get the buyer to set up the temp insurance and just throw on an american plate:dunno:

googe
08-20-2008, 03:25 PM
I got it in BC because I had just moved there, and hadn't had to switch my license over yet. At that time it was ok, because I said I just moved and was planning to do the switch shortly and had 30 days, which was true...I just never got around to swapping it, and ended up moving again.

I couldn't say the same thing now though, because if I registered it a year ago and no longer have a BC address, I can't exactly lie and say that I just moved back.

I am transporting the car from California to BC, meeting the buyer, who will be driving it home from BC to AB. He's arranged for his own insurance/transit. The bill of sale will be done where we meet in BC.

I can't sign it over to him before I bring it, because then when I cross the border, it will make things 100 times more painful and confusing when I have to try and explain why I'm driving a car that I don't own.

I'm reading a bit more, and I think I might be able to get a transit permit to cover registration for bringing it up through the states, and I'll have to get a Canadian transit permit from AB to cover it while it's in Canada (even though it'll only be in my possession for a few hours...maybe I don't need to), and temporary insurance from AB to cover it both in Canada and the US.

dannie
08-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Since you are originating in CA, here is the best bet.

1. Get insurance from an Insurance co there. Geico, progressive etc.

2. Go into the DMV and obtain temporary permit.

(Give the new buyer a heads up, tell them to get insurance on the vehicle and an intransit permit from Alberta registries. For registries he will need a copy of the bill of sale, insurance, drivers licence and which border crossing they are meeting at)

3. Drive the vehicle to the border

4. Hand over the vehicle to the new guy and the rest is up to him.

Was the vehicle registered in the U.S. at all or does it still have B.C plates?

You are driving it in Canada? You arent meeting him at the border??

schocker
08-20-2008, 03:29 PM
You dont necessairly need a permit from the DMV, you can go with no plates. But for the alberta in transit you would likely need the title also, and they are not supposed to be used outside of alberta. they are really dumb.

googe
08-20-2008, 03:42 PM
Well, I'm meeting him at the border yeah, I just meant I'd be driving it in Canada for the short time to get to where he is...but I'll have him come right to the border so that should be fine.

The car was never registered in the US, or exported from Canada. I drove it down here for moving and am bringing it back now, because I don't wanna import it. That's what I mean by the car is "visiting".

How can I go with no plates back to Canada?

I'm pretty sure I'd be fine with a day old plate, but if I do get stopped, a cop in a bad mood could really ruin my week, so I don't want to chance it.

I have no idea where the title is and I don't think I've ever seen it. I was under the impression that people just sign over the bill of sale and titles aren't really used.

schocker
08-20-2008, 03:46 PM
sorry, i am dumb and forgot it was a canadian car so dont worry about the title.
no plates is usually fine in the states just make up a paper for your window that says in transit. I went no plates bringing up my vehicle through many states. Then I drove around for awhile here with no plates eventually getting a couple in transit passes which are only supposed to be used for taking to get the car serviced as was explained to me, and can only be used in alberta.

googe
08-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Ok, scratch that, I can't get a transit permit from California because they only issue them for vehicles purchased in the last 30 days.

schocker
08-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by googe
Ok, scratch that, I can't get a transit permit from California because they only issue them for vehicles purchased in the last 30 days. i wouldnt bother anyways. they dont give much of a hassle. make toll roads a breeze and the only dumb people are the ones at the duty free who think it is a cardinal sin to drive without a plate.

dannie
08-20-2008, 04:13 PM
If you are driving through Oregon, you can get a trip permit there......

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/vehicle/tpltveh.shtml

and you are right, just sign over the bill of sale. You won't have a title to give the guy

revelations
08-20-2008, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by googe
Next... :rolleyes:

Wasnt trying to be funny, thats how I've seen things like this taken care of.

5G_celica
08-21-2008, 09:14 AM
do you have family or a good friend in bc? sign it over to them as a gift (to avoid pst) and have them put a 1 week registration/insurance on it. then he can express the temp plates to you.

or you can get a 1 week insurance your self under territory Z (all of canada) this one doesn't require an address. I did this when I travelling a lot and had no perminent address. they may not allow it if you don't have a bc licence, but you can ask.

good luck.