PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!! Truck is stuck

forbiddenera
08-21-2008, 02:07 PM
Okay, I've gone done and fucked myself a bit here.

I went out on a trail in Waiparous, not planning on doing anything serious, and hit a big puddle that I thought was small.

http://idealsound.ca/stuck1.jpg
http://idealsound.ca/stuck2.jpg
http://idealsound.ca/stuck3.jpg
http://idealsound.ca/stuck4.jpg

Fortunately after some long hours and waiting, this lovely gentleman showed up with a polaris 6x6 and some tow ropes, and got us out:

http://idealsound.ca/unstuck.jpg

However, my truck will not start now, and I'm not the most experienced when it comes to vehicles. I had someone else come down the trail and boost me to the point where she almost turned over, and then wouldn't move.

The guy in the 6x6 pulled the truck a few hundred feet and we tried to jump start it with a sorta dead battery and it wouldn't go, the second guy boosted me until it almost went and then like I said it wouldn't move after that, and we were unable to budge the engine by pushing the truck in gear and our towrope snapped when trying to pull it.

Now my truck is stuck on the trail, I can't get it to start though I suppose its had some time to dry out.. Not sure how that will affect it..

My brother, whom is more competent with vehicles suggested it might be stuck on the compression stroke and that my engine has good compression and thats why we probably couldn't budge it.. I dunno.

I'm not sure what to do now, and I don't know anyone who can help me so I'm turning to the community in desperate hopes..

The biggest problem, really, is that I'm flat broke, just started my insurance which I still have to pay this month and I don't get paid for a bit. I'm really hoping someone is up to the challenge just for the hell of it but I'm willing to offer anyone who helps me a $100 reward plus gas money (which I honestly can not pay right away).

I know this is asking for a lot but I'm hoping there's someone out there addicted to wheeling who knows my pain and has a 4x4 and equipment to get out there and help me and failing getting it started, towing it to the highway.

I'm at a complete loss of what to do right now and I'm tempted to just leave my truck there to rot and rust away as it seems any other options are hopeless or too expensive.

Wehbeast
08-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Im guessing you hydrolocked your engine out there

Oldskool
08-21-2008, 02:18 PM
you might of sucked water into your engine, and possibly bent your rods, completely fucking your engine.... might have to say goodbye to your truck

forbiddenera
08-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Well, that's not good news so far.. I did check the oil though and didn't see any water in it and it looked fine..

JRSC00LUDE
08-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Minus the fact you may have destroyed your engine, that is fucking awesome! :clap:

Grogador
08-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Cross fingers that distributor/electricals just got wet...

Got AMA? :D

bituerbo
08-21-2008, 02:43 PM
Pull all the plugs and crank engine for a few seconds. How does the valvetrain sound when cranking?

forbiddenera
08-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Grogador
Cross fingers that distributor/electricals just got wet...

I am but, causing it to stop moving?

Though we did move it a few hundred feet before this happened, most of which was in gear, with no problems really or breaking noises.. I did check the airfilter and it was pretty wet though that was sitting 2 inches if that above water for like 20hrs

BlkMaxima
08-21-2008, 02:45 PM
Edit:

Shitty deal then.

forbiddenera
08-21-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo
Pull all the plugs and crank engine for a few seconds. How does the valvetrain sound when cranking?

The plugs are deep and I don't have the socket extension to get them out.. The truck again is also 8km down a trail in waiparous so it's not like I can run and try things.. I can keep it in mind but..

As I said when we were trying to start it, it almost turned over, the engine was cranking then it kept stopping like it was stuck on mud or something, the best crank was probably 3 or 4 full revolutions before it stuck, and it was after that one where we couldn't move it again.

Senseiz
08-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Grogador

AMA does not do tows on private roads. We had a work truck stuck in a farmers field, and AMA would not respond because it is off of public roads.

As for the 4Runner, really sucks, I hate to admit, but you might need a new engine.

forbiddenera
08-21-2008, 04:08 PM
The engine was the only thing in that truck that was great.. I never heard anything break so maybe after a rebuild it might work.. but.. I can't even get it off the trail to the highway :(

EvolutionI
08-21-2008, 07:42 PM
hopefully its nothing to costly :(

TeamBestBud
08-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Oldskool
you might of sucked water into your engine, and possibly bent your rods, completely fucking your engine.... might have to say goodbye to your truck

:werd:

sr20s14zenki
08-21-2008, 07:51 PM
My bet is wet distributor/ignition module.

silviak91
08-21-2008, 08:13 PM
My bet is wet distributor/ignition module.
+2

forbiddenera
08-21-2008, 08:18 PM
I didn't open the distributor while I was out there due to the air intake hoses being in the way and them being a bitch to remove/replace.. I did notice a bit of wetness under one of the wire boots tho so it's possible, but again it seems locked..

I have no way to get out there and do anything :(

Kennyredline
08-21-2008, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by forbiddenera
Well, that's not good news so far.. I did check the oil though and didn't see any water in it and it looked fine..
Do you mean you checked the dipstick? Oil repels water, so would you even see any on the stick?:dunno:

Supa Dexta
08-21-2008, 08:28 PM
That doesn't look deep enough to have sucked up water to me, but it all depends on how much splashed up there entering it. Pull the plugs and turn it over, bring a jumper pack or another vehicle to boost with, and just turn it Over a few seconds after the plugs are out. See if its spits water. Check the plugs and if they look fine throw them in and try and start it up, chances are if it didn't suck water, it may start fine after sitting there drying out now.

barmanjay
08-21-2008, 08:38 PM
tsk tsk tsk

#1 rule - never wheel alone!

#2 - puddles and no snorkle = baaaaad!!

If the engine wont turn at all,.. might be hydro-locked

best thing to try is pull ALL the plugs,.. and squirt a bit of oil in,.. or heck wd40 for that matter, let it soak for a while

I'm willing to bet you went in fast didn't you

The Cosworth
08-21-2008, 08:41 PM
will the battery hold a charge?

I almost want to say that you have wrecked some electrical somewhere, possibly your connection to the started if it is weak turning over.

Grogador
08-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Senseiz
AMA does not do tows on private roads.

Wow ok, good to know.

So, Beyond Cruise to Waiparous this weekend? Google maps says it's only 75km... I've got tools, jumper cables, booster pack, tow strap... could my fwd beater make it to your truck? Shiet bring some smokies and beers and we'll have a jolly ole time :thumbsup:

barmanjay
08-21-2008, 08:49 PM
However, my truck will not start now, and I'm not the most experienced when it comes to vehicles. I had someone else come down the trail and boost me to the point where she almost turned over, and then wouldn't move.

The guy in the 6x6 pulled the truck a few hundred feet and we tried to jump start it with a sorta dead battery and it wouldn't go, the second guy boosted me until it almost went and then like I said it wouldn't move after that, and we were unable to budge the engine by pushing the truck in gear and our towrope snapped when trying to pull it.

....stuck on the compression stroke.....

enter water into the engine on a compression stroke = bad

barmanjay
08-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Would have to ask my wife and make sure there are no family plans,.. but maybe sunday.

big maybe, and i wont go out without another 4x

maybe throw a post on calgaryjeep.com

there might be a few guys going out this weekend

em2ab
08-21-2008, 09:02 PM
Your truck will likely be broken into before you get back after telling all of Alberta where it is.

But this happened to my friend, he tried to go through a river and I ended up pulling him about 10 kilometers back out the road:

http://danmaher.com/pictures/albums/Labour-Day-Weekend-2003/12_G.sized.jpg

where he squeezed a bucket of water out of his air filter and was met by a tow truck before buying a new engine.

http://danmaher.com/pictures/albums/Labour-Day-Weekend-2003/15_G.sized.jpg

forbiddenera
08-21-2008, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by barmanjay
tsk tsk tsk

#1 rule - never wheel alone!

#2 - puddles and no snorkle = baaaaad!!

If the engine wont turn at all,.. might be hydro-locked

best thing to try is pull ALL the plugs,.. and squirt a bit of oil in,.. or heck wd40 for that matter, let it soak for a while

I'm willing to bet you went in fast didn't you

Actually I went in pretty slow..

Like I said we pulled it a few hundred feet almost in gear and it was turning fine before it locked.. We didn't try very hard though after it locked and the rope that snapped was shitty too.

I really hope its not locked. :banghead:

forbiddenera
08-21-2008, 11:22 PM
ps. why did someone rename the thead?

it may mislead those who fail to read well ;) its not stuck in the mud anymore, just, stuck there.. haha

Benny
08-21-2008, 11:30 PM
http://www.4wheeler.ca/

http://forum.calgaryjeep.com/

Those will probably be your best options. They'll give you a ton of shit for not taking someone out with you but someone on there is bound to be going out this weekend and will probably be able to help you out man. Good luck.

UndrgroundRider
08-21-2008, 11:42 PM
I wonder what pulling a hydro locked engine with the tranny in gear would do to it. If it weren't already screwed... it will be now.

Although if that were the case I think the tires wouldn't turn and you'd just end up dragging them. So that might be an indication that you did not hydrolock :thumbsup:

forbiddenera
08-21-2008, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by UndrgroundRider
I wonder what pulling a hydro locked engine with the tranny in gear would do to it. If it weren't already screwed... it will be now.

Although if that were the case I think the tires wouldn't turn and you'd just end up dragging them. So that might be an indication that you did not hydrolock :thumbsup:

that was the hope in the first place but after it almost turned over is when it locked up.. maybe there was some excess water somewhere and thats when it locked

jeez i suck

forbiddenera
08-22-2008, 11:12 AM

Actually I went in pretty slow..

now that i rethought about it theres no way I could've been going that fast, I was in second in 4lo

TKRIS
08-22-2008, 11:19 AM
If you didn't do anything stupid like try to start it when it was still in the water, you should be alright.
Barring stupidity, it's probably an electrical issue. Next time, bring straps and another truck and cover your distributer in white grease.

revelations
08-22-2008, 11:24 AM
I read the OP wrong.... it DIDNT die in the puddle, you just turned it off.

So it WAS running fine AFTER you got stuck in the water.

How much time was there between you turning the truck off and trying to restart it?

em2ab
08-22-2008, 12:35 PM

now that i rethought about it theres no way I could've been going that fast, I was in second in 4lo

WTF were you doing in 4 low? That's for towing houses or something. You shouldn't need anything more than 4 high in the woods.

forbiddenera
08-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by revelations
I read the OP wrong.... it DIDNT die in the puddle, you just turned it off.

So it WAS running fine AFTER you got stuck in the water.

How much time was there between you turning the truck off and trying to restart it?

My memories a little hazy but I'm pretty sure it died, not sure if thats cuz i physically stopped in gear and stalled cuz of getting stuck.

I did try to start it in the water since everything important seemed to be above water but it wouldn't even turn at all while it was in the water really, so i'm hoping nothing else got sucked in

and whats wrong with 4lo? i pretty much idled through the whole trail

Benny
08-22-2008, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by em2ab

WTF were you doing in 4 low? That's for towing houses or something. You shouldn't need anything more than 4 high in the woods.

In just driving around in the bush 4hi should be all you need. Mudholes and shit, I'd probably hit them in 4lo.

TKRIS
08-22-2008, 01:46 PM

Hahaha.
I can tell you're a real wheeling guru. :rofl:

barmanjay
08-22-2008, 02:26 PM

:rofl: :banghead: :rofl:

I'm not a guru,.. but the many times I've been out,.. I've used the low gears almost the whole time while on the trails

I'm thinking chances are you didn't hydro-lock

hopefully if your truck isn't stripped by now,.. it may start up

forbiddenera
08-22-2008, 02:46 PM
Well I'd fuckin' hope no one touched it or they got a load of bad karma coming to kick their ass..

I still have no way out there though.. even if it is hydrolocked, from the googling I've done it seems possible to get it running after clearing it out..

96GrandAMGT
08-23-2008, 01:01 AM
danm dude why didnt you throw the 33s on it first? hopefully it works out for ya

narou
08-23-2008, 11:28 AM
lol I got a car stuck out in waiprous it sucks man.. Hope it works out for you.

forbiddenera
08-23-2008, 12:55 PM
a car?
hahahahahaha..wow..I feel better now..

I'm goin out there right now to rescue her.. wish me luck

forbiddenera
08-23-2008, 01:53 PM
apparently not

my friend ditched out
:banghead:

Supa Dexta
08-23-2008, 01:55 PM
He was probably on marijuana driving to your place and got lost.. Probably is out robbing liquor stores as we speak to pay for his addiction..

forbiddenera
08-23-2008, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
He was probably on marijuana driving to your place and got lost.. Probably is out robbing liquor stores as we speak to pay for his addiction..

sounds about right

canuckcarguy
08-24-2008, 09:48 AM
Got a credit card? Why not rent a 4x4 and bring some straps and a buddy and pull it out. At least it gets you off a private road, then AMA will get you the rest of the way home. Or you might get lucky and manage to get it started once you're on dry ground and can do some wrenching.

Plus, bring good booster cables. The typical booster cable isn't really adequate for providing proper amperage to start a completely dead motor, especially one that's proving difficult to turn.

narou
08-24-2008, 10:10 AM
a car?
hahahahahaha..wow..I feel better now..

I'm goin out there right now to rescue her.. wish me luck

yah luckily I didnt go out there alone.. Got some under carrage damage thought :(

D. Dub
08-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by canuckcarguy
Got a credit card? Why not rent a 4x4 and bring some straps and a buddy and pull it out. At least it gets you off a private road, then AMA will get you the rest of the way home. Or you might get lucky and manage to get it started once you're on dry ground and can do some wrenching.

Plus, bring good booster cables. The typical booster cable isn't really adequate for providing proper amperage to start a completely dead motor, especially one that's proving difficult to turn.

Or just pay for a 4wd wrecker to get it :dunno:

2BLUE
08-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Enough of what you should of done.

I sent you a PM .

I don't have my big truck right now but i do have suv and quad.

I have alot of recovery equitment.

EuroDubbs
08-24-2008, 11:45 AM
replace ur air filter

forbiddenera
08-24-2008, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by canuckcarguy

yeah my cables are shit
fortunately someone off the YT forums is coming too, im hoping they have a decent set.

leaving now (actually) this time to go rescue her

wish me luck .. again

2BLUE
08-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Good Luck

Take Pictures!

Grogador
08-24-2008, 09:55 PM
so you get it home?

forbiddenera
08-24-2008, 10:31 PM
half way
need a flatbed now

engine is seized.

2BLUE
08-24-2008, 10:37 PM
seized sounds iffy...more like hydrolocked unless you were beating on it hard.

forbiddenera
08-24-2008, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by 2BLUE
seized sounds iffy...more like hydrolocked unless you were beating on it hard.

hope so
wouldn't move with no compression though
didnt have any wd40 but we cranked it pretty hard and it wouldnt budge

Supa Dexta
08-25-2008, 12:12 AM
Did you even remove the plugs like we said?

2BLUE
08-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Take all the plugs out

Turn truck over several times pushing all water out.

Dry Distributor completly.

Keep doing this intill it starts.

Sometimes you'll have to do this for hours..

You can also spray a fogger or wd-40 into each spark plug hole (plugs should be out when you do this)

Post some pictures so people can see how submerged you really were.

Hope that helps. Dont give up. If you were really deep also do an oil change maybe even 2 oil changes.

Its very rare to seize an engine inless you were bagging it in the water. And even then i would still say hydrolocked.

forbiddenera
08-25-2008, 12:15 PM

wouldn't move with no compression though

no compression = plugs removed
really no compression = intake manifold removed

:drama:

forbiddenera
08-25-2008, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by 2BLUE
Take all the plugs out

Turn truck over several times pushing all water out.

Dry Distributor completly.

Keep doing this intill it starts.

Sometimes you'll have to do this for hours..

You can also spray a fogger or wd-40 into each spark plug hole (plugs should be out when you do this)

Post some pictures so people can see how submerged you really were.

Hope that helps. Dont give up. If you were really deep also do an oil change maybe even 2 oil changes.

Its very rare to seize an engine inless you were bagging it in the water. And even then i would still say hydrolocked.

engine will not move with plugs out
tried pretty hard

sr20s14zenki
08-25-2008, 12:17 PM
see if the starter works outside the truck, or if its broken.

alloroc
08-25-2008, 03:31 PM
Waiparous alone in the mud?
I hope everything is OK but read on it could be worse.

In my younger years I used to head out there a lot with my dad and a few of his buddies to motorbike we were out once and came across this guy standing up to his waist in a big muskeg pond holding a cable. At first I though he was doing siesmic or something. We knew it was soft and always rode around but we had to ask this guy if he was ok. Not a lot of people went riding back then and it could be pretty desolate. The conversation went like this.

US: "Hey you ok alone out here we can double you back"

Him: "I'll be ok I have a buddy coming with a winch"

Us in Confusion: "A winch?? We should be able to lift or pry your bike out with 5 of us and some wood logs."

Him: "A bike? no I'm standing on the roof of my truck this is my winch line"

US: "Oh fuck, good luck."

Never did see him again to find out if he got his truck out.

PS: Danny was one of the first to climb "Danny's hill" but it was named after him because the spots where we had big crashes got names. Danny hit a deer on the way up once and broke his leg ... and rode out. Of course the name stuck because of the popularity of the hill but there were others like "Petereater" A sandy hill where my old man broke his kneecap.

TKRIS
08-25-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by alloroc

Him: "A bike? no I'm standing on the roof of my truck this is my winch line"

Haha.
Yeah. A couple years ago I got stuck and climbed out my window to get my winchline. Instead of crawling over the hood, I tested the ground. Seemed OK, so I started walking to the front of the Jeep. Got near the front bumper, and promptly sunk chest deep in the stickiest, most suffocating mud I've ever seen. Looked solid, but I tried pushing an 8' 2x6 that was laying nearby down to pop myself out, and I couldn't feel bottom.

I got out eventually, but had to abandon my jeans and 1 shoe in order to do so. And that, kids, is the story of the mudhole in Waiparous that ate my pants. Needless to say, it was a slightly awkward afternoon of pantless wheeling...

forbiddenera
08-25-2008, 03:52 PM
haha..

thanks guys..cheerin' me up..

sr20s14zenki
08-25-2008, 03:56 PM
I submerged my jimmy in a biiiig water puddle in the cut line up there, my buddy took his quad thru and he was fine, so i tryed, big mistake, water over the hood. ended up filling my brand new rebuilt tranny with water, made it home, sold it (=

Supa Dexta
08-27-2008, 07:07 PM
Update?

forbiddenera
08-28-2008, 09:35 AM
u-haul has been giving me the FUCK AROUND on towing equipment

2 days wasted!@$#

at least, if they do actually get me the equipment, i wont be paying for it. lets hope my truck isn't impounded by then.

em2ab
08-28-2008, 11:46 AM
Seriously, nobody's willing to go haul you out to a road where you can get a tow truck? If I had a rig I would.

2BLUE
08-28-2008, 01:08 PM
I was out there last night on my quad and your truck is still there.

The trail your parked on is called "lost knife trail"

forbiddenera
08-28-2008, 07:31 PM
anyway someone made off with my bosch lights, kicked in my signal light and stole my CB antenna, so you're welcome, whoever you were, for the entertainment and free stuff karma will deal with you appropriately.

anyway

verdict..blown headgasket..

calling toyota tomorrow (head gasket recall)..i dont have much hope though..

Seriously, nobody's willing to go haul you out to a road where you can get a tow truck? If I had a rig I would.

my friend did, that happened sunday, been trying to get a trailer from uhaul since then.

forbiddenera
08-29-2008, 12:29 PM
doesn't qualify for the recall

time to start looking for a 5vz

Unknown303
08-29-2008, 12:34 PM
That's shitty man, If i was in town I would have jumped at the opportunity to go on a recovery mission.

My truck loves towing things. And doesn't get to nearly enough.

em2ab
08-29-2008, 01:50 PM
Your truck will likely be broken into before you get back after telling all of Alberta where it is.]

anyway someone made off with my bosch lights, kicked in my signal light and stole my CB antenna, so you're welcome, whoever you were, for the entertainment and free stuff karma will deal with you appropriately.

:confused:

The Cosworth
08-30-2008, 09:22 AM
how would an engine appear seized with a blown head gasket.

that doesnt make sense to me