PDA

View Full Version : Ron MacLean's mom - RIP

Doozer
08-20-2008, 09:58 PM
Did anyone else see Ron MacLean's announcement tonight?

I was just watching the women's volleyball, and Ron MacLean announced (completely professionally, as always) that some other personalities will be taking over his duties for the rest of the Olympics, as his mother just passed away about 2hrs ago from pancreatic cancer, and he would be leaving to attend to some of the details.

He just barely looked like he was going to lose it once, but it was hard to notice. Only Ron could go on the air within 2 hrs of his mother's death and be poignant, yet professional.

My condolences to him and his family in this time, and RIP to Mrs MacLean.

nightfx
08-21-2008, 12:26 AM
Yeah, very professional to complete his segment.

RIP

Gondi Stylez
08-21-2008, 12:30 AM
Missed that but RIP :(

anarchy
08-21-2008, 01:06 AM
:werd:
I saw it. It was almost hard to believe what was coming out of his mouth because of his composure. It was like he was just reporting another news story. Put it on mute and you'd have no idea he was discussing the death of his mother.

This guy is the definition of class act.

Condolences to the MacLean family.

heavyD
08-21-2008, 07:54 AM
RIP

I can't stand Ron MacLean but I wouldn't wish that on anyone especially being across the world and not being able to be at her side.

2002civic
08-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by heavyD
RIP

I can't stand Ron MacLean but I wouldn't wish that on anyone especially being across the world and not being able to be at her side.

What's wrong with Ron Maclean?

RIP

Ajay
08-21-2008, 10:31 AM
That's pretty rough for Ron Maclean but he's always been a classy guy.

I can't say I would be that composed if I found out my mother passed away two hours prior.

RIP

b_t
08-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by 2002civic

RIP

I think he's pretty badass, being able to stand being the straight man to Don Cherry's act. But he's always too serious. He could lighten up a little every now and then.

RIP

D'z Nutz
08-21-2008, 10:51 AM
tdGQlayM_Ok

Besides the hockey itself, Ron's the only thing I like on CBC now that the HNIC song's moved to TSN.

Melinda
08-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Wow. Class act indeed. What a fantastic way to give a shout out to all of the people who have helped your mom and family too, way to go, Ron. RIP to his mother and condolances to his family.

heavyD
08-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by 2002civic

RIP

Alot of you may be too young to know but in the early 80's Ron Maclean used to do intermissions for Flames broadcasts on channel 2&7. He was great (so good that CBC thought enough to bring him into HNIC) at what he did but all the HNIC success clearly has gone to his head and he's degenerated on HNIC broadcasts to a bully and primadonna Leafs fan (Leafs this, Sundin that). He's the classic case of 'success going to your head' and got sucked into the whole center of the universe thing.

I still sympathize with what he's going through right now and the manner he handled the situation was pretty classy.

dezmarez
08-21-2008, 12:32 PM

Alot of you may be too young to know but in the early 80's Ron Maclean used to do intermissions for Flames broadcasts on channel 2&7. He was great (so good that CBC thought enough to bring him into HNIC) at what he did but all the HNIC success clearly has gone to his head and he's degenerated on HNIC broadcasts to a bully and primadonna Leafs fan (Leafs this, Sundin that). He's the classic case of 'success going to your head' and got sucked into the whole center of the universe thing.

I still sympathize with what he's going through right now and the manner he handled the situation was pretty classy.

what are you talking about??

Ron Maclean is the classiest fuck in the league.

Doozer
08-21-2008, 12:38 PM
all the HNIC success clearly has gone to his head and he's degenerated on HNIC broadcasts to a bully and primadonna Leafs fan (Leafs this, Sundin that). He's the classic case of 'success going to your head' and got sucked into the whole center of the universe thing.
Ah, I think I see the problem. You're getting Ron MacLean confused with Don Cherry.

heavyD
08-21-2008, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Doozer
Ah, I think I see the problem. You're getting Ron MacLean confused with Don Cherry.

Nope. Don Cherry's always been Don Cherry. The Ron MacLean you see now isn't the same as the Ron MacLean I used to see.

Micho
08-22-2008, 01:32 AM
He was great (so good that CBC thought enough to bring him into HNIC) at what he did but all the HNIC success clearly has gone to his head and he's degenerated on HNIC broadcasts to a bully and primadonna Leafs fan (Leafs this, Sundin that). He's the classic case of 'success going to your head' and got sucked into the whole center of the universe thing.

That's because the Leafs actually blow.

Condolences to Maclean and his family.

dino_martini
08-24-2008, 05:32 PM
Wow, RIP. My grand mother was friends with the Maclean's. I've met them a few times. Really nice people.

TC2002
08-24-2008, 11:56 PM
He mentioned that he might be in his "bubble of denial." I wonder how he's holding up with that. Hope he is given enough grieving time before heading back to work.

89s1
08-25-2008, 12:39 AM
A class act all the way. RIP to his mom.

Rocky
08-25-2008, 12:49 AM

Nope. Don Cherry's always been Don Cherry. The Ron MacLean you see now isn't the same as the Ron MacLean I used to see.
I'm only 20, but if I've seen anyone change in the last 10 years it'd be Cherry. Ron has always been reliable.

An absolutely class act and stellar professional. A true testament to broadcasting as a whole. I've always enjoyed Ron MacLean and once again his talent shines though. I'm sure his mom is very proud. RIP.