PDA

View Full Version : Interview Questions

roopi
09-08-2003, 05:43 PM
Well I'm preparing for an interview and I was just wondering you guys could post some interview questions that you have come across in the past.

Doesn't matter if they are really common either because I may have missed a few.

Thanks

Weapon_R
09-08-2003, 05:48 PM
"Tell us about a problem you've had, and how you worked with your team/peers/coworkers etc to solve it"

DUBBED
09-08-2003, 05:57 PM
"Tell me a joke."

not really a question but caught me really off gaurd... needless to say i didnt get the job

celica girl
09-08-2003, 06:36 PM
What will you bring to the company?

D'z Nutz
09-08-2003, 06:38 PM
You should consider signing up for some of those workshops offered at the U of C's career services. Since I'm going to be applying for co-op, it was mandatory to take the Resume Readiness/Cover Letter, Interview Improvement, and Tapping into the Hidden Job Market workshops, and I must say you come out of it with some really good tips. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone and they don't cost a dime. It's only an hour and a half of your time, but the stuff they tell you is pretty good. The resume one's like 2 hours, but that's cause they actually go over your resume and tell you what's good and what's not. Anyways, here's the Power Point slides they emailed people who signed up for it. Maybe it'll help you out. Good luck :thumbsup:

dj_honda
09-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
You should consider signing up for some of those workshops offered at the U of C's career services. Since I'm going to be applying for co-op, it was mandatory to take the Resume Readiness/Cover Letter, Interview Improvement, and Tapping into the Hidden Job Market workshops, and I must say you come out of it with some really good tips. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone and they don't cost a dime. It's only an hour and a half of your time, but the stuff they tell you is pretty good. The resume one's like 2 hours, but that's cause they actually go over your resume and tell you what's good and what's not. Anyways, here's the Power Point slides they emailed people who signed up for it. Maybe it'll help you out. Good luck :thumbsup:

i've heard nothing but good things about those as well.

pinoyhero
09-08-2003, 06:45 PM
It may sound kinda gay but someone you now to sit down with you and go through a practice interview get a bunch of questions together and get the person to pick out a few. You don't want your answers to be robotic but you do want to know what your going to say. Practice makes perfect, gets you less nervous as well.

Khyron
09-08-2003, 09:20 PM
Is it technical, manual labor or white collar?

MSN had an article about how more and more companies are copying microsoft and using riddles and problems in interviews. Such as, how many quarters stacked would it take to be as tall as the empire state building? How would you move Mt Fuji? How fast does a bullet shot in the air fall down? :devil:

They are not interested in answers, but how you attack the problem.

Khyron

roopi
09-08-2003, 09:38 PM
It is for an IT position. E-Business Analyst to be specific. That is on Wednesday. This is the one I am preparing for.

Tomorrow I have 'Pre-Employment Testing' with Telus for a shitty Help Desk Analyst position.

3G
09-08-2003, 09:40 PM
Give me an example of when you helped someone without being asked.

i always use "I helped my grandma cross the street" it works

mwmhong
09-08-2003, 09:45 PM
Be sure to also have questions handy to ask them (do some research on the company), it shows that you are genuinely interested in the position.

eg. "Can you tell me how my role here would fit into the whole picture?"

If you want a list of potential questions, I can FAX you a bunch of pages, PM me a Fax # if you would like me to send them.
I have both questions that they can ask you AND questions that you can ask them.

hinggu
09-08-2003, 09:54 PM
The weirdest question I ever heard of was "if you were a tree, what would you be and why?"
The only 2 good answers I know is
1)bansai tree, cuz of the uniqueness!
2)evergreen, cuz when weather changes, they stay green, just as you would be unfazed by changing working conditions!

lammer
09-08-2003, 09:57 PM
What do you know about this company?
about our history and such?

accordboi_02
09-08-2003, 09:59 PM
My fav question to ask ppl is: If you were in my position, what would you look for in a potential employee?

How ppl answer that question really helps my deicision whether or not to hire them, b/c it gives great insight to the type of person s/he is.

BigMass
09-08-2003, 10:11 PM
For employers...

putting people on the spot in interviews is bullshit because obviously people are nervous. You could loose potentially bright and smart people over some idiots that are good at bullshitting and selling themselves like used car salesmen. Most of the smart people i've met are quiet and reserved and get nervous talking to people. But i'd take them over some loud mouthed confident bullshitter that couldnt put 2 and 2 together if his life depended on it.

Unless you're actually applying for a job as in sales then the above wont apply heh.

I've had interviews with bullshit questions many times. The best you can do is bullshit back and hope for the best. In the end, it's all just a pile of bullshit anyways!

Shaolin
09-08-2003, 10:47 PM
chances are you'll get a shit load of past behavioral and situational questions where like someone says "think of a problem with this and that and tell me how you resolved it" which is total crap, I guess it doesn't take into account any situational questions or ambiguous problems and questions.. blah. Some companies do ask questions like "Lets say this happens, what would you do" and this and that.

OPGForce
09-08-2003, 11:12 PM
Strengths & Weaknesses? Simple question, but tough to answer correctly. Good luck with the interview…it took me over year to find another IT job after I got laid off so, don’t feel bad if it takes you a while. I know lots of people with “Computer Science” degrees that can’t find a job.

Superesc
09-08-2003, 11:17 PM
"How good are you at Counterstrike?"

EstoMax
09-08-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Superesc
"How good are you at Counterstrike?"
:rofl:

3G
09-09-2003, 09:44 AM
Typical Job Application

NAME: Ross Ayr

SEX: Not yet. Still looking.

DESIRED POSITION: 6 would be good.

DESIRED SALARY: $185,000 a year plus stock options. If that's not possible, make an offer (any offer) and we can haggle.

LAST POSITION HELD: A target for middle management hostility.

EDUCATION: Yes, but it doesn't seem to be paying off.

LAST SALARY: Way less than I'm worth.

MOST NOTABLE ACHIEVEMENT: My incredible collection of stolen pens and post-it notes.

REASON FOR LEAVING LAST POSITION: It sucked.

HOURS AVAILABLE TO WORK: Any.

PREFERRED HOURS: 1:30-3:30 p.m., Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, with a half-hour break around 2:00 p.m.

DO YOU HAVE ANY SPECIAL SKILLS?: Yes, but they're better suited to a more intimate environment and I don't like to get caught doing them at work.

MAY WE CONTACT YOUR CURRENT EMPLOYER?: If I had one, would I be here?

DO YOU HAVE ANY PHYSICAL CONDITIONS THAT WOULD PROHIBIT YOU FROM LIFTING UP TO 50 LBS?: Of what?

DO YOU HAVE A CAR?: I think the more appropriate question here would be "Do you have a car that runs?"

HAVE YOU RECEIVED ANY SPECIAL AWARDS OR RECOGNITION?: I may already be a winner of the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes.

DO YOU SMOKE?: On the job, no; on my breaks, yes; substance - I rather not say.

WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE DOING IN FIVE YEARS?: Living in the Bahamas with a fabulously wealthy, dumb, sexy blonde super model who thinks I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread. Who am I kidding, I'd like to be doing that right now.

DO YOU CERTIFY THAT THE ABOVE IS TRUE AND COMPLETE TO THE BEST OF YOUR KNOWLEDGE?: Yes. Absolutely.

SIGN HERE: Pisces with Libra rising

littledan
09-09-2003, 10:07 AM
i'm in engineering co-op at the uofa so i've had close to 35 interviews over the last 4 years... main thing is to relax and be yourself. alot of thier questions are bullshit... but you can easily tell what they want to hear. they will ask you those behavioral questions. usually they want to hear what the situation was, what you did to resolve it, how did you go about doing that, and what was the result. have a couple of scenarios for common questions and you'll be ok. weapon was right on the money. they will always ask about conflicts/etc. with coworkers and how you resolved them. good luck!

SinisterProbeGt
09-09-2003, 10:15 AM
At my company, we would ask you "you" questions
What do you bring to the table?
What sets you aside from the rest?
What would say is your biggest acompishment?
tell me about yourself?
Why should I hire you?

Those questions can be a killer if you dont have a valid response and try not to ramble and sah "umm" and "like" Alot.

roopi
09-09-2003, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the Powerpoint and the questions guys. Some of these will definately help tomorrow.

accordboi_02
09-09-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by BigMass
For employers...

putting people on the spot in interviews is bullshit because obviously people are nervous. You could loose potentially bright and smart people over some idiots that are good at bullshitting and selling themselves like used car salesmen. Most of the smart people i've met are quiet and reserved and get nervous talking to people. But i'd take them over some loud mouthed confident bullshitter that couldnt put 2 and 2 together if his life depended on it.

It's not necessarily the reponses that we're actually looking for; it's the confidence a person has in their responses. If people truly are bright and smart, then SHOW IT!!

yes, a lot of questions are bullshit, but an interview is all about selling yourself! If you have the qualifications, and the overall intelligence, then being nervous is acceptable, but it shouldn't be to a point where you can't look the interviewer in the eye when responding; having a lack of confidence/enthusiasm in your answers, etc.

You have to show the interviewer(s) that you are the BEST for the job; and I don't think anyone who is quiet and shy is ever putting forth their best side.

Just my $0.02.

nickopolis
09-09-2003, 09:14 PM
Heres a bullshit one i got when appyling at sport chek when i was 14.
what is the hardest thing you have ever been through in your life....? i mean whatthehell kind of question it that?

BigMass
09-09-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by nickopolis
Heres a bullshit one i got when appyling at sport chek when i was 14.
what is the hardest thing you have ever been through in your life....? i mean whatthehell kind of question it that?

"The hardest thing so far in my life would have to be thinking up a clam licking answer to your fucking turd burglerling question, Sir."

roopi
09-10-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by BigMass

"The hardest thing so far in my life would have to be thinking up a clam licking answer to your fucking turd burglerling question, Sir."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

roopi
09-11-2003, 12:15 AM
Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone. Even though none of these questions were asked similar questions were asked so I was very prepared.

Also the interview.zip provided is worth the download! :thumbsup: I'll be looking at that before every interview. Hopefully I won't need another for a while.

Just to let everyone know I passed the Telus testing (big deal:rolleyes: ).

The E-Business Analyst Interview went great! I hope they were impressed as I was with myself. I should know soon enough.

Thanks again!

AutodreamMarvin
02-17-2004, 10:22 PM
anyone have the uofc ppt presentation in word form.
ie, all the info on word or similar?

cappachihngo
02-17-2004, 10:34 PM
mmm ya i would say, go to the interview workshops at the university and do a bit of research about the company... o and good luck with the interview:thumbsup:

Def_3
03-06-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by roopi
It is for an IT position. E-Business Analyst to be specific. That is on Wednesday. This is the one I am preparing for.

Tomorrow I have 'Pre-Employment Testing' with Telus for a shitty Help Desk Analyst position.

:werd: going throught the hiring process is long and tedious at Telus, but they have great pay, excellent benefits, and support schooling, so GOOD LUCK YO! :thumbsup: